Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Have you ever had an "Internet Friend"?

Northeast PA. Live near the NASCAR track, with deer, bears, rabbits. On an always growing lawn.
    With 'internet buddies', there's always the "catfish" problem. A catfish is one, who trolls the net with a fake persona to get money, affection or friends. But both of us were not interested in any relationship other than net pals. The most expensive things we sent each other was fridge magnets. For some reason, it's easier to talk about things than with a person sitting across from you.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybuddy View Post
    With 'internet buddies', there's always the "catfish" problem. A catfish is one, who trolls the net with a fake persona to get money, affection or friends. But both of us were not interested in any relationship other than net pals. The most expensive things we sent each other was fridge magnets. For some reason, it's easier to talk about things than with a person sitting across from you.
    I actually met falcon a few times in person, he visited me in Fresno but was a gentleman and spent the night in a hotel. He always sent me flowers and treated me to a movie and dinner, etc. also sent me a beautiful lladro angel for my collection.

I don't think I gave him anything.

He was my first internet buddy, I had just lost my husband and he had just lost his wife the year before.

My kids will still occasionally inquire about him and ask if I'm still in touch with him.

I've had a lot of internet buddies over the years. I've gotten together with 3 different friends from the now defunct PC Club Forum. Two of my friends joined me for breakfast/lunch on a couple of occasions. The 3rd joined me to attended the SCALE conference in L.A in 2010.
    Be strong when you are weak, brave when you are scared, and humble when you are victorious

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    Oldman, you're very compassionate. You have my respect.
    Thank you. Both of their stories are tragedies. Neither of the two should be warehoused for life. The girl was in my wife's history class at the local high school. My wife liked the girl, who she said always had her homework done on time, paid attention in class, did well on tests and showed everyone respect. Some of the stories she writes to us about that goes on in prison breaks our hearts. We are planning another visit in the near future. When my wife was still teaching, she had to get written permission from the Superintendent to visit her.
    "SEMPER FI"

I have several. But none of them were or are romantic connections, even though a couple of them are men. I formed real friendships with some of the people I met on Eons. We gravitated over to Facebook when Eons abruptly shut down. Some of we ladies refer to each other as "Sis". We have provided support systems for each other through a myriad of personal issues and heartaches. I've met five in person (three at once and the other two separately) and we were SO happy to finally meet one another. One of the ladies who had grown so dear to me (from Eons/FB) had her daughter drive to another state so we could meet up. I booked a room for them at my timeshare while I was going to be there, since it was closest to where they live. But she was willing to drive even further if I hadn't suggested the closer location. We had a ball and are looking forward to doing it again, perhaps next year. Another lady grew up in my city, graduated the same year as I did from a "rival" highschool and we'd never met until FB. One internet friend is a professional musician who used to call me several times a week (now it's about once a week). When I was working on my music, she sent me some instrumental tracks to use free of charge. I took a hiatus and unfortunately when I resumed the music program I was using had lost several of the tracks, including hers. I've had the pleasure of talking on the phone with some that I have not been able to meet.

Yes. Just a casual friend, but we enjoy sending one another occasional updates. We share photographs sometimes as it's a common interest. Very different lifestyles, would never have met otherwise. She lives in rural New York State, so I occasionally send her boxes of Meyer lemons from our trees. We have 3 mature trees and often have more than we or local friends can use up.

Oh yes, I have some who are like 2nd family to me.

Yes, male and female. I met my fiancé on the net also. Right here as a matter of fact.

It would be nice to have one but don't right now. Was enjoying the one I had until I found out it was a fake profile so am more careful now.

Yes,I have a couple internet friends I met on another website similar to this one. One of my 'friends' warmly welcomed me to that site when I first joined,she lived in Norfolk,VA.We exchanged private emails&phone#'s,we would call each other every couple of months. She was in failing health,talked to her a couple days before she died in July. My other 'friend' lives in Tampa Bay,Fla we privately email each other. She surprised me last wk when she called,we had a nice,long conversation.
    I have no desire to be on Facebook. Sue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.