Questions

Questions

I was thinking about this website the other day and I found myself asking questions that I had no answer for and thought maybe you wouldn't mind answering. Since my retirement, I have become involved with another fellow in helping people set up their own website and while doing some work on their site, I had the following questions pop in my head about this (Senior Forums) site. If you prefer not to answer, I am fine with it, after all, it is your site. So, here goes:

1. How many registered users (members) do you currently have?
    2. Does your site, or one of your moderators drop a user due to lack of activity after a certain period of inactivity time?
    3. How do you decide what is inappropriate conversation or remarks?
    4. Where do you draw the line with inappropriate language or specific words?

I know that's a lot of questions and I have more, but I will stop here. I just wanted to pick your brain on these few more important questions. We have a couple that is in the midst of developing a site dealing with travel, similar to Trip Advisor, but not to their (Trip Advisor's) fullest extent. The best way that I can describe it is that it's the same only different. The site, if it comes to fruition, is a very cool idea and I am proud to be part of it. There are presently four of us working on it, me being the novice of the group, so I am learning and gaining an abundance of information. There are also two graphic artists involved in this project.

Thanks for for any information or suggestions that you may care to pass along. Although some of the people that are involved in this project are professionals, I have learned from being a pilot that there is always more to learn and that no one person knows it all.
    "SEMPER FI"

I'm just helping out here Oldman, but I think I can answer your questions. You can view the registered member information at the bottom left of the forum page, currently 2,444 members. Nobody has ever been dropped from the site due to inactivity, some folks might just read and not post much for various reasons, or be away from the forum by choice for personal or health reasons. The guidelines for language and content are in the forum rules, some words are censored and can't be easily written out here. I guess the line is drawn when the conversation is vulgar and offensive to our readers.

OK, but just to be clear, each forum can set their own rules as to what they will or will not allow, correct? And, maybe you know the answer to this question; Can a member/user be dropped due to lack of activity, or if a member's/user's comments are normally considered inappropriate, regardless if they offend or not? If a site is going to drop members/users for any reason must the administrator mention this in the rules or don't they have to list any rules and just run the site as they see fit without cause to worry about any legal action? For example; we have no way of knowing the color, sex or religion of any member'user. So, if we decide to drop "Be_Gone" (fictitious name) for whatever reason and the person is in a minority group, such as being a Muslim, we wouldn't have to worry about being sued? The site, of course will be incorporated once completed as an LLC to avoid anyone's personal assets being affected in case of bankruptcy. However, anything that we can avoid know would only help to move things along.

When the site that is being built is completed, or maybe I should say hopefully completed, the intent is to copyright the site through a copyright attorney. Is this the normal procedure? As you can tell, I am looking for some free advice and guidance and even though a few of the people helping with the layout of the site and have years of experience, I am trying to gain some knowledge in this area, so I can communicate with them effectively and without sounding like the dummy that I am at this point. I can easily fly a 400,000 pound passenger jet, but can't get past learning how to correctly and legally setup a website. Jeesh!
    "SEMPER FI"

Most of the questions in your second post never occurred to me, even after running dozens of forums for more than a decade. Forum admins run their forums pretty much any way they see fit, and they change a lot as they are more experienced or the forums grow bigger.

I did receive a few copyright complaints and one lawyer letter over the years, but a simple deletion is enough to make them happy. I also complained to other websites for copyright problems. Check out DMCA for copyright issues.

You don't have to worry about any of these things, IMHO. Focus on building the site and getting some traffic, that's all it matters.

Thanks so much for all of the information. We have the site about 40% completed, so there is still so much more to be done. We spoke with one company regarding copyright laws and we were told that in the beginning when the internet was in its infancy, the internet was not held to any copyright laws, but that has changed 180 degrees. Thus, the need to have a copyright attorney because the site will be using brand names of established companies. It's like every time we use one of the brand names, the company will want to be paid a royalty. With that in my mind, I don't know how people can post records and movie clips on YouTube without seeking the owner's permission or paying someone some cash for using the material. This make me think that there's more to it than what I was made to believe. Thanks again.
    "SEMPER FI"

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.