Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cq..cq..cq

Quote Originally Posted by corkyzdad View Post
    I know what you mean Pete, some peeps aren't happy unless they have sumfin to gripe about,
    The funny/sad thing about the neighbor was there was no attempt to ask me if there was a way to work around this problem.

I know being old sometimes has us set in our ways and I am no exception however when the need arises I am willing to look for a compromise.

...though it was in the middle of nowhere and nothing but an old cabin I do miss my old ham shack

pete in shack.jpg

So what was your most exciting contact guys? Must admit, with the MP4 callsign I probably had a slight advantage and can count King Hussein of Jordan as a regular contact and even a friend at the time but the most exciting was my long chat with both Eugene Cernan and John Young aboard the Apollo 10 as she flew around the moon! Kept losing them as they went into the dead spot at the back of the moon.
    I initially spoke with WA6VHD MMlll on board the prime recovery ship and he patched me through to the capsule!!

Apollo 10-1.jpgApollo 10-2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Mike View Post
    So what was your most exciting contact guys?
    'Cap'n Mike' your kidding right there would be few hams able to equal those QSO's you mentioned.

Yes I have had a couple 'not as famous or important' like Art Bell and Bob Heil but to me isolated like I was on the edge of nowhere in my shack it was a combination of new locations and just QSO's with other hams that filled my day and made amateur radio a fulfilling avocation. I might say that one highlight was a ham from Germany I spoke with on the radio who became a follower of my blog and eventually ended up knocking on my cabin door. But I think the greatest pleasure was just having a long satisfying conversation with other hams, and I feel this was the basis for my article "Why we are hams" published in QST and I invite you to read it reprinted on my blog at...

https://kl1hbalaska.wordpress.com/20...y-we-are-hams/

P1010019.jpg

It's the memories Pete and there's plenty of them.

At the time I spoke with Apollo I only had an old AM DX100 transmitter and a B28 ex RN receiver. I had to off tune the TX as the MM was on SSB! It worked! My aerial was a huge, home made 10, 15 & 20M cubical quad made from bamboos mounted on a central spider I made in my workshop. Had a great F-B ratio!

antenna-santa-antenna4.jpg

hello world --- hou-hou - this is santa claus of finland

OF9X_XMAS_EVENT.jpg

.- -. -.. / .- / ...- . .-. -.-- / .... .- .--. .--. -.-- / -.-. .... .-. .. ... - -- .- ... / - --- / -.-- --- ..- / - --- --- #

"And a very Happy Christmas to you"!

“Ion, it will be cheaper for me to text Morse code than to make a phone call to you in Tiraspol”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.