Have You Ever Gone on a Cruise?

Question Have You Ever Gone on a Cruise?

I never went on a cruise, but if I did, it would be an Alaskan Cruise like Debbie in Seattle took. Have you ever gone on a cruise, and if so where did you go? Was it enjoyable? Has anyone ever gone on a cruise and hated it?

Well, yes, I have, Alaska, most recently. We’ve been on cruises through Europe (Viking),China (again Viking, it was land and water), the Caribbean and South America (we also took a detour to the Galįpagos Islands). My husband is good for 10days, then he’s ready to jump ship. Me? I enjoy cruises because I don’t have to cook, clean nor even make a bed in the morning. Yes, I know folks who hate cruising, they like the ‘boots on the ground’ trips. I think a lot of opinions on cruising is if the person is on a ship that fits their personality. I couldn’t imagine being on a cruise with a bunch of kids, don’t get me wrong, love kids, but raised mine years ago. Also, for us, snooty cruise lines where it full of snooty people. Each to their own.
    Saying all that, we’re light weights as far as cruising compared to folks who have hundreds of cruises under their belts.

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    My first cruise was on one of the last voyages of the old Queen Elizabeth back in 1967. Genteel British going-to-pot poshness at its best.

There have been a few since then. I love cruises. Where else can your biggest decisions be:

#1. When am I going to eat next?
    #2. WHAT am I going to eat next?
    #3. Is it time to eat yet?
    #4. OK, dining room or buffet?
    #5. Pina Colada or Margarita?
    #6. Massage or facial?
    #7. Pedicure or manicure?
    #8. Sushi or pizza?
    #9. Midnight buffet?
    #10. Shall I ring for room service?
    #11. Magician show or comedian?
    #12. Shall I take a stroll on deck to work up an appetite?
    #13. Should I ask the cabin steward to help stuff me into my swimsuit?
    #14. Is it time to eat yet?

People are always complaining about the food on cruises. Why? If I don't have to shop for it, schlep it home, put it away, get it back out, mix it, mince it, chop it, fry it, bake it, put it on the table, clean it up and put away the leftovers, how bad can it BE? If you get something you don't like, you just call the waiter over and order something else. It doesn't work that way at home, does it?

I don't know about you, but I don't have any little elves at home that sneak into my house while I'm away and make the beds, leave clean towels and straighten up the room. And the little slackers certainly don't leave clever towel animals on the bedspread and chocolates on my pillow.

Yep, give me a cruise any day.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

We went on a cruise to Alaska a few years back. My daughter lived in Oregon at the time so we decided to visit her and take the cruise also. When I made the reservations I told them of my gluten free diet. They said it wasn't a problem. We found all the dinners that were included in our plan didn't have the gluten free food. Only the very expensive restaurants did. Needless to say I ended up with very little choices. Our cabin was below a very noisy night club that went on almost all night long. This was changed for us but we were both very tired the whole next day. The weather was so cold we didn't spend to much time on deck even to see the views. We also didn't have a passport for Canada so some ports were off limits. Some of this was our fault. We should have checked weather conditions for that time of year and checked to see if there was enough to keep us occupied because we didn't get off at all ports.I was glad to get off the ship and continue on to my daughters and had a wonderful time visiting her. All was not lost.

When I worked, the boss always took the management team on a week long cruise after Christmas and it was heaven!! Would love to go again!!

No, but it's on my bucket list, but just a short one. Maybe 5 days, four nights. As much as I love the water, I think being tied down on a ship for days on end would not suit me. The Alaskan cruise interests me.
    "SEMPER FI"

No, and I don't particularly fancy it - well not on a large cruise liner. Generally, we like to be in control - going where we want, when we want and changing our minds as we please. Possibly a river cruise would be OK doing overnight hops between cities. However, it's not a cheap option.
    We're not here for a long time. We're here for a good time

I don`t think that I`d much enjoy a cruise. When I started traveling, I timidly visited only all-inclusives. After a few, I realized that what I enjoyed the most was getting OUT of the resort and into the towns and countryside. The all-you-can-drink and eat resort routine wears thin after a while, and I prefer -- like Capt Lightning -- to be in control of my itinerary. Also, I like the fact that a month-long do-it-yourself vacation in the Caribbean can cost far less than a week on a cruise!

We've been on 6 of them with NO complaints, including one to Alaska & one to Hawaii.

Haven't been on any more for awhile. The ones we were on were ocean-going.

The next one I'd like to take would be on a Mississippi River paddle boat.

Okay, I would make an exception for the Mississippi River on a paddle boat. Now that really does sound interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post
    No, but it's on my bucket list, but just a short one. Maybe 5 days, four nights. As much as I love the water, I think being tied down on a ship for days on end would not suit me. The Alaskan cruise interests me.
    Generally the cruise lines use their oldest ships for the short cruises. A week to ten days is more likely to be on a newer ship that is in better condition.

We have been on 6, the one we enjoyed least was on a mega-ship with a huge number of passengers. Every port we stopped at was overwhelmed by the crowds. Every event on ship was like a cattle drive. Thee were never any vacant chairs at the pool.

The previous cruise up the inside passage to Alaska was on The Zaandam which was half the size of the mega-ship. We had a great time and it was our 50th anniversary.

Cruising in the Caribbean generally means stopping at a different island every day. In the past some were british, others french, dutch or spanish. I find long distance
    ocean passages boring, I did that in the Navy.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.