Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 22 of 22

Does Anyone Have Liver Disease?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyflowerlady View Post
    I think that this is probably true that it will not just go away on its own, and we did not expect it to go away when my husband was diagnosed with it, and neither did the doctors at the VA hospital; but they hoped that they could keep him alive for at least a while longer, and that is what we hoped for, too.
    However, I believe that our body has a wonderful power to heal itself, especially if we stop doing what was causing the problem, and start doing things that will help it to heal.
    The doctors certainly didn’t tell my husband that he would get better if he took milk thistle, turmeric, and other liver supplements, and I can’t say whether yours would go away, either; but it can never hurt to at least try.


    He was diagnosed with terminal cirrhosis, and those VA doctors usually know what they are doing; so there is not doubt that he actually had that .
    Sorry if I misunderstood. I have a better idea now. I had hepC many years ago and was cured from it but the doctor told me recently that my liver continued to scar despite being cured of Hep C. He said the scarring continues. I don't know if he is wrong or right but I will see a Hepatologist at the end of the month and see what he says. I'm glad your hubby got better.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched
    - they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller



  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthanne View Post
    Sorry if I misunderstood. I have a better idea now. I had hepC many years ago and was cured from it but the doctor told me recently that my liver continued to scar despite being cured of Hep C. He said the scarring continues. I don't know if he is wrong or right but I will see a Hepatologist at the end of the month and see what he says. I'm glad your hubby got better.
    I don't recall if you mentioned whether or not you drink alcohol, but my gastroenterologist advises me(strongly advises) to not drink any alcohol ever, period. I treated for HCV in 2012, quite a grueling ordeal. Nowadays the Harvoni tx is a cake-walk but I am happy that people have such a better treatment available.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,913
    Quote Originally Posted by tnthomas View Post
    I don't recall if you mentioned whether or not you drink alcohol, but my gastroenterologist advises me(strongly advises) to not drink any alcohol ever, period. I treated for HCV in 2012, quite a grueling ordeal. Nowadays the Harvoni tx is a cake-walk but I am happy that people have such a better treatment available.
    Yes, you are not the only one who has said alcohol is not advised. I do know that but haven't quit drinking totally. I plan to soon. I know a few that went through Harvoni and got cirrhosis right after treatment; makes me wonder about it. Thank you for your advice. I had to take Riboviron and Interferon for a year in 1999.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched
    - they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller



  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,299
    Riboviron and Interferon, kept me crazy and feeling like $h!t; add in Victrelis for more fun & games.

    I get a fibroscan periodically, as an ongoing effort to pin down the exact condition of my liver, even though I am 5 years post-treatment.

    Every year I get 1 or 2 ultrasounds done, to monitor for liver cancer.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,913
    Quote Originally Posted by tnthomas View Post
    Riboviron and Interferon, kept me crazy and feeling like $h!t; add in Victrelis for more fun & games.

    I get a fibroscan periodically, as an ongoing effort to pin down the exact condition of my liver, even though I am 5 years post-treatment.

    Every year I get 1 or 2 ultrasounds done, to monitor for liver cancer.
    Yes the R & I made me nuts and felt awful, too. I'm glad it did the job on the Hep C, though. I never heard of a Fibroscan before. I am 17 years post treatment and the CT scan found cirrhosis several weeks ago. I don't want to go through one of those biopsies again unless it's absolutely necessary. Going to ask about alternatives to it, non-invasive when I see a Hepatologist for the first time in 15 years. The last one I saw only had me come back for 2 years. Told me my liver may heal itself and did no further testing except for Hep C. Finding out now it did not. I hope your scans prove negative.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched
    - they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller



  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,299
    Fibroscans have been available in the more advanced countries, like Australia, for several years. Here in the U.S., where money interests determine your level of care, the Fibroscan is slow to be adapted.

    Equipment acquisition and training of Radiology staff having been completed, Kaiser-Permanente recently began using the Fibroscan to supplement the diagnostic process.

    Liver biopsies are falling out-of-favor, as the risks are seen as outweighing the benefits. It took my gastroenterologist five years to give me a determination on the condition of my liver.

    I still don't know exactly, but now he is saying "cirrhosis"...how much, I don't know but I've never had symptoms of a decompensated liver, so I consider that a 'win'.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,913
    Quote Originally Posted by tnthomas View Post
    Fibroscans have been available in the more advanced countries, like Australia, for several years. Here in the U.S., where money interests determine your level of care, the Fibroscan is slow to be adapted.

    Equipment acquisition and training of Radiology staff having been completed, Kaiser-Permanente recently began using the Fibroscan to supplement the diagnostic process.

    Liver biopsies are falling out-of-favor, as the risks are seen as outweighing the benefits. It took my gastroenterologist five years to give me a determination on the condition of my liver.

    I still don't know exactly, but now he is saying "cirrhosis"...how much, I don't know but I've never had symptoms of a decompensated liver, so I consider that a 'win'.
    That's a good way to look at it. I don't want a biopsy.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched
    - they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. Like liver ?
    By IKE in forum Food & Drinks
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-28-2017, 09:49 AM
  2. Breath Odors That Indicate Liver Failure?
    By WhatInThe in forum Health
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-02-2014, 04:27 PM
  3. Natural Ways To Treat Age or Liver Spots
    By SeaBreeze in forum Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-10-2014, 03:52 PM
  4. Dietary Supplements May Cause Liver Damage
    By Ozarkgal in forum Health
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-29-2013, 09:49 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2013, 07:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Mom Forum - Health Forum - Low Carb Forum - Pet Forums