Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does Anyone Have Liver Disease?

Does Anyone Have Liver Disease?

I have been diagnosed with Cirrhosis of the liver but still need more tests on that. What do you eat to be healthier if you have liver disease? Any tips? I know alcohol is bad for it!!
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched
    - they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthanne View Post
    I have been diagnosed with Cirrhosis of the liver but still need more tests on that. What do you eat to be healthier if you have liver disease? Any tips? I know alcohol is bad for it!!
    You'll need to follow a low-sodium diet, for one thing.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

Here's a list of foods that are healthy for the liver, article HERE. I would cleanse the liver by drinking clean filtered water daily, six to eight full glasses. Adding a couple of tablespoons of organic lemon juice to a glass in the morning will help too.

I was going to suggest Milk Thistle, and excellent herb for liver and liver damage, but if you have other health issues going on or are starting to take any medications, I wouldn't use anything like that without the doctor's okay. Also Chlorella and Turmeric are good for the liver, I use all of these daily just as a preventative, plus they are all good for other things too. But these supplements can be pricey, and you'd have to buy them yourself, also checking with the doc before using.

Sorry to hear you have cirrhosis, I don't think you can reverse it, but you certainly can do things to help it not get any worse. Good luck in making some positive changes.

No alcohol consumption. Surprisingly, coffee has been shown to be beneficial for the liver.

Reduce salt-sugar-fat, follow a diabetic diet to maximize your health outlook.

If you have cirrhosis and a fatty liver, there's an increased risk of liver cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by neotheone View Post
    No alcohol consumption. Surprisingly, coffee has been shown to be beneficial for the liver.

Reduce salt-sugar-fat, follow a diabetic diet to maximize your health outlook.

If you have cirrhosis and a fatty liver, there's an increased risk of liver cancer.
    Thanks for those tips.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    Here's a list of foods that are healthy for the liver, article HERE. I would cleanse the liver by drinking clean filtered water daily, six to eight full glasses. Adding a couple of tablespoons of organic lemon juice to a glass in the morning will help too.

I was going to suggest Milk Thistle, and excellent herb for liver and liver damage, but if you have other health issues going on or are starting to take any medications, I wouldn't use anything like that without the doctor's okay. Also Chlorella and Turmeric are good for the liver, I use all of these daily just as a preventative, plus they are all good for other things too. But these supplements can be pricey, and you'd have to buy them yourself, also checking with the doc before using.

Sorry to hear you have cirrhosis, I don't think you can reverse it, but you certainly can do things to help it not get any worse. Good luck in making some positive changes.
    Thank you. When I see the new doctor I will find out more about it. I certainly can drink more water!

Quote Originally Posted by jujube View Post
    You'll need to follow a low-sodium diet, for one thing.
    Thanks. I love salt but must go down on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthanne View Post
    Thanks. I love salt but must go down on it!
    Never eat table salt. It's terrible. Celtic gray sea salt or Himalayan pink salt are much better for your body. They taste saltier so most people find they eat less.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post

Excellent suggestions. I also recommend golden milk (turmeric, black pepper, ginger, cinnamon, honey and almond or coconut milk). I'm in long-term recovery, but my liver still gets sluggish. My ayurvedic doctor pushes turmeric and ginger and I find it helps.

I sent a message to Rodale after reading the liver detox list you linked. In the visual list, they inserted a link to 50 Foods You Should Never Eat. One of those was sprouts. Back to the original liver detox list and one of the foods that list recommended was sprouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Jane View Post
    Excellent suggestions. I also recommend golden milk (turmeric, black pepper, ginger, cinnamon, honey and almond or coconut milk). I'm in long-term recovery, but my liver still gets sluggish. My ayurvedic doctor pushes turmeric and ginger and I find it helps.
    I've heard of golden milk, I think anything with turmeric and pepper in it is beneficial, ginger and cinnamon are healthy too. Glad you're getting your liver back on track....kudos.

I am going to have baked fish and brussel sprouts this weekend. Haven't had fish in a long time but it's real good for the liver.

My husband almost died from cirrhosis of the liver.
    He already drank a lot, and then started drinking even more to kill the pain, plus taking acetaminophen as well. His whole stomach was swollen so large and hard, it was scary; but I could not get him to go to the doctor and there was not a VA clinic close that we could drive to.
    When my daughter saw how bad he was, she moved us into her rental house (which was empty at that time) , and we were able to get him to the VA clinic from there.
    The doctors took one look, and said that they thought he had gotten there too late, but that he needed to stop drinking completely, and not take ANY kind of medicine for pain.
    They also put him on diuretics to help with the swelling. They said that it would never go away; but could be managed once it was under control.

After he stopped drinking, and started the Lasix, he lost a lot of the water weight and swelling, and then he became interested in living a healthy life to try and recover.
    He started eating better, and also taking supplements like the milk thistle, and other natural supplements that are beneficial to the liver, and also later started an exercise regimen, slowly at first.

Now, almost 3 years later, he has no issues with his liver at all, the cirrhosis is completely gone, and he works out and lifts weights almost every day; so it can be done, Ruthanne.
    The doctors were amazed at his recovery, but very happy that it happened.
    Dr. Mercola has a lot of excellent articles, plus youtube is also a good place to look for videos on natural healing for the liver.
    I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars....... Og Mandino

Quote Originally Posted by Happyflowerlady View Post
    He already drank a lot, and then started drinking even more to kill the pain, plus taking acetaminophen as well. His whole stomach was swollen so large and hard, it was scary; but I could not get him to go to the doctor and there was not a VA clinic close that we could drive to.
    When my daughter saw how bad he was, she moved us into her rental house (which was empty at that time) , and we were able to get him to the VA clinic from there.
    The doctors took one look, and said that they thought he had gotten there too late, but that he needed to stop drinking completely, and not take ANY kind of medicine for pain.
    They also put him on diuretics to help with the swelling. They said that it would never go away; but could be managed once it was under control.

After he stopped drinking, and started the Lasix, he lost a lot of the water weight and swelling, and then he became interested in living a healthy life to try and recover.
    He started eating better, and also taking supplements like the milk thistle, and other natural supplements that are beneficial to the liver, and also later started an exercise regimen, slowly at first.

Now, almost 3 years later, he has no issues with his liver at all, the cirrhosis is completely gone, and he works out and lifts weights almost every day; so it can be done, Ruthanne.
    Dr. Mercola has a lot of excellent articles, plus youtube is also a good place to look for videos on natural healing for the liver.
    That is a wonderful success story, a life saving turnaround! So glad you're husband chose to live!

Quote Originally Posted by Happyflowerlady View Post

Pardon me but true Cirrhosis of the liver does not go away, sorry to say. At least that is my understanding.
    https://www.reference.com/health/cur...qo=cdpArticles

I think that this is probably true that it will not just go away on its own, and we did not expect it to go away when my husband was diagnosed with it, and neither did the doctors at the VA hospital; but they hoped that they could keep him alive for at least a while longer, and that is what we hoped for, too.
    However, I believe that our body has a wonderful power to heal itself, especially if we stop doing what was causing the problem, and start doing things that will help it to heal.
    The doctors certainly didn’t tell my husband that he would get better if he took milk thistle, turmeric, and other liver supplements, and I can’t say whether yours would go away, either; but it can never hurt to at least try.
    He was diagnosed with terminal cirrhosis, and those VA doctors usually know what they are doing; so there is not doubt that he actually had that .
    I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars....... Og Mandino

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.