Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Keep receiving calls from collection agency

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    Im amazed that the sent it to a collection agency. Why didn't they phone instead?

I dont answer calls I don't recognize.
    You have admitted that you have nothing to lose. You don't own a home; you don't even own a washer and dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Horn View Post
    You have admitted that you have nothing to lose. You don't own a home; you don't even own a washer and dryer.
    Nevertheless I was scammed out of 1200 dollars taken out of my bank account. Not through a phone call. I got it back. Unlike you I'm not naive and I don't trust everybody . Seniors are being scammed every day. They pick up the phone and give out all kinds of information because they believe it is the government calling. You can do whatever you like. It's an international problem.

They're not going to shoot a poisoned needle through the phone line. Common sense dictates that we answer every call. If the call isn't important, it's easy enough to terminate it. Reading this thread, I get the impression that there are too many deadbeats and fugitives in the forum.
    Sir, that is only a fugitive wannabe and a deadbeat in name only.

They're not going to shoot a poisoned needle through the phone line. Common sense dictates that we answer every call. If the call isn't important, it's easy enough to terminate it. Reading this thread, I get the impression that there are too many deadbeats and fugitives in the forum.
    I disagree and if that makes me a deadbeat or a fugitive then so be it.

I maintain a telephone for my convenience and only answer it when it's convenient for me. I agree with others that if it is important to the caller they will leave a message so that I can decide if and when I will call them back.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

I maintain a telephone for my convenience and only answer it when it's convenient for me. I agree with others that if it is important to the caller they will leave a message so that I can decide if and when I will call them back.
    There are many things that I don't like, but they are necessary. I don't like to pay income tax. I don't like to deal with the tax assessor. I don't like to go through the nuisance of vehicle maintenance. I didn't enjoy my last colonoscopy. I don't like it when my porch is icy. I don't enjoy sitting stopped for up to twenty minutes each way when I drive to town because of a major road project. I don't like it when the store is out of my favorite brand of butter. I really hate it when I feed my cat and after eating just a little bit, he meows for more. I don't like not being a billionaire. I could mention a hundred more.

However, I must deal with all of these problems. So must you and everyone else except billionaires, although I have sometimes seen one lady billionaire in Walmart.
    Last edited by Big Horn; 11-15-2017 at 10:19 AM.

There are many things that I don't like, but they are necessary. I don't like to pay income tax. I don't like to deal with the tax assessor. I don't like to go through the nuisance of vehicle maintenance. I didn't enjoy my last colonoscopy. I don't like it when my porch is icy. I don't enjoy sitting stopped for up to twenty minutes each when I drive to town because of a major road project. I don't like it when the store is out of my favorite brand of butter. I really hate it when I feed my cat and after eating just a little bit, he meows for more. I don't like not being a billionaire. I could mention a hundred more.

However, I must deal with all of these problems. So must you and everyone else except billionaires, although I have sometimes seen one lady billionaire in Walmart.
    I'm not a billionaire but I refuse to let my telephone run my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

Just because someone can dial 7 or 11 numbers doesn't mean I am required to talk to him or her. I bought and paid for my telephone as a convenience to me, not anyone I don't want to talk to.

I don't have a Pavlovian response to a ringing phone, must answer, must answer, pant pant.

I'm in business and I know a lot of people screen their calls. If I don't get an answer I always leave a message so they know I'm not a telemarketer.
    I think most businesses do the same thing which is why I'm still a bit skeptical of the whole thing. Wrong addresses, etc
    You've all heard of the scam where all they need is a "yes" from you to a simple question.
    My house phone is mainly for screening calls and as a backup to my cell.

Quote Originally Posted by hearlady View Post
    I'm in business and I know a lot of people screen their calls. If I don't get an answer I always leave a message so they know I'm not a telemarketer.
    I think most businesses do the same thing which is why I'm still a bit skeptical of the whole thing. Wrong addresses, etc
    You've all heard of the scam where all they need is a "yes" from you to a simple question.
    My house phone is mainly for screening calls and as a backup to my cell.
    I always assume that when a caller asks me to confirm information or correct information that they are just phishing to get my information. If it is a business that I have a relationship with I hang up and call back at a number I know is legitimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Jane View Post
    Just because someone can dial 7 or 11 numbers doesn't mean I am required to talk to him or her. I bought and paid for my telephone as a convenience to me, not anyone I don't want to talk to.

I don't have a Pavlovian response to a ringing phone, must answer, must answer, pant pant.
    I agree. I answer my phone only when I want to. There are a few numbers I always pick up on -- my sister, my next door neighbor, etc. Otherwise, I do not pick up on numbers I do not recognize, or of people I don't want to talk to, or when I am in the middle of something.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.