Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Keep receiving calls from collection agency

Quote Originally Posted by Big Horn View Post
    They're not going to shoot a poisoned needle through the phone line. Common sense dictates that we answer every call. If the call isn't important, it's easy enough to terminate it. Reading this thread, I get the impression that there are too many deadbeats and fugitives in the forum.
    It's funny. I was getting plenty of calls. When I looked them up, they could have been coming from any type of caller.

Now so far this month not one call.

I don't believe in answering calls I don't recognize because when you do, they know they have a live number.

And every phone number could be from the same caller, just using a different number.

Right now we have a warning from our income tax department about calls claiming you owe money and must pay.

People are getting scammed this way. Don't answer.

Going further, the local phone number - the landline - was assigned to us by the ISP (Spectrum) and had previously been that of a local private Garbage Hauler (it's still painted on at least some if their trucks!). So my guess is that the collection firm is just going by a listing that is twice out of date.

Problem is, if it is an important call and they keep calling back, with nobody answering and it's concerning an unpaid bill, the person could get a letter from an attorney. Some folks just don't have the money to pay an unpaid bill, so they ignore calls. Then again, the call could definitely be a scam, but I'm pretty smart on scam calls and scam e-mails.

We get e-mails sometimes concerning an online credit card acct. we have. "Your account has been locked and can only be unlocked by going here". I delete the e-mail, go online to our actual account and find out that I can totally get into the account. Apparently someone was trying to access the account thru an e-mail. Didn't work!

But, have to be careful with phone calls. We especially don't answer the calls that say UNKNOWN as the caller.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    Problem is, if it is an important call and they keep calling back, with nobody answering and it's concerning an unpaid bill, the person could get a letter from an attorney. Some folks just don't have the money to pay an unpaid bill, so they ignore calls. Then again, the call could definitely be a scam, but I'm pretty smart on scam calls and scam e-mails.

We get e-mails sometimes concerning an online credit card acct. we have. "Your account has been locked and can only be unlocked by going here". I delete the e-mail, go online to our actual account and find out that I can totally get into the account. Apparently someone was trying to access the account thru an e-mail. Didn't work!

But, have to be careful with phone calls. We especially don't answer the calls that say UNKNOWN as the caller.
    Yes, I have seen "Unknown" caller. Have also seen semi-scam (if such a thing) come thru on a local area code!
    And I asked one "How come if they are a legitimate caller the Phone ID doesn't show?" Never did get a clear answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktin View Post
    Yes, I have seen "Unknown" caller. Have also seen semi-scam (if such a thing) come thru on a local area code!
    And I asked one "How come if they are a legitimate caller the Phone ID doesn't show?" Never did get a clear answer.
    If on your contacts list it will show, legitimate calls will most likely leave a voicemail..

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post

I don't believe in answering calls I don't recognize because when you do, they know they have a live number.

And every phone number could be from the same caller, just using a different number.

Right now we have a warning from our income tax department about calls claiming you owe money and must pay.

People are getting scammed this way. Don't answer.
    That is exactly right. Don’t answer your phone and it won’t get passed on or sold as a ‘Live number.’
    I never get any calls I don’t want because I don’t give out my number and if I do get the odd call that I don’t recognize I don’t answer. No more scams. No more unwanted phone calls.
    Our landline was notoriously herendous for scam phone calls and it drove me nuts . We got ride if it about 6 or 7 years ago and everything has changed since then. Thank goodness. I don’t have much patience for @$$holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Keesha View Post
    That is exactly right. Don’t answer your phone and it won’t get passed on or sold as a ‘Live number.’
    I never get any calls I don’t want because I don’t give out my number and if I do get the odd call that I don’t recognize I don’t answer. No more scams. No more unwanted phone calls.
    Our landline was notoriously herendous for scam phone calls and it drove me nuts . We got ride if it about 6 or 7 years ago and everything has changed since then. Thank goodness. I don’t have much patience for @$$holes.
    I have installed on my cell phone, the 'do not disturb' feature.

Anyone not on the contact list can get through. Now you can set the times and the days for this feature to be active.

Of course a legitimate number can't get through, that's why you can set a time. For instance a cut off at 5 p.m.

Any calls after that time can come through.

I had my bank account compromised to the tune of $1200 with withdrawals from my account from Las Vegas where I haven't been for 20 years. I got the funds back but I have removed anything to do with banking on my computer.

I belong to a credit union nearby and I just walk over there and hand them a list of bills to pay once a month.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.