Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Keep receiving calls from collection agency

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    1,843

    Keep receiving calls from collection agency


    I have received several call the last few days from a number I didn't recognize. If I don't know the number, I don't answer. I did an online search and could only find one vague reference to it as being a collection agency for a health provider I patronized back in September. I am not aware that I owe them anything. I would assume I would have received a bill in the mail if there was a co-pay. Do you think this call is a scammer? Should I answer the next time?
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Nor Cal, USA, south of Mt Shasta, west of Mt Lassen
    Posts
    1,076
    Sounds fishy to me. We've received a couple of scam calls in the past couple of weeks. We never answer them, as it only gives them incentive to continue calling. I suppose you could call the health provider directly if you have any doubt. My advice is to ignore the call.
    Granny B. & Mr. B.'s website (check out our Match Game and Cool Links): www.breaktimehq.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,168
    I am with granny. Call the health provider directly, and check with them. Seems if it was a legit collection agency, they would have left a message.
    I am trying to find myself. Have you seen me anywhere?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Houston, Tx.
    Posts
    1,080
    The best thing to do is to look at the explanation of benefits from your health insurance carrier as it will show your responsibility. If it shows you owe something then call them and see why they have turned you over for collection. Evidently you did not pay your part of the bill. When I worked collections I did not turn patients over until I spoke with the patient and could not get payment from them.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Calif.
    Posts
    76
    Check your credit report.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by debodun View Post
    I have received several call the last few days from a number I didn't recognize. If I don't know the number, I don't answer. I did an online search and could only find one vague reference to it as being a collection agency for a health provider I patronized back in September. I am not aware that I owe them anything. I would assume I would have received a bill in the mail if there was a co-pay. Do you think this call is a scammer? Should I answer the next time?
    Block the call. Don't answer. If you owe anything they will send you a bill in the mail.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Cody, Wyoming
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by debodun View Post
    I have received several call the last few days from a number I didn't recognize. If I don't know the number, I don't answer. I did an online search and could only find one vague reference to it as being a collection agency for a health provider I patronized back in September. I am not aware that I owe them anything. I would assume I would have received a bill in the mail if there was a co-pay. Do you think this call is a scammer? Should I answer the next time?
    Yes, you should answer. Find out what's going on. Don't give any personal information, however.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    N Carolina
    Posts
    258
    I disagree Big Horn. If it's legit they'll leave a message and or send a letter. Scammers are getting more clever everyday.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    N Carolina
    Posts
    258
    Oops
    Last edited by hearlady; 11-14-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Double post

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Cody, Wyoming
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by hearlady View Post
    I disagree Big Horn. If it's legit they'll leave a message and or send a letter. Scammers are getting more clever everyday.
    They're not going to shoot a poisoned needle through the phone line. Common sense dictates that we answer every call. If the call isn't important, it's easy enough to terminate it. Reading this thread, I get the impression that there are too many deadbeats and fugitives in the forum.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    1,843
    I called the medical provider and they said I had an outstanding balance of $58 and they had mailed me a bill 6 weeks ago. I never received it, so I asked them to what address they had for me. Well, not only was it not my MAILING address, they had the wrong home address. I told them where to send the bill and to update my info in their files. Makes me wonder who is entering the data in their system. Also, why do people assume I get mail at my physical address? Many here have a PO box address and they will not put mail in a box that has a home address on it.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,907
    Quote Originally Posted by debodun View Post
    I have received several call the last few days from a number I didn't recognize. If I don't know the number, I don't answer. I did an online search and could only find one vague reference to it as being a collection agency for a health provider I patronized back in September. I am not aware that I owe them anything. I would assume I would have received a bill in the mail if there was a co-pay. Do you think this call is a scammer? Should I answer the next time?
    If it was area code 855-xxx-xxxx ignore it!!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    1,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N Tx View Post
    If it was area code 855-xxx-xxxx ignore it!!!
    It was our local area code.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by debodun View Post
    I called the medical provider and they said I had an outstanding balance of $58 and they had mailed me a bill 6 weeks ago. I never received it, so I asked them to what address they had for me. Well, not only was it not my MAILING address, they had the wrong home address. I told them where to send the bill and to update my info in their files. Makes me wonder who is entering the data in their system. Also, why do people assume I get mail at my physical address? Many here have a PO box address and they will not put mail in a box that has a home address on it.
    Im amazed that the sent it to a collection agency. Why didn't they phone instead?

    I dont answer calls I don't recognize.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Cody, Wyoming
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by debodun View Post
    I called the medical provider and they said I had an outstanding balance of $58 and they had mailed me a bill 6 weeks ago. I never received it, so I asked them to what address they had for me. Well, not only was it not my MAILING address, they had the wrong home address. I told them where to send the bill and to update my info in their files. Makes me wonder who is entering the data in their system. Also, why do people assume I get mail at my physical address? Many here have a PO box address and they will not put mail in a box that has a home address on it.
    I call someone like you a responsible person. If you had ignored the call, it would likely have hurt your credit score. However, if you had picked up the phone, you would have avoided a great amount of anxiety and worry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. dating agency
    By Bonzo in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2016, 02:51 PM
  2. Canadian Revenue Agency...JOKE???
    By Don M. in forum Humor
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-18-2016, 09:26 AM
  3. Bad collection agency
    By DennisK in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2015, 02:10 PM
  4. Yet Another Corrupt Govt. Agency
    By Don M. in forum Current News and Hot Topics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-06-2015, 09:31 AM
  5. Gifts - getting them & receiving them
    By chic in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-23-2015, 07:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Mom Forum - Health Forum - Low Carb Forum - Pet Forums