Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Keep receiving calls from collection agency

Keep receiving calls from collection agency

I have received several call the last few days from a number I didn't recognize. If I don't know the number, I don't answer. I did an online search and could only find one vague reference to it as being a collection agency for a health provider I patronized back in September. I am not aware that I owe them anything. I would assume I would have received a bill in the mail if there was a co-pay. Do you think this call is a scammer? Should I answer the next time?
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Nor Cal, USA, south of Mt Shasta, west of Mt Lassen
    Sounds fishy to me. We've received a couple of scam calls in the past couple of weeks. We never answer them, as it only gives them incentive to continue calling. I suppose you could call the health provider directly if you have any doubt. My advice is to ignore the call.
    Granny B. & Mr. B.'s website (check out our Match Game and Cool Links): www.breaktimehq.com

I am with granny. Call the health provider directly, and check with them. Seems if it was a legit collection agency, they would have left a message.
    I am trying to find myself. Have you seen me anywhere?

The best thing to do is to look at the explanation of benefits from your health insurance carrier as it will show your responsibility. If it shows you owe something then call them and see why they have turned you over for collection. Evidently you did not pay your part of the bill. When I worked collections I did not turn patients over until I spoke with the patient and could not get payment from them.

Check your credit report.

Quote Originally Posted by debodun View Post
    I have received several call the last few days from a number I didn't recognize. If I don't know the number, I don't answer. I did an online search and could only find one vague reference to it as being a collection agency for a health provider I patronized back in September. I am not aware that I owe them anything. I would assume I would have received a bill in the mail if there was a co-pay. Do you think this call is a scammer? Should I answer the next time?
    Block the call. Don't answer. If you owe anything they will send you a bill in the mail.

Yes, you should answer. Find out what's going on. Don't give any personal information, however.

I disagree Big Horn. If it's legit they'll leave a message and or send a letter. Scammers are getting more clever everyday.

Oops
    Last edited by hearlady; 11-14-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Double post

Quote Originally Posted by hearlady View Post
    I disagree Big Horn. If it's legit they'll leave a message and or send a letter. Scammers are getting more clever everyday.
    They're not going to shoot a poisoned needle through the phone line. Common sense dictates that we answer every call. If the call isn't important, it's easy enough to terminate it. Reading this thread, I get the impression that there are too many deadbeats and fugitives in the forum.

I called the medical provider and they said I had an outstanding balance of $58 and they had mailed me a bill 6 weeks ago. I never received it, so I asked them to what address they had for me. Well, not only was it not my MAILING address, they had the wrong home address. I told them where to send the bill and to update my info in their files. Makes me wonder who is entering the data in their system. Also, why do people assume I get mail at my physical address? Many here have a PO box address and they will not put mail in a box that has a home address on it.

If it was area code 855-xxx-xxxx ignore it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken N Tx View Post
    If it was area code 855-xxx-xxxx ignore it!!!
    It was our local area code.

I called the medical provider and they said I had an outstanding balance of $58 and they had mailed me a bill 6 weeks ago. I never received it, so I asked them to what address they had for me. Well, not only was it not my MAILING address, they had the wrong home address. I told them where to send the bill and to update my info in their files. Makes me wonder who is entering the data in their system. Also, why do people assume I get mail at my physical address? Many here have a PO box address and they will not put mail in a box that has a home address on it.
    Im amazed that the sent it to a collection agency. Why didn't they phone instead?

I dont answer calls I don't recognize.

I call someone like you a responsible person. If you had ignored the call, it would likely have hurt your credit score. However, if you had picked up the phone, you would have avoided a great amount of anxiety and worry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.