Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Missed Medigap enrollment time

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDoug View Post
    Any pre-existing condition exclusion or waiting period that the new carrier's cold, hard heart desires, because the new plan doesn't have the same benefits as the previous one.
    I promised not to respond but I will now. You are 100% wrong. In the scenario I wrote there would be no pre-existing exclusions. Period.

Just because you've been an advocate for 40 years doesn't mean you understand how insurance really works.

So go ahead and tell everyone that a 40 year licensed professional with over 600 clients doesn't know what he's talking about.

This time I really am done with you. Keep scaring people into believing there could be a problem with pre-existing conditions when none exists.

Rick

As an aside, I recently moved to AZ. Had been on Florida Blue Plan F for 5 years, and wanted to chance to AZ Blue Plan F to avoid the "out of state" surcharge (about $35/month). I had to answer a number of health questions in order to qualify for the AZ policy.

YMMV
    Hoot

I, also, said I was finished, but. . .

So go ahead and tell everyone that a 40 year licensed professional with over 600 clients doesn't know what he's talking about.
    OK, I will. "Folks, in this instance, Rick doesn't know what he's talking about."

You don't have to believe me, you just have to read and understand the relevant regulations. To support my argument, I have, repeatedly, posted here, with links and emphasis, the explanations provided by CMS, the "Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services," the part of the Department of Health and Human Services ("HHS") that runs Medicare and writes the rules that govern Medigap policies. Rick has not cited a single source, authoritative or otherwise, to support his assertions. He has merely claimed that his experience selling insurance policies makes him so expert that we should believe him.

Forty years of selling cars wouldn't make the salesperson an expert on auto engineering or traffic law and this situation is analogous.

As an aside, about three years ago, I studied for, took and passed the California exam required for "Accident and Health" agents. The prelicensing requirements are 20 hours of "General Insurance Prelicensing Education" and 12 hours of "Ethics and California Insurance Code Prelicensing Education" (periodically, a few hours of continuing education are required). The exam itself consisted of 75 questions to be answered in an hour and a half. I had no interest in selling insurance; I just wanted to get a feel for the environment as experience by people "on the other side of the fence." Virtually every word of the "education" material was geared toward teaching "producers" (that's what they call them in the industry) how to more effectively push policies without being tripped up by annoying laws and regulations.

Assuming no state law prohibited it and a carrier wanted to issue it, Rick absolutely could have sold "John" that plan G he to which he referred above. But the policy absolutely could have included exclusions and/or waiting periods, and the company could have engaged in "medical underwriting" (used John health information to decide whether or not to issue the policy and, if it did, how large a premium to charge).

Uncle Doug, you are dangerous. You know nothing about insurance yet continue to post.

Take a look at page 33 from the "2017 Choosing a Medigap Policy" published by CMS. It states "If your new Medigap policy has a benefit that isn't in your current Medigap policy, you may still ahve to wait up to 6 months before that benefit is covered, regardless of how long you've had your current Medigap policy." https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/02...igap.guide.pdf

Perhaps if you'd read more than just what you want to believe you could learn something.

And as far as your insurance "education," that's no more or less than any of us had and still have to do.

Based upon what is written by CMS (since plan g contains no additional benefits to plan f), you're answer is 100% wrong. Go get educated. I've been teaching agents about Medicare plans for over 10 years. What have you done in the real world other than not understanding what you've been reading?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSky View Post
    Uncle Doug, you are dangerous. You know nothing about insurance yet continue to post.

Take a look at page 33 from the "2017 Choosing a Medigap Policy" published by CMS. It states "If your new Medigap policy has a benefit that isn't in your current Medigap policy, you may still ahve [sic] to wait up to 6 months before that benefit is covered, regardless of how long you've had your current Medigap policy."
    Rick
    Yeah, Rick. And that's totally irrelevant to the disagreement at issue. Let's quote more of the source:

[. . .] If you’ve had your old Medigap policy for less than 6 months, the Medigap insurance company may be able to make you wait up to 6 months for coverage of a pre‑existing condition. However, if your old Medigap policy had the same benefits [THE SAME BENEFITS], and you had it for 6 months or more, the new insurance company can’t exclude your pre‑existing condition. If you’ve had your Medigap policy less than 6 months, the number of months you’ve had your current Medigap policy must be subtracted from the time you must wait before your new Medigap policy covers your pre‑existing condition. If the new Medigap policy has a benefit that isn’t in your current Medigap policy, you may still have to wait up to 6 months before that benefit will be covered, regardless of how long you’ve had your current Medigap policy.

If you’ve had your current Medigap policy longer than 6 months and want to replace it with a new one with the same benefits [THE SAME BENEFITS] and the insurance company agrees to issue the new policy, they can’t write pre‑existing conditions, waiting periods, elimination periods, or probationary periods into the replacement policy.
    Your "John's" desired plan G does not have the same benefits as plan F. I've already explained this. If a carrier decides to sell him plan G, it can use medical underwriting and can apply whatever waiting periods and exclusions it wished (and John agrees to -- buy buying the policy).

Sheesh, This is a pathetically ridiculous argument. I'm not sure I want to hang out in a forum where people like you can get away with representing themselves as experts. Because you, if you are still selling health insurance, are truly dangerous. And, if you're not still doing so, you have likely created ongoing risk for at least some of those 600 clients of yours.
    Last edited by UncleDoug; 12-07-2017 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Formatting

Good bye Uncle Doug. Come back when you learn insurance.

I proved exactly my point by showing you where CMS agrees with me but you're too proud to admit it. Go back to ill advising seniors. I'll keep actually providing help.

Rick

Why are you so rude? Rick is completely correct. I've been in this business for 28 years, so I have some experience. If you are replacing a Medicare Supplement policy with another and you disclose everything on the application there will be no preexisting condition. You are taking your information from I assume this "You may still have to wait up to 6 months before that benefit will be covered, regardless of how long you have had your current Medigap policy". Not one of the 15 companies I have a contract with have that exclusion, and all my companies are major insurance companies in this market.

You say that you have been a patient advocate for many years and it does look like you have good knowledge about Medicare. Let me ask you, do you hold an insurance license and how many companies are you contracted with? If your not licensed with these companies then you have no knowledge of the underwriting rules of the company. Every company has their own underwriting rules and any agent that represents that company better know those rules. In my 28 years of selling Medicare supplements I have never had a claim denied because of a prior condition. As an example I have companies that when you turn 65 if you are a smoker they will give you non smoker rates. I have a company that there is no underwriting and they have no preexisting clause. Insurance companies have to follow Medicare guidelines and rules but when it comes to underwriting they are allowed to set their own standards.

I think you owe Rick an apology.

Jim

More irrelevant, off-point babbling from another policy pusher.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgjim View Post

I think you owe Rick an apology.

Jim

And I think you and Rick are the insurance equivalents of used car salesmen: hustlers who know only enough to make the sale.

I'm afraid I don't think of the work you do as an honorable profession, and your smug belief in your fuzzy understanding doesn't raise you in my estimation.

Look up "Dunning-Kruger." You and Rick are textbook cases. Of course, you'll think that I am -- that's one of the signal symptoms of the syndrome.

What have we learned from this exchange? We have learned that Rick and Jim believe that, between them, they have 68 years of experience, when what they really have is one year of experience and learning, repeated 67 times.

I'm rude because (a) both of you deserve it and (b) I hope it jolts at least a few readers into paying no attention to you at all.

Clear enough?

~Doug

Let me make this clear Uncle Doug. You are wrong and I hope you don't harm those who trust you.

I would insult your intelligence but don't want to lower myself to your level.

Now go away. I really wish you'd get banned for being a jerk.

Rick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.