Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Progress on Australian Same Sex Marriage Bill

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybuddy View Post
    Well, I'm not being forced to do anything. You, Christians, dishonor my God. I just don't want you sinful Christians in my store.
    What this country stands for is freedom. And I freely don't cut no N*G**R's hair!
    God bless America.
    Well no the complainants were welcomed in the store and the offer was to be able to buy any cake in the store.
    The point was that they wanted a creation of their own that the baker did not want to make.

If you don't feel like cutting hair you shouldn't have to regardless of who wants a haircut.

And if I am hair stylist and I don't do the type of haircut you want then I shouldn't have to.

Next question. Should I be forced to ?

For instance I don't do mohawk haircuts because I think they are racist.

If I owned a business, I, who put it together through hard work & expense have the earned right on how I choose to run my business, not the customers.

I will not take on the guilt of those racist doings in the past, or are still being done. I see most as ignorant actions--whoever the person who's doing it or what their race is. BTW, P C has turned into a monster of ridiculous restrictions.

The Mohawk hair cut (on a white male, or girl), I just thought of as goofy. Nothing to do with any Native American tribe. If those Native Americans see the cut as offensive to their traditions, then I guess leave the cut to them, no one else. But would that be another of the P Cs going overboard?

If I own a business I should be able to say who I want to serve. You are there by invitation. There is an unwritten contract. We can make a deal or we can't make a deal.

No shoes, no shirt, no service. Should I be forced to serve you?

Northeast PA. Live near the NASCAR track, with deer, bears, rabbits. On an always growing lawn.
    Sunny, you are totally correct. If the baker, FOR ANY REASON, did not want to bake a cake for a customer, he could come with some lame excuse- he's over booked, etc. He does not say, "According to my religion, God denounces you as sinners. And because you are such deviants sinners, my religion prevents me from using my talents to bake you a cake". That is what you say when you want a Supreme Court case.
    The short version of this is "my religion allows me to discriminate against you"

And once again, does the proprietor have no rights?? Why do some people have rights while others do not?

And I agree, political correctness has gone way too far. My opinion, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybuddy View Post
    Sunny, you are totally correct. If the baker, FOR ANY REASON, did not want to bake a cake for a customer, he could come with some lame excuse- he's over booked, etc. He does not say, "According to my religion, God denounces you as sinners. And because you are such deviants sinners, my religion prevents me from using my talents to bake you a cake". That is what you say when you want a Supreme Court case.
    The short version of this is "my religion allows me to discriminate against you"
    Is that what he said. Or did he just say it's against my religion. Don't embellish. State the exact facts.

This issue is such a can of worms that I think the only solution is the one I originally proposed: Let the guy turn down the customers if he wishes. But let word of mouth go out about it, and he will pay the price in lost business.

Of course, this could backfire. Some people might start using his shop just because he turned down the gay couple. The end result would depend on which group is in the majority in that area.

And pitting the "religious" beliefs of one person against the civil rights of another? Sometimes hard to answer. If the "religious" person is, say, driving a public bus and refuses to allow gay people to sit together, he is clearly violating their civil rights. But what if he is, for instance, a cab or Uber driver? Who gets to make the rules?

I think the couple could have got a cake somewhere else or decorated one themselves.

There is no special exemption just because they want to complain about it.

I say let the court hash it out and make a decision. That's what they're for.

Northeast PA. Live near the NASCAR track, with deer, bears, rabbits. On an always growing lawn.
    The fact that you own a business does not entitle you to discriminate others. Tell me why, if you own a business; you can't put up a sign, which says, "We don't serve no N*g**rs. It's against my religion." Don't you own the business?

The baker won. Doesn't have to bake the cake. Artistic expression under the first https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/08/us/we...rnd/index.html

Thanks, Camper, for the resolution to this story.
    I hope that is the end of it.

As for Australia, the law permitting SSM is now operational and one of the first weddings was of Christine Forster, a Sydney City Councillor and the sister of former prime minister Tony Abbott who was a strong campaigner for the No vote.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-0...edding/9370278
    “Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.” - George Orwell

Why is that story such a big deal? They can't have kids. I hope.

Not together but between them they already have four children from previous marriages.

The wedding is a big deal because Christine Forster and her brother Tony Abbott are both high profile politicians and campaigned on opposite sides of the SSM debate. They are newsworthy in their own right and everyone was wondering whether Tony would even attend the wedding but, as you can see from the article, he was there with his wife and mother, who was also the mother of one of the brides.
    “Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.” - George Orwell

Unpleasant news. Ah well.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.