Property tax and home insurance........Ouch !!

Property tax and home insurance........Ouch !!

It seems like they both keep going up a little every year......I just wrote two checks totaling $3533.82 for 2018 property tax and home owners insurance.

At this rate pretty soon we're going to have to sell this place and move into a teepee in somebody's backyard......we're real quiet and will make good neighbors, anybody want to volunteer their backyard ?

tent.jpg

Forgive my ignorance IKE, but what is Property Tax ? I'm wondering if it's what we pay as 'Council tax'. This is based on the property value and goes to pay garbage collection, road maintenance, water and drainage etc...
    We're not here for a long time. We're here for a good time

It's kinda long Capt. but this should explain it.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/oklahom...tax-calculator

I don't pay property tax since my homestead exemption and over 65 exemption figures in. Of course this is a 2 bedroom condo and I used to pay it when I had a big house.

Ike, you might research a senior discount for property taxes, if you haven't done so already. http://www.seniorforums.com/showthre...light=property

Thanks for the heads up SB......I'll call county treasurers office tomorrow morning and see what they say.

IKE, thanks for the link. It sounds a bit like the UK. Each county here sets its own rate. It is not based on exact property value, but which range of values it fits into. These value bands range from A-J where A is the lowest. I live in a small village where my house would cost approx $200k (Band C). For my property tax, water and drainage, I pay approx $1700 at current exchange rates. Like you, we get reductions for various things like single occupancy, disability etc.
    We're not here for a long time. We're here for a good time

Quote Originally Posted by IKE View Post
    Thanks for the heads up SB......I'll call the county treasurers office tomorrow morning and see what they have to say.
    Update; I called this morning and there is a senior property tax discount available but the way it works in Oklahoma is that in order to receive the discount you must be over 65 and the total combined household gross yearly income has to be under "X" dollars.......our gross income is over "X" so we don't qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by IKE View Post
    Update; I called this morning and there is a senior property tax discount available but the way it works in Oklahoma is that in order to receive the discount you must be over 65 and the total combined household gross yearly income has to be under "X" dollars.......our gross income is over "X" so we don't qualify.
    Same for us here in Washington State. Always hear about these folks that get it, wonder how they did?

Quote Originally Posted by debbie in seattle View Post
    Same for us here in Washington State. Always hear about these folks that get it, wonder how they did?
    We be poor folk here in Arkansas. therefore, with the homestead exemption our taxes are now 300 a year, and once you're over 65, it's locked at that price. Now insurance is a whole different worm.
    the 300 is for the house and 6 acres. the other 27 acres cost 80 a year

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.