Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What does Christmas mean to you?

We had the Advent candles but I never heard of Advent chocolates.

Advent is a period of spiritual preparation in which many Christians make themselves ready for the coming, or birth of the Lord, Jesus Christ. Celebrating Advent typically involves a season of prayer, fasting, and repentance, followed by anticipation, hope, and joy.

from- https://www.thoughtco.com/meaning-of-advent-700455

Here is a typical "Advent calendar' that is entirely secular and all about consumerism

http://www.lindt.ca/en/shop/our-seas...dvent-calender
    We must always take sides.
    Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    I am not a Fundamentalist nor extremely traditional. To me, it's a day set aside to celebrate the birth of Christ and, as with most birthdays, giving gifts is fun but not necessary.
    I do the same. I celebrate both the coming and the birth of Christ. The giving of gifts is the fluff part. As for being a bit traditional, I do give gifts, have a tree and put up decorations inside and outside of our home. I wish people a Merry Christmas and we still have the traditional dinner with the entire family, just like my parents did on Christmas day.
    "Nothing good happens after 2:00 a.m."

Christmas is the one and only Biggest Bestest Worldwide Birthday Party Ever! A global celebration we all are invited to share together at the same time! It's incredible when you think about it. All together celebrating love, and joy...no matter your age, race, religion, geographic location, ethnicity, gender, or whether you've been good or bad, rich or poor...a time when everyone is invited to be kind, loving, unselfish, and tolerant of all humanity. It's about LOVE.

In addition, for myself, Christmas has a deep meaning of gratitude for my faith in God's love for us all and to celebrate the good news message that Jesus Christ was born with a very special purpose and message of hope for everyone for eternity.

These lyrics say it all for me personally (click on the X to delete the small ad pop-up)...

"If we all hold hands we can't fight"...sam the dot man

The Earth tilts on its axis and as such there is a day in December when (in the northern hemisphere) the Sun is at its lowest point in the sky. This is the Winter Solstice and is the true reason why this time was celebrated - long before the birth of Jesus. There may be evidence for the existence of Jesus, but there is no solid evidence of when he was born. It seems likely that celebrating this event in December was simply to provide a continuation of the existing festivities at this time of year.

I am, I suppose, a Secular Humanist - a failed Presbyterian if you wish. I no longer believe in a God, and by extension, Jesus could not have been the son of a God. I still celebrate Yuletide and happily indulge in many of the age old traditions, now associated with 'Christmas' .

So, no matter what you believe, this is the time for celebrating. I will celebrate the Solstice, give thanks for the year past and look forward to the coming year.
    We're not here for a long time. We're here for a good time

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Lightning View Post
    ...This is the Winter Solstice and is the true reason why this time was celebrated - long before the birth of Jesus. There may be evidence for the existence of Jesus, but there is no solid evidence of when he was born....So, no matter what you believe, this is the time for celebrating. I will celebrate the Solstice, give thanks for the year past and look forward to the coming year.
    It's okay, Capt. Christ, and the priest's who chose that date, know that many people and things celebrate their birthday on the same day...Dec. 25th. Many share Jan. 25th, or any other day of the year. The date doesn't matter. It's true that Christ wasn't born on that exact date but it doesn't matter as long as he has a birthday celebration. Have you ever had to plan your birthday party on a different day because the actual birth date wasn't working for everybody? Or it was stormy and you were having a pool party?

Some people don't know the day they were even born but that doesn't mean they can't celebrate their birthday on the the 25th or any other day of the year they choose. Christ is good about sharing the day

Some people say Christ's birthday celebration was chosen by priests for Dec. 25th to replace a pagan holiday way back in history. I think it was a great idea to replace satanic rituals of darkness and death with a celebration of light and eternal life, love, peace, and joy. The Winter Solstice sounds like a good reason to celebrate if you've chosen that instead of Christ's birth. It boils down to choice. I'm okay with wishing you a Happy Winter Solstice Day. Or Happy Hanukah for those of Jewish faith. And Happy Kwanza for African Americans, etc
    "If we all hold hands we can't fight"...sam the dot man

The date of Christ's mass have moved around over time. At one time it was January 6, which is now Epithany. I think (not altogether sure) it was also celebrated at Pentecost at a different period of church history.

Lara is correct. The date of the celebration is not important. What is important is what is being celebrated.
    We must always take sides.
    Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.

Agree with Lara, the date is unimportant.
    Many Russians (Orthodox) celebrate Christmas Day on January 7 per the Julian calendar, which corresponds to December 25 in the Gregorian calendar.

January 6th (Epiphany) was when the Magi came per the Julian calendar, while the Epiphany per the Gregorian calendar is January 19th.

Decorating trees, yule logs, all of that came from pagan beginnings, but as Lara pointed out how nice we can still use them for our benefit, too.

Lara, I think that describing pre-christian celebrations as being "satanic rituals of darkness and death " is very unfair. The ancient people probably understood a lot more about astronomy and the seasons than most people today. They understood the importance of the sun, the moon and the planets, when new animals would be born, when to plant and harvest crops etc.. I expect they celebrated world and the cycle of life as they perceived it, and the winter solstice was a time of joy and expectation - a bit like the modern New Year celebrations.

Now, I must get the tree out of the loft and check that the lights are working.

For our family, Christmas is like Thanksgiving w/presents. When I was a child, we had large family gatherings here at the home where I still live. My wife and I continued that tradition until we moved into our 70's. In recent years, we continue to have large gatherings at the homes of our children. This year it'll be at my son's home in Connecticut. As our family has grown, so has the variety of folks from different religious backgrounds who have become members of the "clan" and for that reason we concentrate less on the religious aspects and more on a loving fellowship of family.

It's a wonderful day with 30 or so in attendance, which makes up the 4 generations of the family that my wife and I started back in the 50's. The true blessing that we receive from this day, is being surrounded by this sizeable group.

Illinois --- the state everyone is leaving
    I'm not religious. But Christmas means some traditions of getting together with family (both sides). One on eve, the other, next day.
    Just think.... The world was built by the lowest bidder.

The Stonehaven (Aberdeenshire) Fire Festival. This probably has its origins in the pre-Christian festivals of Sun worship. Around 40 to 50 men and women let by a Pipe band, parade through the port of Stonehaven whirling flaming balls representing the Sun.

fire.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    I am not a Fundamentalist nor extremely traditional. To me, it's a day set aside to celebrate the birth of Christ and, as with most birthdays, giving gifts is fun but not necessary.
    That it, in a nutshell.
    Call me Nat or Nathan.

Christmas to us means doing this for all who come by to enjoy! and our inside is for us to enjoy.
    https://youtu.be/DoetyxD4Mus

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ed5f3rcct...nside.mp4?dl=0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.