Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Relative brags about being "rich"

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    Let them brag. it doesn't bother me at all. Just congratulate them. That's what they look for.
    I agree.

It's basically a form of branding. I know people who brag about knowing rich people and dress like they are rich. At the sametime their family had to buy their last car because their credit was shot from a bankruptcy. They're all about image and perception. To top it off they dissed that rich guy behind his back for not "helping" them out with THEIR bills/money issues before they declared bankruptcy. He's still working him for money desperately trying to get him to go in 'a' business idea deal which seems to change by the month. Talk about the long con. Branding is everything with this person. They want to be associated with only 'the best'. What's the expression-rich man's taste on a poor man's salary?

Quote Originally Posted by WhatInThe View Post
    It's basically a form of branding. I know people who brag about knowing rich people and dress like they are rich. At the sametime their family had to buy their last car because their credit was shot from a bankruptcy. They're all about image and perception. To top it off they dissed that rich guy behind his back for not "helping" them out with THEIR bills/money issues before they declared bankruptcy. He's still working him for money desperately trying to get him to go in 'a' business idea deal which seems to change by the month. Talk about the long con. Branding is everything with this person. They want to be associated with only 'the best'. What's the expression-rich man's taste on a poor man's salary?
    Champagne taste on a beer budget?
    Love is a verb.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalimar View Post
    Champagne taste on a beer budget?
    That's what I was looking for. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatInThe View Post
    That's what I was looking for. Thanks.
    My pleasure.
    Love is a verb.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    How true CindyLouWho. I know a couple of them....'always showing off ...and even SHOWING US their "stuff". Very insecure folks.
    I don't do that anymore since you shamed me for it, Falcon.

Harry

Last year we met a man who is very rich. He owns our timeshare resort and several other resort properties. To see him and talk with him, you'd never know he was so wealthy. He hobnobs with the staff and wears casual clothes most times I've seen him. This man gave a brand new car to one of the higher ranking staff members. And I'm told employees can talk with him about their concerns. People who have to brag about having a lot of money are either (yes) arrogant or insecure. I can understand you being turned off by it. Maybe some people did try to hit him up for money once they realized he was well off (which would be his fault for bragging). That can be a turn off too. Sometimes the worst ones are family members. I'm not condoning his behavior but that could have triggered the conversation he had with you...thinking he was heading it off at the pass. Too bad. I had a good relationship with one of my first cousins and he broke trust in a different, even more disrespectful way when my husband and I took a trip with him and another cousin for a cousin's funeral. I can never feel the same about him again. It took me a couple of years to forgive but I'll never forget. He did some slimy things to a couple of other relatives while we were down south. In the long run, he made himself look bad in their eyes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.