Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

What Supplements, Herbs or Vitamins Do You Take On A Daily Basis?

An over 50 women's multi-vitamin.
    Sometimes a 500mg vitamin C and a biotin.

I also take a Men's over 50 multivitamin.
    A Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, Vitamin D, pill.
    Cherry Tart Extract capsules. Two a day morning/night.

SeaBreeze, my list is very similar to yours, a few differences. I take probiotics everday, in addition I take resveratrol and instead of lutein I now take astaxanthin. Here I thought I was the only person that took this much stuff. I have been taking vitamins / herbs / minerals for about 40 years. It has appeared to be quite beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Getyoung View Post
    SeaBreeze, my list is very similar to yours, a few differences. I take probiotics everday, in addition I take resveratrol and instead of lutein I now take astaxanthin. Here I thought I was the only person that took this much stuff. I have been taking vitamins / herbs / minerals for about 40 years. It has appeared to be quite beneficial.
    The Lutein I take, Natural Factors 20mg has 3.5mg of Zeaxanthin per softgel, I think that's very similar to Astaxanthin. I do switch some supplements out every now and then, nothing is set in stone, but I've been supplementing for decades and it does seem to help with health.

I admit I'm far from a healthy eater but I am aware of what I eat and try to control portions of certain 'treats'. Decent vitamins aren't cheap, but I figure it's cheaper than paying for doctor's visits and prescription drugs. There may come a time where I need medical attention and pharmaceuticals, but I'm trying to avoid it, or at least not to rush it. Many in my immediate family had type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. in their older years....trying to break that trend.

Hey SeaBreeze & Getyoung.....did either of you consult an 'alternative-treatment' type "doc" before doing this ? I am thinking about dropping my "meds" and going natural myself. Also considering hormone therapy. I take some of the supplements you all mentioned now, just considering a complete change.

Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    Hey SeaBreeze & Getyoung.....did either of you consult an 'alternative-treatment' type "doc" before doing this ? I am thinking about dropping my "meds" and going natural myself. Also considering hormone therapy. I take some of the supplements you all mentioned now, just considering a complete change.
    I didn't consult an alternative doctor at all, I had no health conditions, so I just started taking supplements as a preventative or support for my body in areas where I didn't eat healthy enough, etc. Even with a good diet, simple things like vegetables don't have the nutrients that they provided years ago, because the soils are depleted.

I don't go to regular doctors that much either, just researched things on my own and listened to some alternative medicine shows over the years, and take what I feel is beneficial...I sometimes remove or add different vitamins and supplements.

When I went through Menopause with hot flashes, I took Red Clover Blossom and avoided taking any hormone therapy which I heard was not very safe, just like some pharmaceuticals.

I can't stress enough though, that if you are under doctor's care or on prescription meds, you must not just drop or lower them without the approval of your physician. If you can afford to see a natural doctor and consult with them, they will advise what is safe as far as dropping your meds also, but it's not wise to made any drastic changes on your own regarding prescription drugs or medical conditions.

I'm glad you're considering going natural, if it's done with some supervision, I'm sure you'll feel better.....good luck.

Thanks SeaBreeze.....I have informed my doc of my decision / plan. But , cynical as it sounds, I do believe that 'doc's practice / prescribe only what they are taught. If they have not been taught or have not studied , then they just do not know. We must remember one thing as well. The practice of medicine is also a business, and IMO maintaining the 'business' is just as important [to them] as concerning themselves with our good health.

Just the other night, local news, a local woman received a 'new' medication injection for advancing blindness. It seems to be helping, as per her testament . The injections cost $400,000 p/eye....yes four hundred thousand !! So you tell me, as an industry, just how much does the medical industry care?

My own issue, psoriasis , the biologic Humira was advised....Approx, $30,000 p/year as prescribed . Yes my insurance will cover most [perhaps] all of it, but that is ridiculous !

I firmly believe that if you eat a healthy balanced diet, you are only wasting money taking supplements.

"The practice of medicine is also a business, and IMO maintaining the 'business' is just as important [to them] as concerning themselves with our good health." Funny, that's how I would describe the supplements industry.
    We're not here for a long time. We're here for a good time

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Lightning View Post
    I firmly believe that if you eat a healthy balanced diet, you are only wasting money taking supplements.

"The practice of medicine is also a business, and IMO maintaining the 'business' is just as important [to them] as concerning themselves with our good health." Funny, that's how I would describe the supplements industry.

Not everyone draws the same nutrients from the food...or eats ALL the right things. As such supplements may help. One example is Magnesium , it is well documented that most folks do not absorb enough of the mineral in our daily diet , so a supplement may be well advised. It is also well documented that much of our soil does not yield the amounts of nutrient that it once did , due primarily the fertilizers applied for the purpose of yielding a larger crop , so again a supplement may well be something to consider. If it is just a matter of money ? Our bodies our health is ours to maintain in the way we feel is best....spend it here or spend it there...personal choice.

As for....

"Funny, that's how I would describe the supplements industry."

OK, your opposing opinion . However....I have [so far] not seen any disclaimers noted, regarding supplements , like we see regarding damn near every medicine advertised on TV , during the evening news.

I mentioned Humira earlier....the first thing they tell you to do is ...get checked for TB, as it can "trigger" it....also be aware that it can cause certain cancers....and yet it still cost $30,000 p/year...No thanks.

I can't imagine taking those many piles a day. My doctor said I only need Vitamin D.

I take the Vitamin D, plus Omega 3 and Glucosamin/Chondroitin (for osteoarthritis a day.

I get the rest of of vitamins through food.

Quote Originally Posted by IrisSenior View Post
    I can't imagine taking those many piles a day. My doctor said I only need Vitamin D.

I take the Vitamin D, plus Omega 3 and Glucosamin/Chondroitin (for osteoarthritis a day.

I get the rest of of vitamins through food.

" My doctor said I only need Vitamin D."

and yet...

"I take the Vitamin D, plus Omega 3 and Glucosamin/Chondroitin (for osteoarthritis a day. "

So apparently you see / feel a need he does not ?

Other folks feel a greater need for themselves....again it is all subjective.

I take Puritan's Pride 'One Daily Mens Multivitamin', Swanson 'Herbal Prostate Combo', and Nature's Way 'Siberian Eleuthero' capsules.

Webber's Natural Super Prostate, 1000mg Vitamin D (from October to April), 1000mg Turmeric, 34 grams of whey protein post workouts, Vitamin B Complex Vitamin, Omega 3, Baby Aspirin.

I'm supposed to be taking D, calcium, and B-12, preferably shots, but shots are too much trouble. I do the D when I think about it. Which reminds me, I need to get some calcium tablets. Once in a while pop a vitamin C if I have it on hand.

I take vitamin B, Cod liver oil and Evening Primrose oil capsules on alternative days and Spatone liquid Iron supplements once or twice a week

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.