Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

What Supplements, Herbs or Vitamins Do You Take On A Daily Basis?

I take nothing but the doctor has suggested Vitamin D

I'm surprised at so many people taking Vitamin D...

I decided that living in the Northern Hemisphere I probably need Vitamin D ( at least during the winter months)..along with the Vit C, and Zinc I take daily... so without consulting my Doctor I bought some just a week ago , only to be told by the pharmacist that unless I am African/ Caribbean/South Asian , ( which I'm not) or don't eat egg yolks or oily fish (which I do)... then I have no need for extra Vit D.. ( Cows Milk in this country is not fortified so it doesn't count even though I drink a lot of it).. so I'm confused as to whether to take the Vit D or not ..

Quote Originally Posted by hollydolly View Post
    I'm surprised at so many people taking Vitamin D...
    In my case the Dr. recommended D because of low bone density numbers, and blood levels were a little low. Supposed to help with absorbing calcium.

I've been taking 5,000 IUs of D3, since the one time I paid to have my levels tested, they were lower than I wanted them to be. Vitamin D3 is good for the bones, muscles, arteries, eyes, heart, immune system, etc. More about it HERE.

In recent years vitamin D has emerged as a star of the “vitamin” world. For example, there are currently over 800 studies showing vitamin D’s effectiveness against cancer. Optimizing your vitamin D levels can literally cut your risk of several cancers by 50 percent!

Further, middle aged and elderly people with high levels of vitamin D could reduce their chances of developing heart disease or diabetes by 43 percent.

Scientists have actually identified a total of nearly 3,000 genes that are upregulated by vitamin D. Because vitamin D is actually a “prohormone,” which your body produces from cholesterol, it influences your entire body — receptors that respond to the vitamin have been found in almost every type of human cell, from your brain to your bones.

So what modern science has now realized is that vitamin D does more than just aid in the absorption of calcium and bone formation, it is also involved in multiple repair and maintenance functions, touches thousands of different genes, regulates your immune system, and much, much more.

Just one example of an important gene that vitamin D up-regulates is your ability to fight infections, as well as chronic inflammation. It produces over 200 antimicrobial peptides, the most important of which is cathelicidin, a naturally occurring broad-spectrum antibiotic.
    This is one of the explanations for why it’s so effective against colds and influenza.

In addition, since vitamin D also modulates (balances) your immune response, it can prevent an overreaction in the form of inflammation, which can lead to a variety of autoimmune disorders, such as Crohn’s disease for example. Research has even uncovered that vitamin D may be an effective therapeutic agent to treat or prevent allergy to a common mold.

Among the many other benefits that research is revealing, low levels of vitamin D also double your risk of stroke, which is the third leading cause of death in the United States.

This adds to research that also found vitamin D deficiency is associated with arterial stiffness, a risk factor for heart disease and stroke. A separate study from Finland also found that those with the lowest vitamin D levels had a 25 percent higher risk of dying from heart disease or stroke, and when only stroke was looked at, those with the lowest levels had twice the risk as those with the highest.

So you can see that optimizing your vitamin D levels is easily one of the best ways to help prevent a myriad of diseases and conditions, ranging from heart disease, diabetes and cancer to autoimmune disorders, stroke, colds and flu.

In my experience, nothing helps with bone density better than resistance training. Exercise is the bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayZoneFitness View Post
    In my experience, nothing helps with bone density better than resistance training. Exercise is the bomb.
    This what I have heard also, about bone density.

My problem with supplements is-

None of the OTC supplements or herbs are regulated. They could put as little of anything as they want. I heard there's a huge difference in prescription grade fish oil and OTC fish oil in freshness/effectiveness. Yet, I still take a multi-vitamin every day and 400 iu of D3. 500 of C once in a while. I used to take Biotin.

I don't trust the supplement pushers in giving us adequate ingredients. It's a multi-billion dollar empire now that doesn't have to answer to anyone. As long as no one gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
    Mostly Merlot & Vodka, several times a day. Occasionally Tequila or Rum.
    Live long and be happy

Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
    i purchased some multivitamins but the dam pills are so big it would choke a horse--they get stuck in my throat so i cut them in half and the same thing happens -so i give up
    I saw pill splitters at the grocery store last week. I use my teeth-cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyNGA View Post
    In my case the Dr. recommended D because of low bone density numbers, and blood levels were a little low. Supposed to help with absorbing calcium.
    60 seconds in the sun is all the daily D you need.

I take one 65+ vitamin. I have take a daily vitamin most of my life but I have never seen a single doc stating they help. I look forward to taking a 100+ vitamin someday but I fear I will forget to take them

Quote Originally Posted by fmdog44 View Post
    60 seconds in the sun is all the daily D you need.
    Not always. It depends where you live.

Where I live the sun in winter doesn't give you the protection by converting the sunlight. Apparently the UV rays have something to do with it.

There is a study going on now where the incidence of MS is greater in Canada than other countries and it's supposed to be related to sunlight.

I take the Men over 50 vitamins because they don't have iron. Also calcium with D, magnesium, fish oil.
    That's it, no meds.

I take a multivitamin and a vitamin B complex Maxi.....But!!! My wife has asked me to ask a question. The wife suffers terribly with Hot flashes. She wanted to know if any of you ladies take any vitamins, supplement, etc for hot flashes. At this point, she has found no relief for this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by needshave View Post
    I take a multivitamin and a vitamin B complex Maxi.....But!!! My wife has asked me to ask a question. The wife suffers terribly with Hot flashes. She wanted to know if any of you ladies take any vitamins, supplement, etc for hot flashes. At this point, she has found no relief for this problem.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins.../ingredientmono-857-BLACK+COHOSH.aspx

Read up on that & make your own decision, as I am not qualified to prescribe.

I [am a man] but did go through about a year of flashes [niacin related]...and it helped me, quite-a-bit.

I used Red Clover Blossom herb throughout my menopause for hot flashes, it didn't eliminate them completely, but they were greatly diminished. If she's on any prescription meds or has any medical conditions, she should research before using for drug interactions or side effects. My mother had terrible hot flashes too, but back in the day there was no relief except flinging the window open, even in the dead of winter.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.