Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

What Supplements, Herbs or Vitamins Do You Take On A Daily Basis?

Quote Originally Posted by hearlady View Post
    I take the Men over 50 vitamins because they don't have iron. Also calcium with D, magnesium, fish oil.

That's it, no meds.
    I use an iron-free multi too, this one is for everybody, not just men. Solaray one daily is another brand that offers iron-free.

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    This what I have heard also, about bone density.

My problem with supplements is-

None of the OTC supplements or herbs are regulated. They could put as little of anything as they want. I heard there's a huge difference in prescription grade fish oil and OTC fish oil in freshness/effectiveness. Yet, I still take a multi-vitamin every day and 400 iu of D3. 500 of C once in a while. I used to take Biotin.

I don't trust the supplement pushers in giving us adequate ingredients. It's a multi-billion dollar empire now that doesn't have to answer to anyone. As long as no one gets hurt.
    Excellent post!! Thanks for being smart.

We both take a multi-vitamin, Krill Oil and few other ones. Just started taking a digestive capsule, but only during the night meal and not every night. And, we both now take Turmeric 500 capsule in the morning (wife) and morning/noon (me). The Turmeric 500 seems to go fine with using GoGreen CBD Balm and each enhances the other. Found out that Krill is much better to take then Fish Oil. Stopped taking Glucosamine Sulfate due to BG (blood glucose) rise in meter readings (we are both Diabetic II).

Can Boron being taken with Turmeric? Which is actually better? How much (mg's) of Turmeric is best to use, if using it, for Senior's in early 70's?

Thing is, how does a person really know when a supplement is working for them?

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    We both take a multi-vitamin, Krill Oil and few other ones. Just started taking a digestive capsule, but only during the night meal and not every night. And, we both now take Turmeric 500 capsule in the morning (wife) and morning/noon (me). The Turmeric 500 seems to go fine with using GoGreen CBD Balm and each enhances the other. Found out that Krill is much better to take then Fish Oil. Stopped taking Glucosamine Sulfate due to BG (blood glucose) rise in meter readings (we are both Diabetic II).

Can Boron being taken with Turmeric? Which is actually better? How much (mg's) of Turmeric is best to use, if using it, for Senior's in early 70's?

Thing is, how does a person really know when a supplement is working for them?
    CR, you really should be asking a doctor these questions. For instance, I heard too much turmeric can be harmful, but don't remember where or how much.

How do you really know when a supplement is working? Ask a doctor for a blood test, is my suggestion,

CR, I've never used Boron, but here's some more info on Turmeric, and a link in this thread about dosage, side effects, etc. http://www.seniorforums.com/showthre...light=turmeric

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    CR, you really should be asking a doctor these questions. For instance, I heard too much turmeric can be harmful, but don't remember where or how much.

How do you really know when a supplement is working? Ask a doctor for a blood test, is my suggestion,
    Thing is, seems like neither of or doctors (mine-VA and wife-regular PCP) Care about the supplements we take. We have told them and the type and IU or mg just gets entered into the computer and that’s it. Seems like it’s all left up to the person on what or what not to take.

I read online all the time “ask your doctor before using”, but who can or wants to do that? Doctor’s cost money to see, even with Medicare and a supplement insurance.

From what I have read, taking too much Turmeric is bad....to much being over 1500 mg’s daily. I take two capsules for total of 1000 mg and wife takes one capsule at 500mg.

Actually, the bottle says “one capsule per a day,” but that little sure wouldn’t help me!

There are two different mg’s of the GoGreen CBD Balm, 500 and 1000. Many say the 500 work for them, yet another member swears by the 1000. Says “it rocks”.

I think taking everything in moderation is fine, I often take more than is on the label of supplements and have not had any bad results, but I also have no medical conditions and am not on any prescription drugs. Years ago when my doctor mentioned hormone therapy if I needed help during menopause, I told him no, didn't want hormones, I was using Red Clover blossom for hot flashes.

He said it sounded fine, and along with the other supplements I told him I was taking, he just said keep doing what your doing. They are not schooled in vitamins and supplements, they find your symptom and write a prescription to relieve it, they rarely 'cure' it anyway and have to increase your prescription doses or change to another drug....all appear to have much more harmful side effects than vitamins, herbs or supplements. I cringe when I see the commercials on TV about the effects that may even lead to death and much worse than the condition itself, IMO.

Doctors and drugs are needed sometimes without a doubt, luckily we have access to both.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    There are two different mg’s of the GoGreen CBD Balm, 500 and 1000. Many say the 500 work for them, yet another member swears by the 1000. Says “it rocks”.
    Both strengths probably work very well, and we always have to keep in mind that everyone's different. Some people can take a couple of aspirin for a headache and it works fine, others get no relief. I rarely get headaches at all anymore, but sometimes when I was working I'd get one. Aspirin never did anything for me, and I didn't like the idea of taking acetaminophen or ibuprofen, so I used Niacin which knocked out my headache quickly. Side effect was some flushing and itchiness which I didn't like, but it only lasted minutes. The non-flushing Niacin did not work for headaches.

I take daily doses of naps. I suggest others do the same because you can take as many as you want all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by fmdog44 View Post
    I take daily doses of naps. I suggest others do the same because you can take as many as you want all the time.
    I love this.
    Boomer Senior

I take glucosamine/chondroitin for joint pain. Don't know for sure if it helps but if I don't take it for a few weeks, I do have more joint pain.

I need to start probiotic, been sick for four months, which probiotic should I use, what success have you had with it?

Quote Originally Posted by john19485 View Post
    I need to start probiotic, been sick for four months, which probiotic should I use, what success have you had with it?
    For the last couple years I drink one DanActive for breakfast:
    http://www.danactive.com/
    I also take a FOS caplet once a day to feed the critters:
    https://tinyurl.com/y7fsuovs
    and once a week I take :
    Swanson Soil-Based Organisms:
    https://tinyurl.com/yc6dvwod

My most important supplements I take daily:

Grape Seed Extract
    Magnesium
    D3 and K2
    Milk Thistle
    Probiotics
    Digestive Enzymes
    Lutein/Bilberry
    Iodine

For Joint Health/Maintenance:

Cosamin DS
    Omega 3's (4-5g)
    Turmeric Curcumin

I take some others for lowering Homocysteine:

Nattokinase
    Methyl Folate
    Methyl B12
    TMG

There are some others that I don't take daily like:

DHEA

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.