Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Collectors or hoarders?

I have books copyrighted 1700- 1800, 1899-1970 ,news papers, Mags 1899-1970 , confederate and union money, and railroad stock, 1933 ships books, shows the names of people on board, have a lot on my wall, my wife calls my room the museum

I have books copyrighted 1700- 1800, 1899-1970 ,news papers, Mags 1899-1970 , confederate and union money, and railroad stock, 1933 ships books, shows the names of people on board, have a lot on my wall, my wife calls my room the museum radio's 1940 and one 1938

Quote Originally Posted by Senex View Post
    In my opinion, the difference between a collector and hoarder is in actual usage. A stamp collector has everything neat and organized, knows every stamp he has, and goes to length to preserve each stamp. A stamp hoarder has loose stamps in sacks laying about everywhere, has no idea what he has, or where it is, makes no effort to archive and keep them safe....basically its a buy it, forget it, buy more, and forget them situation.
    There always seems to be some overlap. A coin collector, for example, has his prizes neatly arranged—at least from his standpoint. However, there are usually some buckets as well. The buckets contain coins of value, but not terribly attractive or desirable items.

I love guns which are both rare and beautiful. I realize though that not everything I own can be a gem so I also own guns that I bought simply because of what I considered too low a price to pass up.

The same criteria hold for toy soldiers, toy trains, pocket watches, and, it seems, virtually everything else.

Rather than use the pejorative term hoarding, I's say that some of what we have is purely investment material while some are both to be treated as both investments and aesthetically pleasing.

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    Then why collect at all?
    Uh....because he likes his collectibles and would like to keep them for himself and enjoy them?

I think you're confusing collecting with "dealing". Yes, some collectors are also dealers, but many collectors just collect.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

Moved two years ago and got rid of a LOT of "stuff". Tools, nuts& bolts, screws, and other "supplies" I will keep. Always fixing something.

Had a buddy who would call every 6 months to see if I wanted anything. His wife had a RULE: "If it hasn't been used in that last 6 months get rid of it!"

I like that "Rule" and have been trying to adhere to it. Except for my tools! Some were Dad's, some were Grand-Dad's, some were Great Grand Dad's; most are too old to be used -- I do have duplicates; i.e., a dozen 1/2 inch sockets. Kid next door just turned 16, getting his license, and someone gave him a car! So, I have been out-fitting him with some basic tools and teaching him "How To" do rudimentary work on that car.

Reference books and collectables only. (Donated all others to our local library.)
    Different types of woods because I’m a woodworker.
    Different types of stones, beads , wires etc., for when I am into making jewelry.
    Different types of fabrics for when I am into sewing?

Notice any pattern here? I’ve got to make an effort to get rid of some of this stuff because it’s starting to take up space.

To answer the question: I don’t know. Perhaps if you are still as passionate about your collection and it’s not harming anyone or interfering in a negative way, then it’s a healthy collectable.

If , however, it’s not getting the same enjoyment it once had or causing issues, collecting dust etc., then maybe it’s considered hoarding. I don’t have an answer for that.
    Last edited by Keesha; 04-15-2018 at 03:25 PM. Reason: To answer !

As the old saying goes... . one man's junk is another man's treasure.

I only hoard "treasure"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.