Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Anyone Retire In A "Snowbelt" Area?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    We had a couple of trees come down,, one hitting the house, tearing off a section of gutter but can't tell if it damaged the roof overhang. It's still leaning against the house. A lot of the rural areas around us are without power but as of now (3 PM)) we're still OK, and the wind gusts have diminished.
    We lost power for about two hours. Thought it would be much longer, we got lucky. By the time I was done getting things set up for a night without power, it came back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantsfan1954 View Post
    Upstate NYer here,south of Utica.
    I can't stand heat,humidity and pollen so have never considered Florida,I was there in 72,wasn't impressed...Life was simpler in some ways when hubby was alive but have since relocated to an apartment,so maintenance and snow and lawn issues aren't an issue.
    Grandson is 10 minutes away,grandaughters are a couple of hours South,makes a difference.
    My wife and I met in Utica a couple times on the weekend when we were first dating. She was coming south from Ontario and I was headed north from Mass, Utica was the midway point for both of us. We usually stayed at one of the hotels on Rte 5.

hi five James ! I live in a "snow belly" area not even a "snow belt" area we have 2 seasons : winter & construction ! I do not like winter at all ! Plan to get away in the winter months .

Quote Originally Posted by Shalimar View Post
    Not southern Vancouver Island. Warmest place in Canada. Maritime temperate climate. Snow is rare and minimal.
    Lucky you , would love to visit the island next time, I really like Vancouver, very nice city, housing a little pricy though . Is the Vancouver island better ?

Retired in Iowa, where born, raised and worked most of my life. Grandchildren involved in a lot of things and can't imagine not being around. Live within 45 minutes of all of them Sometimes watch them overnight. That being said, we do spend the month of February down south and most of the summer in northern Wisconsin. I think I ran the snowblower once all winter, used the shovel for a couple of light snows. We had a lot of snow in early February but all gone by time we got back. Started ice fishing after I retired, so now look forward to that every year. I should exercise more in the winter but heck I don't do enough in the summer. Climate was not really a consideration when we retired. We spent a few weeks every year traveling around the USA. Now if we didn't have any family ties to to the area, would be tempted to some of the areas we saw.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyLuk View Post
    Lucky you , would love to visit the island next time, I really like Vancouver, very nice city, housing a little pricy though . Is the Vancouver island better ?
    Thanks! Yes, housing here is cheaper than Vancouver.
    Love is a verb.

I lived in the snowbelt when I lived in Ohio while I went to college. it was a long drive to and from the college, especially in the winter. I think it snowed some everyday from the end of October until almost May. Of course, I was young and really didn't mind the snow. Today, however, I can do without it. I read in a retirement magazine that living in Florida adds 5-8 years to a person's life because of the sun. I guess the exception to that would be if you got skin cancer and then it may cut your life shorter.
    "SEMPER FI"

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post
    I lived in the snowbelt when I lived in Ohio while I went to college. it was a long drive to and from the college, especially in the winter. I think it snowed some everyday from the end of October until almost May. Of course, I was young and really didn't mind the snow. Today, however, I can do without it. I read in a retirement magazine that living in Florida adds 5-8 years to a person's life because of the sun. I guess the exception to that would be if you got skin cancer and then it may cut your life shorter.
    Thing about Florida is.........it's getting way overcrowded! Some here will say that Florida is way over spoken concerning "the state to live in when retired". Don't get me wrong, there are many retired and working people in the State that absolutely love Florida. Then, there are those, like us, that don't and are making plans to move.

No, we did it differently, and retired to Las Vegas. That's a sunbelt area, and except for the too-hot summers the other 3 seasons are quite alright.

6262BA87-4F62-4BA7-8FDE-1295D40B622F.jpegYou bet. We live in a snow belt area and get lots of snow every winter. We have a 20 year old snow blower that helps keep our driveway clear. Then of course we have to make poo paths for our girls.lol. We also have a back up generator for when our electricity goes out. It happens sometimes. Once it was 3 days . We have a great wood stove too.
    Winter tires are used to help drive and of course warm clothes but I don’t mind the snow.
    Right about now you all probably want to chuck snowballs at me.

What is snow?
    If you obey all the rules, you’ll miss all the fun.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.