Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37

Lives of Commercial Fisherman have always fascinated me..

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Crescent City, CA
    Posts
    8,514

    Quote Originally Posted by Denise1952 View Post
    Here's part of Deadliest Catch: Dungeon Cove Newport Oregon. This tells more about the "bar" itself. No actual crossing, but it's interesting.

    In the ongoing footage after the initial video, there is some amazing stuff, omg, a guy goes overboard in icey waters I think I'm going to watch more of these Deadliest Catch shows. These guys are just, plain tough.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Cumbria, England.
    Posts
    2,194
    Last week I watched an excellent documentary here in the UK called 'Hull's headscarf heroes'.

    "In January 1968, several Hull trawlers set off to the icy, dangerous waters of the Arctic in their quest for the biggest catch. They headed straight into one of the worst storms in living memory. Within three weeks, three of the ships had sunk and 58 men had lost their lives. For their families back home in the Hessle Road area of Hull, the news was devastating. It was known as the Triple Trawler Tragedy. Out of this tragedy came something incredible. Hull women – wives, mums, sisters, daughters – rose up to protest against the dangerous working conditions. They wanted a safer fishing industry and they were prepared to do anything to get it. They marched, they spoke out and they went straight to the top demanding change. During their campaign they were verbally and physically attacked – one woman was even punched in the face. They made headlines around the world and managed to change British law after getting over 10,000 signatures in support and not giving up until the authorities listened to them."

    https://inews.co.uk/culture/film/hul...sherman-today/

    Someone has put the documentary on youtube, whether or not you'd be able to view it in the US I don't know but if you can it's well worth watching.


  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Crescent City, CA
    Posts
    8,514
    Thank you Pam, this sounds like an amazing documentary. I am most curious at how they plan to make things safer. I am all for that!! Denise

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,978
    We used to watch Deadliest Catch a lot. About the crab fishermen in Alaska. Of course, the movie Perfect Storm too
    Don't Stop Believing

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Crescent City, CA
    Posts
    8,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie5656 View Post
    We used to watch Deadliest Catch a lot. About the crab fishermen in Alaska. Of course, the movie Perfect Storm too
    Oh yeah, I'll never forget that movie Marie!! Have you seen The Finest Hours?? So good, and think it's on Netflix still, or maybe Hulu. It's about our Coast Guard, and the true story of Bernie Weber, a real hero.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,978
    Yes, I saw Finest Hour. It was good

    Don't Stop Believing

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Crescent City, CA
    Posts
    8,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie5656 View Post
    Yes, I saw Finest Hour. It was good

    It amazed me, of course a lot of that was Hollywood, but they didn't have as good of equipment back then as we do today. We were talking about rough "bars" and that one that was portrayed in the movie looked real nasty for a boat to cross over during a storm.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Denise1952 View Post
    Here's part of Deadliest Catch: Dungeon Cove Newport Oregon. This tells more about the "bar" itself. No actual crossing, but it's interesting.
    My son tells me Garibaldi bar, at low tide, is more treacherous

    The last ones lost there were some of his buddies, charter boat, ill advised trip
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Crescent City, CA
    Posts
    8,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary O' View Post
    My son tells me Garibaldi bar, at low tide, is more treacherous

    The last ones lost there were some of his buddies, charter boat, ill advised trip
    I don't doubt it Gary, they Oregon Coast is well loved but it can be treacherous. I grew up hearing "never turn your back on the ocean". Good advice. Not familiar with ships, fishing boats etc. but that's why I am interested now, and what they are up against.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Denise1952 View Post
    I grew up hearing "never turn your back on the ocean". Good advice.
    heh, when I arrived the fist time in Galveston, I could not believe the water temp
    waded out about an eighth mile or more
    people back on shore were yelling something
    couldn't make out what it was until the wind died a bit

    They were yelling 'SHARK!'

    I'm not a fast swimmer
    'cept that afternoon
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Crescent City, CA
    Posts
    8,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary O' View Post
    heh, when I arrived the fist time in Galveston, I could not believe the water temp
    waded out about an eighth mile or more
    people back on shore were yelling something
    couldn't make out what it was until the wind died a bit

    They were yelling 'SHARK!'

    I'm not a fast swimmer
    'cept that afternoon
    ah yes, memories of Jaws and Scenes I'll never unsee, LOL!!

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Denise1952 View Post
    ah yes, memories of Jaws and Scenes I'll never unsee, LOL!!
    Thing is, I'd considered sharks down there, but never on the Oregon coast, of which I'm told are just as prolific there as anywhere

    ...just not so may surfers, swimmers
    Too freaking cold
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Crescent City, CA
    Posts
    8,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary O' View Post
    Thing is, I'd considered sharks down there, but never on the Oregon coast, of which I'm told are just as prolific there as anywhere

    ...just not so may surfers, swimmers
    Too freaking cold
    I don't know the numbers Gary, but my sister caught one by accident when deep-sea fishing. So yes, there are sharks there. I am surprised how many people are surfing out here on the Crescent City beaches as well. I see several vehicles with Surfboards on top, then at the beaches, I usually see at least one or two, sometimes more.

    I'm reading a book right now that talks about swimming in the Great Lakes, in the dead of Winter. They talk about how healthy it is for people. Not a clue why it's healthy, but maybe someone will see the thread that knows about that. In the same book, a guy has an Ice-Sailing business. Looks just like a sailboat, but skids across the ice instead
    ice boating.jpg

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Denise1952 View Post

    I'm reading a book right now that talks about swimming in the Great Lakes, in the dead of Winter. They talk about how healthy it is for people. Not a clue why it's healthy, but maybe someone will see the thread that knows about that. In the same book, a guy has an Ice-Sailing business. Looks just like a sailboat, but skids across the ice instead
    ice boating.jpg
    Oh, hell no

    I'll take my chances with sharks

    It was 3° F here this morn

    The only liquid I put my skin to was coffee 'til the wood stove did its thing

    My son talks about 200 mi off the Oregon coast
    I get the shivers just listening

    He started fishing in Bristol Bay


    told me about a hand going overboard
    They fished him out right away
    Lived just long enough to answer a question

    No...thank....you
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Crescent City, CA
    Posts
    8,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary O' View Post
    Oh, hell no

    I'll take my chances with sharks

    It was 3° F here this morn

    The only liquid I put my skin to was coffee 'til the wood stove did its thing

    My son talks about 200 mi off the Oregon coast
    I get the shivers just listening

    He started fishing in Bristol Bay


    told me about a hand going overboard
    They fished him out right away
    Lived just long enough to answer a question

    No...thank....you
    I'd sure need a new set of clothing for 3 degree weather

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. Best Commercial...EVER!
    By Don M. in forum Military Veterans
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-06-2017, 08:32 AM
  2. The my pillow commercial on tv
    By Lon in forum Health
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-15-2017, 07:19 PM
  3. Great white shark jumps into fisherman's boat
    By Warrigal in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-29-2017, 01:24 PM
  4. Has anyone seen the commercial on TV for a Shingles med?
    By Mrs. Robinson in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-20-2014, 09:01 AM
  5. Huge foot and a half long "shrimplike thing" caught by fisherman !
    By Happyflowerlady in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-07-2014, 09:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Pet Forums - Health Forum