Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

4 Drunk Driving Arrest Driver Says Alcoholism A Disability-huh?

I knew someone, when I look back, that I think had a disability with alcohol. He couldn't go without it; couldn't stop. He would try to stop for a little while (couldn't go for long) and then go back to it. He had several extra large bottles of the hard stuff all the time in his apt. He was unable to do much of anything else but drink.

He died 2 weeks ago. He was on disability but not for alcoholism.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Jane View Post
    Come on, guys. I live in New Mexico, home of championship-level drunk drivers. They'll always figure out a way to beat the system.
    Yup, we have 10 and 11 time offenders. Really!

What does whether or not alcoholism is a disability have anything to do with driving privileges, anyway??

Blindness is a disability, but you can't get a driver's license if you are blind. Whether or not alcoholism is a disability, it is a condition that renders one unable to be trusted driving.

My sister had epilepsy though it has been many, many years since she has had a seizure. BUT, until she had gone a certain length of time without a seizure she could not get a driver's license.

Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    There are "alcohol detection" devices which can be installed in cars, which disable the ignition if the device detects alcohol. IMO, these devices should be Mandatory for anyone who is convicted of a DUI. If they have to wait several hours before they can get their car started, perhaps it will keep the roads safer if these people aren't smart enough to manage their addiction.
    I agree Don.

He can booze it up all he wants, just not drive. How do you stop these people? They can't think clearly when they're drunk, grab their keys and off they go.
    And that's why we need self driving cars................

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Jane View Post
    All of those devices I've heard about require someone to blow into a tube that detects the presence of alcohol. An alcoholic I know gets his neighbor kids to blow into the tube for him. Problem solved.
    Well only if the neighbor kids rode with him. My brother had t have one installed in his car. He not only had to breath into it before starting, but periodically during his drive it would beep and he had certain amount of time to pull over and sample. His ankle bracelet also alarmed when he arrived back home. There was also a device in the house that signaled his arrival to probation, the phone would ring and he had to sample then.

Any device can be defeated, but these are a good start.

I don't believe alcoholism is a disability or a disease. It's an addiction. A person must get themselves unaddicted. That's not an easy thing to do. Neither is surviving in prison or living with being responsible for a death. Not to mention divorce, destitution, ill health.
    I wish people would choose to fight the addiction at all cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Yup, we have 10 and 11 time offenders. Really!
    Now, see, I blame the courts in that example. There is NO reason not to either incarcerate or, at the very least, monitor those people.

Driving is becoming more of a challenge every year. I used to be that a person didn't have to worry about distracted drivers other than weekend nights...when the bars were closing and the drunks were hitting the roads. Now, drunks are far less of a hazard than the cell phone addicts which are texting and driving at all hours. It seems that I can't drive more than a few miles without seeing someone drifting around on the road.
    "Do Not regret growing older...it is a Privilege denied to many."

Quote Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
    Now, see, I blame the courts in that example. There is NO reason not to either incarcerate or, at the very least, monitor those people.
    We law abiding citizens here blame the courts as well, and, of course, our clueless legislature who seem to be completely unable to write reasonable legislation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.