Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Annual Wellness Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    My friend went to one of those and she said she found the whole thing intrusive, offensive and insulting and felt like they were trying to catch her at something or decide she wasn't bright enough or together enough to take care of herself. She came back close to tears.

I had a similar experience right after I had my hips replaced, when a bright young thing physical therapist insisted on talking over my head to my daughter-in-law (who had dropped by to visit me) about whether I knew how to take my medications correctly and whether I was having any problems, etc. I assured that PT that I was right there in the room, and was quite competent to take care of myself and to address her questions to me and not to a visitor in my home. I also told her not to come back. I am simply not going to tolerate that kind of treatment from medical professionals -- I may be older, but I will not be treated like a child just because I have grey hair.
    I've seen that. Some patients need a second person others don't but it should be obvious if a patient is doing their part of not. It's another example of cya medicine except it's in the patient's home. Also it shows how many robots are in the health care industry.

Also in the office or home many of those questions are part of another test, it's not just about the answer but how you answered, we're you cooperative or combative. Also if a patient is considered non compliant insurance companies can stop or limit treatment. And in the home I guarantee you most visiting workers are told to look at conditions which is good and bad.

From what I've seen only a handful are conscientious. Around here hospitals of reduced or eliminated alot of nursing services so there are alot of clock punchers just looking for a paycheck-some I hate to say are in no shape to be driving around, getting in and out of vehicles or deal with various road & physical conditions in home including heavier patients let alone 'nurse' a patient.

i have the same problem as butterfly--i take my daughter with me to the ent dr and the vascular dr--they talk to my daughter(who is sitting across the room) i am hard of hearing but they could stand aside of me-i am paying for this and i have to get all my information from my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
    i have the same problem as butterfly--i take my daughter with me to the ent dr and the vascular dr--they talk to my daughter(who is sitting across the room) i am hard of hearing but they could stand aside of me-i am paying for this and i have to get all my information from my daughter.

Can I be the devil's advocate ?

Problem?..at least you have a daughter that goes with you. There are those that will not be bothered. There is a whole thread on that.

And perhaps the doc , is trying to explain it to the person, younger person, with the better hearing & comprehension . And that knows best how to explain it to you? Perhaps later at home, in the less stress environment, over a nice cup'o tea/coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    Can I be the devil's advocate ?

Problem?..at least you have a daughter that goes with you. There are those that will not be bothered. There is a whole thread on that.

And perhaps the doc , is trying to explain it to the person, younger person, with the better hearing & comprehension . And that knows best how to explain it to you? Perhaps later at home, in the less stress environment, over a nice cup'o tea/coffee.
    Perhaps so, but I seriously resent the assumption that the younger person has "better hearing and comprehension" than the older person, and that the older person needs someone to interpret the doctor's instructions. Just because a person has grey hair does not mean they do not have all their marbles and/or needs to be talked down to.

Perhaps so, but I seriously resent the assumption that the younger person has "better hearing and comprehension" than the older person, and that the older person needs someone to interpret the doctor's instructions. Just because a person has grey hair does not mean they do not have all their marbles and/or needs to be talked down to.

Not my implication at all, My apologies if I have offended.

But let's be honest...quite often it is the case, and many of us live in denial of it. The doc is a professional , looking at it from the outside . And very possible he sees something you have not yet come to terms with.

If I may suggest?...explain your view to both of them, perhaps they didn't realize, and in the meantime be thankful you have a caring daughter.

Again, my apologies if I'm out of line.

Just my 2 cents worth on these "Wellness Exams"......I may have posted my experience on her in another column, and if so, I apologize for the repeat.

I was scheduled to have my exam in Feb. and when a women I did not know called me to schedule this, she said it was not at my doctor's office...it was at an Urgent Care! I thought there might be a separate entrance to this room but when I got there, I had to go through the waiting room to register. It was packed with people with the flu! To make a long story short, I left and did not get my exam. I was furious that my doctor would send me to such a place. I contacted my insurance (Humana) and asked if it was their "rule" for the exam to be done there and they said that every doctor makes his own decision where and how these are to be done. They asked me if I wanted to file a complaint and I said I did. That was the last straw with our doctor. There have been other things that have been happening and we felt a change was needed to get better medical care. These Wellness exams are a rip, in my opinion and I will not schedule any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    Just my 2 cents worth on these "Wellness Exams"......I may have posted my experience on her in another column, and if so, I apologize for the repeat. These Wellness exams are a rip, in my opinion and I will not schedule any more.
    We, too, have our Medicare Advantage with Humana, and have had good results with the exams. Medicare authorizes a number of preventative exams, and our Humana plan is even better than basic Medicare. For example, Medicare covers a cardiovascular exam every 5 years, but our plan covers it every year once you reach 70. I went in a couple of weeks ago, at our local doctors office, and had the blood work, etc., and the results all came back ok...Blood sugar, Cholesterol, Triglycerides, etc. Then, the plan covers an annual lung cancer screening every year up to age 77....I will be going for a Low Dose CT scan at the hospital cancer center in a couple of weeks, for that test. I suppose a lot of it depends on your doctor, but we haven't had any problems getting our exams.
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

Don M......I'm not saying anything negative about Humana. We've had them for a long time and they have been very good to call and ask questions, etc. No problems with coverage either.

What I'm saying is: our doctor has decided he's not doing the Wellness exams himself. He farms them out to a NP or just a nurse and sends you to an Urgent Care facility, where there's anything and everything going on with people in the waiting room. It was the height of the flu epidemic here and not one person in the waiting room was wearing a mask. I did register and waited about 10 minutes in another waiting room but then I left because I couldn't get past the unclean, germ-ridden place. I was never contacted by my doctor or anyone else as to why I didn't have this done.

Another example of why our doctor is not giving the care he should is: My husband was due for his annual exam last November so I called and made the appointment. I specifically told the receptionist that it was for his yearly Wellness exam. She scheduled him for the doctor's office. When my husband went for his appointment, the doctor asked him what he was there for and my husband told him it was for his Wellness exam. The doctor said someone screwed up and he would only give my husband a short exam. He asked him a few questions and that was that....and charged Humana $309! The doctor didn't even check my husband for his enlarged prostate.

Obviously, our doctor is not doing his job. He use to be very conscientious but the last few times we've seen him he's been very lacks.

Obviously, our doctor is not doing his job. He use to be very conscientious but the last few times we've seen him he's been very lacks.
    I think you've found the root cause for your concerns....you might be better served by looking for another doctor. Your doctor sound like he is using Medicare as his "cash cow".

The so-called "wellness visit" is NOT an annual physical. It's a whole different thing altogether.

The so-called "wellness exam" is NOT an annual physical. It's a whole different thing altogether.
    That's right...the "wellness" visit/exam is an "opportunity" for a person to visit their PCP, and discuss any issues they may be concerned about...and then schedule any tests, etc., related to their concerns. Medicare, and most health insurance plans cover a number of "screenings" at little, or no cost. The Wellness visit is the first step to getting involved with these screenings.

Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    That's right...the "wellness" visit/exam is an "opportunity" for a person to visit their PCP, and discuss any issues they may be concerned about...and then schedule any tests, etc., related to their concerns. Medicare, and most health insurance plans cover a number of "screenings" at little, or no cost. The Wellness visit is the first step to getting involved with these screenings.
    Exactly! We've both had our exams in the past and our PCP went over all medications, concerns, etc., and he did a prostate exam on my husband last year and that's when he found out it was enlarged. We're in the process of getting a new PCP and it's not easy because there just isn't quality doctor's where we live
    Last edited by Colleen; 04-14-2018 at 10:03 AM.

Exactly! We've both had our exams and our PCP went over all medications, concerns, etc., and he did a prostate exam on my husband last year and that's when he found out it was enlarged. We're in the process of getting a new PCP and it's not easy because there just isn't quality doctor's where we live
    It's important to find a PCP that is interested in the patients health...rather than just "milking" Medicare. There have been numerous reports in recent years about doctors in areas with a high concentration of retirees, such as Florida and Arizona...who just offer minimal care/concern to the patients, and rush them through so as to maximize their Medicare payments. If a person feels they aren't getting the proper care, they should search for a better doctor, and in many cases, filing a Medicare Fraud report on the Medicare web-site, might well be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    I do all that at my annual checkup.

I do all that at my annual checkup.
    If you are over 65, and on Medicare, an "annual" checkup, and an annual Medicare "wellness" visit are virtually the same.

https://www.caring.com/questions/wha...-wellness-exam

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.