Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Annual Wellness Visit

I just got a call a few weeks ago to sched this Wellness" through my MED. adv plan. So this nurse practitioner who I've never met before never knew me all before, wants to go all over my records, of which I have many for the last couple of years, tell me how I'm doing & what to do next, for about 45 min then the primary care doc will come in for about 5-10 minutes. If it's only a $5 copay I might go for the entertainment, but not if it's more. Rolling eyes here. This health plan tries something new every few yrs. a Their last thing was the "Nurse Navigator" who was supposed to guide people around the system, but turned out I knew more about programs $ services than she did.

Exactly! My appointment (which I did not keep) would have been with a total stranger. My doctor was not involved at all and he certainly wasn't at the Urgent Care where my exam was to be done! I wonder what would have been billed to my insurance and how much. I understand they can bill any amount they want and will only get paid by Medicare what's "reasonable and customary", but to bill for $309 in my husband's case, and not even get an exam, is a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    If you are over 65, and on Medicare, an "annual" checkup, and an annual Medicare "wellness" visit are virtually the same.

https://www.caring.com/questions/wha...-wellness-exam
    I beg to differ. In my experience, they are nothing at all alike. Th so-called "wellness" thing is something set up by the insurance carrier (NOT Medicare) as an excuse to send a big fat bill to Medicare for sitting there and asking a bunch of questions about your medical history, which they already have. There is no physical part of the alleged wellness exam. It is a total ripoff and a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    Exactly! My appointment (which I did not keep) would have been with a total stranger. My doctor was not involved at all and he certainly wasn't at the Urgent Care where my exam was to be done! I wonder what would have been billed to my insurance and how much. I understand they can bill any amount they want and will only get paid by Medicare what's "reasonable and customary", but to bill for $309 in my husband's case, and not even get an exam, is a disgrace.
    I agree. It's a ripoff, pure and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    Not my implication at all, My apologies if I have offended.

But let's be honest...quite often it is the case, and many of us live in denial of it. The doc is a professional , looking at it from the outside . And very possible he sees something you have not yet come to terms with.

If I may suggest?...explain your view to both of them, perhaps they didn't realize, and in the meantime be thankful you have a caring daughter.

Again, my apologies if I'm out of line.
    First off, it may be "often" the case, but more often it is not. Secondly, I am not in denial of anything. I live alone and take quite competent care of myself, so much so that the doctor let me go home on my own two days after my hip surgery, confident that I would do fine, and I did.

Secondly, the person I was speaking of was not the doctor, but a physical therapist visiting at my home. The other person involved was my daughter in law, there to visit. The therapist had no idea who she was, or whether I wanted my medical issues shared with her. The therapist just spoke to her over my head because she was a younger person. She could have been a census taker or my cleaning lady or any random person.

And yes, I shared my "view" with her, and then asked her to leave. I then called my surgeon and explained my "view" to him. He was horrified that the therapist had behaved that way and had, in fact, even breached my medical privilege by discussing my case with a, to her, random stranger. He apologized and told me he would not use that provider again.

I refuse to be treated as a mental defective or second class citizen simply because I am older. Older people are entitled to the same respect as any other patient, and should be dealt with directly just like any other patient until there is reason to believe they are not capable with dealing with their own affairs.

"I refuse to be treated as a mental defective or second class citizen simply because I am older. Older people are entitled to the same respect as any other patient, and should be dealt with directly just like any other patient until there is reason to believe they are not capable with dealing with their own affairs."........

I applaud you and agree 100%! It's our bodies and if we don't speak up for what we want or don't want done with it, then the blame is on us.

Ever since this "Wellness" exam debacle, we've been going to look for another doctor. It's not easy where we live to find a "quality" doctor so we've been dragging our feet on making a change. Well, today motivated us and tomorrow when we go into town, we're stopping in at a doctor's office to get a "feel" for the place. I've worked in many doctor's offices and hospital settings, so I'm a good judge of how things are run by looking at the front reception area. Hopefully, there will be good vibes.

What pushed us over the edge today was my Rx's. Last week I called my doctor's number but never got to talk to anyone to tell them I needed a refill on a couple Rx's. The phone just rings and then it has a message to leave a message and someone will get back to you. I gave up after a couple calls and submitted my Rx number to our pharmacy and asked them to contact the doctor. Today my husband had to go to town so he stopped at the pharmacy to pick up Rx's (he had one, too) and the pharmacist told him that the doctor's office has never gotten back with them to give me new Rx's. Our pharmacist was quite disgusted about it and said he would contact them again. When my husband paid for his RX he told the girl we were getting a different doctor, and she said, "That's probably a good idea." We don't know what's changed with our doctor, but something is going on. Time for us to move on.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.