Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What was your workout today?

Ok have to recant..just danced down to Ruby with my man in the kitchen,,,,,
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. e. e. cummings

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    Thanks James. I've been playing with the inclines and speeds too, don't want to do too much too fast, but I haven't had a problem yet. On the weight machines I've been doing 30 to 40 pounds depending on what machine. They also have like a bicycle machine, but you work your arms with it. I used it yesterday and liked it, but a guy was using it today when I was there. I've lost some upper body strength in the past five years or so, and want to gain some of it back. I'm not really muscular, but always did physical work over the years and want to maintain that strength so I can do all the things I'm used to. I'm fairly strong for a woman.
    Fitness goals change over time.

During my career the goal was to be able to endure a physical fight for 5 minutes, control my heart rate and breathing during stress events when the body is being hit with unbelievable adrenaline dumps, keep up our k9 during tracks. I wanted to do everything I could to make sure I went home at the end of my shift.

Now that I've retired I don't train that way because my goals have changed. Intense workouts are good to a point but they can also be hard on the body. I've noticed over the past few years that my endurance level has dropped and if I injure myself working out, the recovery time is longer. I want to be healthy, not hurting.

I no longer have to worry about being able to keep up with a dog, worry about controlling those adrenaline dumps or going 5 minutes straight with some 21 yr old mixed martial artist.

I do however want to collect my pension as long as possible, be able to walk up the stairs without losing my breath, keep muscle, maintain strength, control my weight (although that's mostly accomplished by what and how much you eat} and keep diseases and illnesses at bay as best as I can.

The body is amazing. You will be surprised just how quickly your strength and stamina will come back, and doing a variety of things like you are doing is imo key to increasing and maintaining your overall fitness. Good work!!

There's a little gym down the road that I've been going to since retiring. I go early in the morning, four days a week right now. I do some cardio, free weights, then some stretching. All in all, I guess it takes me about an hour n' half to get her done..

I ran up and down the basement stairs 3 times already because I couldn't remember what I went down there for the first 2 times.

Quote Originally Posted by ruth n jersey View Post
    i ran up and down the basement stairs 3 times already because i couldn't remember what i went down there for the first 2 times.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by HazyDavey View Post
    There's a little gym down the road that I've been going to since retiring. I go early in the morning, four days a week right now. I do some cardio, free weights, then some stretching. All in all, I guess it takes me about an hour n' half to get her done..
    Good for you Davey! Stretching is so good for you, especially at our age. I automatically started stretching again before and after a workout, but I should have been stretching daily at home for a long time now. Even those who have trouble doing exercise, should at least attempt stretching at home as often as they can.

I did go for my 30 to 40 minute brisk walk, timing depends on whether I get stopped to talk. I cannot do anything heavier than 3 lb weights just yet due to an accident last year but I am getting there. Sheesh, I used to do a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzkitt View Post
    I did go for my 30 to 40 minute brisk walk, timing depends on whether I get stopped to talk. I cannot do anything heavier than 3 lb weights just yet due to an accident last year but I am getting there. Sheesh, I used to do a lot more.
    GREAT! Keep at it. Even if you don't recover to where you were before you will improve from where you are now which is fantastic!!

Hi James & Everyone -

Fitness is pretty important to me. My dad is 94, and recently started losing his short term memory. I read up on it, and it turns out that one of the best things you can do to prevent short term memory loss is to exercise - especially resistance training. I try to get to the gym 5 days per week, but for no reason I can identify, I woke yesterday with an incredibly sore lower back, so nothing going on this week.

That said, my typical workouts include 30 minutes on the rowing maching (erg) which includes 12 sets of high intensity interval training (HIIT) followed by an hour of resistance training. I tend to mix it up quite a bit. Also, 6-12 mile walks on the weekends, and bicycling when the weather permits, usually 20-30 miles. I used to be able to go longer, but sadly, I just don't get on the bike enough.

Gotta say, from what I've read, exercise is critical to fully functional longevity.

My dad always says that he's reached his 94 years because of "diet and luck, exercise and luck, and a whole lotta luck." We can't do anything about our genetics, but we can certainly stack the deck in our favor with good nutrition and regular exercise.

And here's the thing: I read an NIH article recently that said that 35% of preventable deaths for people 50 and over are related to poor health and fitness. It's up to us.

Hey there HazyDavey -

Good job for getting the the gym and for what looks like a great workout! At the urging of one of the trainers at my gym, I recently started incorporating rotational exercises - wood choppers. Highly recommend them. Most of what I see at the gym is people workign out 2 dimensionally, without any twisting.

James - what in the world did you do before you retired that you had to go 5 minutes straight with a mixed martial artist? I'm impressed. I've never been in a fight in my life, except when I hit that kid in 2nd grade for cutting in line for soccer. High five for your continued working out.

I have a similar attitude. I want to be able to do whatever I want for all the days of my life, so the gym is an essential part of my life. And it is amazing how quickly we adapt. It's also sad how, as we got older, we lose it faster.

Just gotta keep on it!

I do that all the time! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by GrayZoneFitness View Post
    James - what in the world did you do before you retired that you had to go 5 minutes straight with a mixed martial artist? I'm impressed. I've never been in a fight in my life, except when I hit that kid in 2nd grade for cutting in line for soccer. High five for your continued working out.

I have a similar attitude. I want to be able to do whatever I want for all the days of my life, so the gym is an essential part of my life. And it is amazing how quickly we adapt. It's also sad how, as we got older, we lose it faster.

Just gotta keep on it!
    LOL...I Was a cop. Every 18yr old up practices this stuff like a religion.

Favorite workouts are emom. Tests the mind and body. Lots of volume in a short period of time. The mind always wants to give up before the body.

Today was;
    Emom for 30min - 12 kb swings & 4 kb snatches
    360 swings, 120 snatches

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzkitt View Post
    A brisk walk is very good for your physical and mental well-being. Sorry you suffered from an accident that limits your weights, but 3 pounds can be very effective to build strength.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.