Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

People Here Shocked About Us Moving

Someone in the Florida Relocation forum said that he moved to Tennessee and was pretty surprise at how many former Florida folks live there. He also said that all of them have nothing good to say about Florida. We don't think Florida is THAT bad, but it has taken us 10 years to figure out that it's not for us any longer. Basically the only thing that has kept us here is the lack of finances to move, but we are working hard on that so we can. We will both miss my wife's nice paying job, but.

We will have plenty of things to sell, if we can sell most of it. I told my wife, and she agreed, "I don't want to take anything to (wherever we move to) that will remind us of living in Florida.........other than photos we've taken since living here".

Quote Originally Posted by Loosey View Post
    I've moved a few times in my life and have encountered a similar reaction. I have chalked it up to folks having a vested interest in believing that where they live is the best place of all. Otherwise, why would they be there?

I really think that's all it is. Different strokes...

It never bothered me. For the record, I like both Florida and Colorado.

Fair tides to you!
    BTW, your above statement "Fair tides to you!" remind us that, as power boaters, there is no Tides in Colorado. Here, it could be an absolutely beautiful day, but if the Tide isn't right, our boat can't go out. We've got stuck a couple of times when the tide was too low.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    Someone in the Florida Relocation forum said that he moved to Tennessee and was pretty surprise at how many former Florida folks live there. He also said that all of them have nothing good to say about Florida. We don't think Florida is THAT bad, but it has taken us 10 years to figure out that it's not for us any longer. Basically the only thing that has kept us here is the lack of finances to move, but we are working hard on that so we can. We will both miss my wife's nice paying job, but.

We will have plenty of things to sell, if we can sell most of it. I told my wife, and she agreed, "I don't want to take anything to (wherever we move to) that will remind us of living in Florida.........other than photos we've taken since living here".
    My Aunt and Uncle are two that started out their retirement in Florida and now live in Tenn. When they first retired and went to Fla they were in the Daytona area. There was a run of about 5 hurricanes in their first two years where my Uncle had to board and unboard the house for every one. He said "this isn't the retirement I had in mind", lol. Within 6 months they had relocated to Tenn. and have been there for about 10 years now and they love it.

I believe the appropriate phrase is "Different strokes for different folks". In retirement nothing matters but satisfying our needs - and our wants.

Sure glad my wife agrees with me about moving and the possibility of living back in winter snow again. Why? We met a couple in Walmart today who were looking at saltwater fishing rigs. The husband was wearing an Army Ranger baseball cap and that caught my attention. I told him that we sold and gave away all of our saltwater fishing stuff and that none of it was ever used. Then his wife and my wife joined into the conversation. I told them about our possible move back to Colorado. He was wondering about the COL there, because he heard that it was high. I found out the COL is high in Denver and the metro area, but we were looking at a town 40 miles north of Denver, which wouldn't be nearly as high as Denver. His wife started talking about how cold Colorado can get, which it can, but not like Minnesota or Wisconsin or even Buffalo, NY.

So, it appears that he might not mind moving there (Colorado), but she definitely wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    Have the News App of the Colorado city (actually "town") we are in hopes (seriously thinking) about moving to and they have a Cowboy Church there. When we lived in Parker, we went to a Cowboy Church in Colorado Springs aka "the Springs". It was a real nice Service. Just another thing Jacksonville doesn't have that we like.

After I told my wife, before she went to work, that there was a Cowboy Church there, she said "What the heck are we doing living here?" Well, we "thought", but those "thoughts" didn't work out.
    What's a Cowboy Church? Is it exactly what it sounds like?

I would more interested in informing the fish in the sea than neighbors that were shocked by your move. Two places i would never live permanently are FL and Calee-for-ni-yea. But then, that is understandable because I live in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by fmdog44 View Post
    I would more interested in informing the fish in the sea than neighbors that were shocked by your move. Two places i would never live permanently are FL and Calee-for-ni-yea. But then, that is understandable because I live in Texas.
    And yer gittin' ready for Fouth of Jooolah, barbeque

Oh how I remember those
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

Thumbs up

I've been on the move all my life and feeling a bit confused by it all now!!

I guess there is the downside and the upside to it all?

We have visited Colorado and Wyoming, lived in Jacksonville for a year. They all have far too much winter for our liking. There was snow in JAX the year we lived there. Sailing in the St John's river was nice in the warmer weather.

I would not consider any place north of Tarpon Springs, FL.

I lived for about 5 years in Boca Raton, way south on the Atlantic coast of Florida. Was glad to leave Florida and we ended up in Colorado above Denver in Longmont. Many years there and when retired we moved to Cortez Colorado till doctors advise move to any where below 5,000 ft. So we then moved to southern Arizona, Pheonix or south, and really found a nice winter climate to enjoy. Summer can be a bit hard to handle for a few short weeks. You really do need A/C then. Mostly the temps in the south east, east, etc., of 85 or 90 with high humidity can be worse than south Arizona at 110 and low humidity. But then in Arizona they often toss in a record hot of 115, or 119 my highest, and A/C needed. Last couple years back in Ohio. Sure miss Arizona. Maybe next year.

I think it's normal to want go back to a state or city where you lived, especially if it holds good memories. One thing I do know about Florida; the families that have lived there for generations know what may be in store for them.

And I wouldn't care less about what someone thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedDiva View Post
    What's a Cowboy Church? Is it exactly what it sounds like?
    It sure is. The cowboys all bring their horsed to the services and someone always goes to the jukebox and plays a Tex Ritter song. This a favorite.

I prefer the next two, however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyk1BPEABsE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5an9OuXKxBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=999RqGZatPs

I've just realized when you get to wherever ya goin - you'll need to start an new thread wow!!
    whenever I look at my glass of beer it's always half full - that's a good cue to top it up and just keep goin forward as usual - hate to see it empty!

Quote Originally Posted by gumbud View Post
    I've just realized when you get to wherever ya goin - you'll need to start an new thread wow!!
    Thanks Gumbud

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.