Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Blood pressure

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Milford,OH
    Posts
    916

    Blood pressure

    Anyone else have a problem with stubborn B/P ? Mine is up again. Seeing the doc today. He has been changing my med...it goes down for awhile , then starts creeping back up ?



    And again...I keep thinking maybe a second opinion...another doc...different approach ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Canada eh
    Posts
    504
    My BP hovers in the "mid to high normal" range. My "former" doc would take a single reading during a single visit and make a diagnosis from that alone. Because of his method I was on BP meds for a few years.

    My new doc took me off them and then had me come back a few times over a couple of weeks for readings.

    Each time she would take several readings over the course of about 15 minutes. The result, no need for BP meds.

    As she said a single reading at a single visit is not a very precise measurement because so many factors impact readings including white coat syndrome (just being at the doctors...that's me!) She also told me to uncross my legs and to rest my arm on the table during the readings, ensure that I didn't have any coffee/caffeine products at least 2 hours before the reading and NO heavily salted foods the night before.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Milford,OH
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    My BP hovers in the "mid to high normal" range. My "former" doc would take a single reading during a single visit and make a diagnosis from that alone. Because of his method I was on BP meds for a few years.

    My new doc took me off them and then had me come back a few times over a couple of weeks for readings.

    Each time she would take several readings over the course of about 15 minutes. The result, no need for BP meds.

    As she said a single reading at a single visit is not a very precise measurement because so many factors impact readings including white coat syndrome (just being at the doctors...that's me!) She also told me to uncross my legs and to rest my arm on the table during the readings, ensure that I didn't have any coffee/caffeine products at least 2 hours before the reading and NO heavily salted foods the night before.


    Grasping at straws perhaps but I wonder if the Chinese food I had for supper last night is playing a part?

    I took mine this morning before anything other than a drink of water. And it was up...

    BTW I too am 'white coat'....wonder why we do that ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Canada eh
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    Grasping at straws perhaps but I wonder if the Chinese food I had for supper last night is playing a part?

    I took mine this morning before anything other than a drink of water. And it was up...

    BTW I too am 'white coat'....wonder why we do that ?
    Lots of good stuff in that Chinese Food LOL. I was at a specialist appt at a nearby hospital a couple of weeks ago. His nurse took a single reading and it was "high" and she asked me if I was on medication. This week I was in to see my own doc and she took 5 readings....no problem. The first two are always on the high side until I settle down...I guess I just hate doctors!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Canada eh
    Posts
    504
    Yeah Chinese Food can be loaded with salt.....
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/redu...food-5965.html

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Milford,OH
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Yeah Chinese Food can be loaded with salt.....
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/redu...food-5965.html

    I'll ask the doc, [if] he knows?...How long the effect of a high salt meal lasts?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Canada eh
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    I'll ask the doc, [if] he knows?...How long the effect of a high salt meal lasts?
    I guess it "depends".

    https://www.livestrong.com/article/5...lood-pressure/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Milford,OH
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Doc says yes it matters . He says Fri, is pilot day at his office. He tells all of them , no Chinese or Pizza the night before. He went on to say that the effect can last easily, 24-36 hours, of course it does vary from person to person.

    Mine was down some at the appointment, but still 'up' So once again, new med. Weight up as well..6#'s Likely a contributor...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Canada eh
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    Doc says yes it matters . He says Fri, is pilot day at his office. He tells all of them , no Chinese or Pizza the night before. He went on to say that the effect can last easily, 24-36 hours, of course it does vary from person to person.

    Mine was down some at the appointment, but still 'up' So once again, new med. Weight up as well..6#'s Likely a contributor...
    Good to know that matches my docs info.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    106
    My previous doctors all seemed to follow the same method: take a reading during a visit, if it reads high then increase the dose of my meds and wait and see if that helped, if not then increase the dosage again. Once a med reached the max safe dosage, they would prescribe another one to also take and then do the increase-the-dosage routine with that one. When I finally got to my current doctor (a keeper), I was taking high dosages of 4 different meds.

    The new doctor took a different approach. She told me to go buy a specific BP monitor - one that is just a cuff that connects with my phone. No tubes or wires and doesn't need to be plugged in. She had me take a reading at various times of the day for long enough to see the patterns. It kept a history with time and date on the phone so I could show her, or have it email the reading to her. Then she reduced the dosage on some and switched another. The bottom line is that I am down to 2 meds at lower dosages (fewer side effects). I really like this doctor.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico USA
    Posts
    8,547
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Lots of good stuff in that Chinese Food LOL. I was at a specialist appt at a nearby hospital a couple of weeks ago. His nurse took a single reading and it was "high" and she asked me if I was on medication. This week I was in to see my own doc and she took 5 readings....no problem. The first two are always on the high side until I settle down...I guess I just hate doctors!
    My blood pressure does the same thing and has for years.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    central Missouri
    Posts
    4,514
    My blood pressure stays pretty normal, but the wife has had issues for several years. She has been taking Lisinopril for the past few years to keep it under control, and we have a OMRON BP "wrist" monitor, which she uses almost daily to track her pressure. That way, she has an ongoing record of her pressure, and minor short term spikes are of little concern. If anyone has BP that changes frequently...especially if they have the "white coat" issue...it might be a good idea to get a home monitor, and use it. Such a unit would probably give a person a better picture of how they are doing, than just relying on a doctor's office reading every few weeks or months. You can get one of these at Walmart, Costco, and many other stores for about $50.
    "Do Not regret growing older...it is a Privilege denied to many."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    My blood pressure stays pretty normal, but the wife has had issues for several years. She has been taking Lisinopril for the past few years to keep it under control, and we have a OMRON BP "wrist" monitor, which she uses almost daily to track her pressure. That way, she has an ongoing record of her pressure, and minor short term spikes are of little concern. If anyone has BP that changes frequently...especially if they have the "white coat" issue...it might be a good idea to get a home monitor, and use it. Such a unit would probably give a person a better picture of how they are doing, than just relying on a doctor's office reading every few weeks or months. You can get one of these at Walmart, Costco, and many other stores for about $50.
    yep

    Omron

    google it

    easy peasy

    even keeps a history

    best little investment, ever
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,998
    Too many things can cause high bp including inactivity/lack of exercise, diet including too much salt, lack of potassium/ideal potassium to salt ratio, dehydration, some actual physical disorders and medications. And of course white coat syndrome. I don't know if there's one solution. I know people who have home care almost always get a lower reading at home than in an office.

    Believe it not if possible sometimes a short walk and/or light exercise can help lower the bp. I know people who had physical therapy in morning and doctors visit in pm less than 3 hours later and their bp was lower their body moved/processed fluids. It's temporary but it shows the importance of exercise and activity through out the day.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Canada eh
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatInThe View Post
    Too many things can cause high bp including inactivity/lack of exercise, diet including too much salt, lack of potassium/ideal potassium to salt ratio, dehydration, some actual physical disorders and medications. And of course white coat syndrome. I don't know if there's one solution. I know people who have home care almost always get a lower reading at home than in an office.

    Believe it not if possible sometimes a short walk and/or light exercise can help lower the bp. I know people who had physical therapy in morning and doctors visit in pm less than 3 hours later and their bp was lower their body moved/processed fluids. It's temporary but it shows the importance of exercise and activity through out the day.
    Absolutely. I wonder how many people are over diagnosed with high BP or over medicated because of the methods physicians use. I for one was wrongly medicated for a number of years because of my "white coat syndrome".

    Once again it shows that people have to be in charge if their own healthcare. Those home no monitors are a fantastic idea!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. high blood pressure
    By dollie in forum Health
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-02-2017, 08:55 AM
  2. Do You Own Your Own Blood Pressure Monitor?
    By SeaBreeze in forum Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-28-2017, 07:33 AM
  3. blood pressure
    By dollie in forum Health
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-17-2017, 09:48 AM
  4. Low Blood Sugar? High Blood Pressure?
    By fureverywhere in forum Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-16-2016, 11:24 PM
  5. Blood Pressure Meds
    By Kadee46 in forum Health
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-29-2015, 11:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Pet Forums - Health Forum