Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

What is Feminism?

Quote Originally Posted by Warrigal View Post
    I see what she is trying to do and I reject her logic.
    I have never heard of Sarah McDivitt and I'm guessing that she is no theologian.

Gotta go now. It's playgroup morning.

She says she has a Masters in Divinity at Harvard University and was a Minister at some church. If interested you can Google her, Sarah McDivitt Woods.

Yes, I also find that ironic. A minister who appears to hate God. Quite strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    That's got to be the funniest quote in this entire thread, Traveler! Your posts are virtually the definition of bickering.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever been even the tiniest bit wrong about anything (and admitted it?)

You appear to be baiting me, but I'll bite. I'll answer with the following quip: "If a man speaks in the forest, and there is no woman present to hear him, is he still wrong "?

women already have total, or near total, control of the sexual arena. A man might try for sex, but it is always the woman who makes the final decision.
    Traveler, you've made this comment or one similar in other posts. I'm curious to know what you would have males and females do differently and how you would remedy this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    She says she has a Masters in Divinity at Harvard University and was a Minister at some church. If interested you can Google her, Sarah McDivitt Woods.

Yes, I also find that ironic. A minister who appears to hate God. Quite strange.
    I have googled "Jesus was a rape baby" which happens to be the provocative title of her article. It is a lot more intelligent than you give her credit for. Read it in context https://medium.com/@artscisarah/jesu...y-98e652f2d8f8

And yes, she is a theologian

Sarah Woods is a feminist scholar, theologian, chaplain, and previously ordained minister in the United Church of Christ. She holds a BA in Religious Studies from the University of California at Santa Barbara and a Masters of Divinity from Howard University.
    Men are afraid that women will laugh at them.
    Women are afraid that men will kill them.

Well, remember, the God in this story is probably the same one who demanded that Abraham sacrifice his beloved son to prove his devotion and obedience to God, and just as he had the knife poised to kill his only child, God said, "Never mind, I was just testing you." (Not in those exact words but that's the gist of it. Read Genesis.)

How would we feel about a human monarch who did that?

So maybe the problem isn't with God, but with the limited understanding of those who wrote the Bible? After all, all this stuff was written thousands of years ago by flawed human beings. So give God a break; He's probably innocent of both crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthanne View Post
    Just to show how much each person has posted in this thread:
    Who Posted?

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Ruthanne,

What is your point, please ?
    There is no point...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Traveler, you've made this comment or one similar in other posts. I'm curious to know what you would have males and females do differently and how you would remedy this issue?

Reasonable question. I don't think there is any easy remedy possible. Having said that, I'll explain my thinking. for it is a matter I've given much thought to over the years, ever since I was hired by one of my professors as her assistant in a research study on human sexuality.

Before beginning, however, nothing I say in the following is meant to imply criticism or blame. I am merely attempting to look at this dispassionately.

My mentor first gave me a stack of books to read on, human sexuality, down through the ages. She then had me study the mating behaviors of dozens of widely different cultures. Under her tutelage, I learned that males need females far more than the reverse. (There are, of course some exceptions)

As one example out of hundreds, there are many extremely poor villages in India. In such villages it is not at all un-common for men to be so poor that they can not possibly support a wife. They have come up with an extremely unique solution. Several men, often 3 in number, pool their resources and then approach an unmarried woman of child bearing age. The men then jointly propose marriage to the woman. If the woman accepts, she then has 3 husbands to support her.

Down through history men have had to impress marriageable females with their abilities to provide, not only for her, but for any ensuing children as well. As near as I can tell, this practice goes back to the dawn of recorded history. There exists numerous cuneiform clay tablets from the time of Hammurabi (1,800 B.C.) which describe how men courted females by offering her greater and greater amounts of goods and treasure until she, finally, makes her selection.

Today things are different, but not by much. A man who is financial secure has a much better chance of finding a bride than a man who is poor. As a matter of fact I just got done reading a recent study on this very thing. Young college age females were asked if they might consider marrying a man they liked, but did not love, IF that man was wealthy. Approximately 70% of the young women answered, yes.

Women, of course, do not speak of this in such raw terms. Instead they use the euphemism, security. Everyone knows that one of the biggest causes of arguments between husband and wife is over money matters.

While there is no easy remedy to true equality between males and females it wouldn't hurt IF females asked males for dates and/or proposed marriage at roughly 50% of the time. This would certainly take a great deal of pressure off the males. It also wouldn't hurt if females learned what it was like to be rejected by their prospective lover. After all, men are rejected more often than they are accepted. Though I suspect that Tom Cruise, Matt Damon and Johnny Depp do not get rejected much.

Every once in a while I hear of a woman who is the one who proposed marriage. But I think this does not occur at anything approaching the 50% mark. Actually, one out of twenty or 5% is more likely

Of course with me, at age 71, it is entirely a moot point.

Warrigal, yes I read the entire article, several times in the last few days.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.