Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone play the ukulele?

Anyone play the ukulele?

A co-worker frequently vacations in HI. Made him promise to bring me back a ukulele the other year. It's still safely covered in one of my drawers by a bunch of tops I don't wear anymore.

I played folk guitar back in the hippie days, first a 6 string acoustic, then (and still have) a vintage Gibson 12 string. Have not played the Gibson since the 90s. My office mate received a ukulele for her b'day a couple years ago and just started lessons. She's doing pretty darn good for someone who's not musically inclined!

So any guitar / ukulele aficionados on the board that can speak to transferring talents? I'm pretty much a rhythm guitarist, so watching my friend play seems like basic strumming /chord structure and easy to translate my talents from guitar to uke.

sock monkey uke.JPG

Love 'em. Have you heard the British Ukulele Band Playing "The Big, The Bad & The Ugly" ?

(I THINK that's the name of the song.)
    Sliding down the razor blade of life.

I don't know a thing about ukulele.

Maybe Uke Minutes could help: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...7267F5A8104F41

I can't play one but every time I hear the word "ukulele" I think of Arthur Godfrey and Tiny Tim.

uke.jpg tiny.jpg

If I remember right, a guitar and ukulele are tuned differently and the cords are different also. But I think there would be an advantage going from the guitar. Mostly because you already have a sense of strumming and fingering cords. That's just a guess, I've played guitar but haven't tried a ukulele.

That ukulele song that Falcon mentioned above is really good!

Welcome to the forum..

Last edited by HazyDavey; 03-13-2018 at 07:31 AM. Reason: spelling..

I use to play my uke a lot. Still have it, setting in the closet. Bought it from Sears back in the 60s. Bunch of us guys use to get together and play Ukes and guitars. I bought a new one a couple years ago, but it won’t stay in tune. Guess it’s time to try it again.
    I ate beans and onions....ended up with tear gas.

My Favorite Ukulele Music....

No I have not! I'll have to search YouTube!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    Love 'em. Have you heard the British Ukulele Band Playing "The Big, The Bad & The Ugly" ?

(I THINK that's the name of the song.)

Me neither! lol The guy that brought back the uke for me linked me to a YT guy, I think it's "Ukulele Mike" if I recall correctly. Too bad the weekend is nearly over and work commences tomorrow and I'm out of energy for this Sunday - or I'd pull it out. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

Maybe Uke Minutes could help: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...7267F5A8104F41

Funny, I don't recall Authur Godfrey playing the uke. I mean, I'm sure I'm old enough to remember! No way can anyone forget Tiny Tim, heh?

Quote Originally Posted by IKE View Post
    I can't play one but every time I hear the word "ukulele" I think of Arthur Godfrey and Tiny Tim.

uke.jpg tiny.jpg

I seem to recall hearing that as well (different tuning). A different co-worker bought me a gadget to tune it. I've not used that either. Imagine that! lol I'd guess the transfer of knowledge/talent from guitar to uke would be fairly minimal just for the reasons you mention.

Haven't watched the video yet, but somehow I think I heard that a couple years ago. Thanks for the welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by HazyDavey View Post
    If I remember right, a guitar and ukulele are tuned differently and the cords are different also. But I think there would be an advantage going from the guitar. Mostly because you already have a sense of strumming and fingering cords. That's just a guess, I've played guitar but haven't tried a ukulele.

That ukulele song that Falcon mentioned above is really good!

Welcome to the forum..

So, your uke is in a holding pattern much like my Gibson. Work gets in the way of EVERYTHING (at least for me)! I wonder how much your Sears uke is worth these days? About 8 or so years ago I wanted a ukulele, shopped on eBay - OMG the prices are OUT there!

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    I use to play my uke a lot. Still have it, setting in the closet. Bought it from Sears back in the 60s. Bunch of us guys use to get together and play Ukes and guitars. I bought a new one a couple years ago, but it won’t stay in tune. Guess it’s time to try it again.

Edit because I was replying to the wrong post. Yes, I've heard this! Few years back. Thanks for sharing it again. Great rendition.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

Aww, too cute!

Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    My Favorite Ukulele Music....

And, apologies for the single replies. I tried to use the multi quote function but couldn't figure it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.