Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Are You "Open-Minded" Or Not?

'Stuck inside the Midwest with the LA blues again'
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    Well, no matter. We just don't like the "look" at all, not at all.

Just like we don't like the look of the young guys with their baseball caps turn around backwards. Looks stupid to us. Sure wouldn't see a young guy showing livestock at a Fair looking like that. And, I've never seen any rodeo cowboys wear their baseball cap that way either. Gee, wonder how it would look, during the National Anthem if a NASCAR driver wore their baseball cap that way. That would definitely make NASCAR headlines.

Actually, I did know a young dude, a Steer Wrestler in pro-rodeo, who had his ears and nipples pierced and had a number of tattoos. The entire rodeo industry, including the rodeo announcer teased him about it. He looked totally weird, because none, absolutely none, of the other pro-rodeo cowboys looked that way. They looked normal, but he sure didn't. He got lucky and won a World Championship, but then quit the sport. Many were glad he did.

I was just surfing past, preparing for a long day ahead, saw some comments here and had to log in for a minute...

You've commented on tattooed individuals, gays, etc., that you 'don't like;' could you clarify this:
    when you say you don't like certain groups of people, does that simply mean you prefer to avoid them, or that you think they should change to suit your preferences?

"Well, no matter. We just don't like the "look" at all, not at all.

Just like we don't like the look of the young guys with their baseball caps turn around backwards. Looks stupid to us. Sure wouldn't see a young guy showing livestock at a Fair looking like that. And, I've never seen any rodeo cowboys wear their baseball cap that way either. Gee, wonder how it would look, during the National Anthem if a NASCAR driver wore their baseball cap that way. That would definitely make NASCAR headlines. "

Well I don't like allot of that stuff myself but.....A; I don't let it ruin my day & B; I suggest you not let it ruin yours.

That said...you too have the right to do as you please .

Quote Originally Posted by Robusta View Post
    Well don't go anywhere on my account. I am rude crude and in your face. (in other words frank direct and honest) A typical New Yorker if you will.
    I don't know any ranchers, but most of my acquaintances and family are farmers. I have family in Utah, Nevada and New Mexico. Not a single person that I know is as judgmental as you seem to be about people that do not mirror you.

Do you remember the movie, "Bad Day at Black Rock" with Spencer Tracy? I think that you would be mayor of Black Rock.

Yes, we are both judgmental and I think, actually KNOW, there are many people out there that are the same exact way, but just won't admit it. They will say something against tattoo's, but will also say they aren't judgmental. Saying they don't like them is the same as being judgmental. Also, of course we like people that "mirror" us, a lot of folks do like that. Actually, the interests wife and I share, the rest of the family, on her side and mine, don't at all.

Another thing, I've never even heard of a ranch or farm family going to Disneyland, Disney World or any other big entertainment place. Believe me, there is definitely differences, in many ways, between folks from East Coast States and some other States. The differences aren't bad at all, but, that can also depend on who a person is talking to.

Quote Originally Posted by JaniceM View Post
    I was just surfing past, preparing for a long day ahead, saw some comments here and had to log in for a minute...

You've commented on tattooed individuals, gays, etc., that you 'don't like;' could you clarify this:
    when you say you don't like certain groups of people, does that simply mean you prefer to avoid them, or that you think they should change to suit your preferences?
    Chose not to know or hang out with any. One thing for sure, neither of us would be marching in a protest of them.

Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    "Well, no matter. We just don't like the "look" at all, not at all.

Just like we don't like the look of the young guys with their baseball caps turn around backwards. Looks stupid to us. Sure wouldn't see a young guy showing livestock at a Fair looking like that. And, I've never seen any rodeo cowboys wear their baseball cap that way either. Gee, wonder how it would look, during the National Anthem if a NASCAR driver wore their baseball cap that way. That would definitely make NASCAR headlines. "

Well I don't like allot of that stuff myself but.....A; I don't let it ruin my day & B; I suggest you not let it ruin yours.

That said...you too have the right to do as you please .
    Doesn't ruin my day, I can be just verbal about likes and dislikes........that's all.

Doesn't ruin my day, I can be just verbal about likes and dislikes........that's all.
    Yes you certainly CAN.
    I ‘can’ jump in THIS thread too
    HI

Oh, BTW, you think I'm judgmental, you should hear my brother talk about people from India AND some of the things I've mentioned. And, he's a Deacon at the church him and his wife attend.

Anyway, guess there are just certain topics (Threads) that shouldn't be discuss.........perhaps this being one of them. Too much controversy!

On the subject of tattoos. I have a niece that I love to bits who sports a number of rather visible tattoos. I don't love the tats but as I said, my niece is very lovable and she has a very big heart.

I dislike the current trend of body 'art' and it brings out the 'tut tut' response in me. I mostly see it on the arms of burly football players in the form of full sleeve tattoos. I'm not a fan of hyper masculinity at the best of times and usually mentally mark them down, preferring a more clean cut look on young people.

Yesterday I was watching TV footage of people battling to save homes from out of control fires that are not too far from where I live. The air has been full of the smell of smoke for two days now and helicopters have been overhead dumping water. The TV was following a man who was flat out attempting to save neighbours homes. He had no protective clothing on and in the heat his arms were bare. They were heavily tattooed and it occurred to me that I should remind myself to judge people more by the size of their hearts, and less on the decorations on their skin.
    We still think of a powerful man as a born leader
    and a powerful woman as an anomaly - Margaret Atwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrigal View Post
    On the subject of tattoos. I have a niece that I love to bits who sports a number of rather visible tattoos. I don't love the tats but as I said, my niece is very lovable and she has a very big heart.

I dislike the current trend of body 'art' and it brings out the 'tut tut' response in me. I mostly see it on the arms of burly football players in the form of full sleeve tattoos. I'm not a fan of hyper masculinity at the best of times and usually mentally mark them down, preferring a more clean cut look on young people.

Yesterday I was watching TV footage of people battling to save homes from out of control fires that are not too far from where I live. The air has been full of the smell of smoke for two days now and helicopters have been overhead dumping water. The TV was following a man who was flat out attempting to save neighbours homes. He had no protective clothing on and in the heat his arms were bare. They were heavily tattooed and it occurred to me that I should remind myself to judge people more by the size of their hearts, and less on the decorations on their skin.
    Letís see, what can I say about this? OK, anyone can be a thoughtful, nice and kind person, but we just happen to think more highly of those that arenít full of tattoos.

There is no way that I could see the 42 year old Pastor of the Church weíve gone to with tattoos on his arms and weíve seen him in short sleeves. I also couldnít imagine the Prayer Group leaders with tattoos plastered all over them. In fact, come to think of it, wife and I have never seen anyone attend any church weíve been to displaying tattoos, body piercings or different colors of hair.

Iíve been to areas of Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotaís, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma and other where none of this stuff was present. Actually, I think some folks move to those areas to get away from people who like or approve of this stuff.

Our church is the same as yours. No visible tattoos on anyone.
    However, if someone entered our doors sporting an array of tats, even if some of them look rather demonic, we would not turn them away.
    After all, did not Jesus say that he came to heal the sick, not the healthy?
    Perhaps the tattooed ones are not the only ones in need of healing?
    We still think of a powerful man as a born leader
    and a powerful woman as an anomaly - Margaret Atwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrigal View Post
    and it occurred to me that I should remind myself to judge people more by the size of their hearts, and less on the decorations on their skin.
    BEAUTIFUL!

Iíve been to areas of Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotaís, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma and other where none of this stuff was present. Actually, I think some folks move to those areas to get away from people who like or approve of this stuff.
    So you are saying that no one in the aforementioned states have any of the characteristics that you despise. Or that they would and should be discriminated against pointed out have their business boycotted,and be crucified by the likes of you.

My son is a Baptist Preacher. He has several tattoos.
    Do you really think Jesus would not sit and eat with a tattooed pierced Mohawk sporting homosexual? The Jesus I have read about would more than welcome him,and probably cast you away from the table.
    If you sincerely ask for his forgiveness he would gladly welcome you back along with more colorful ones.
    I really would hope that you are praying to your savior that he might help you to develop some love and most of all empathy for those different than yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Keesha View Post
    BEAUTIFUL!
    BUT, this is how you and the other member feel, NOT the way everyone in America feels.

Not everyone likes, or can tolerate, being around smokers, people who use the ďfĒ word, plus this other stuff.

There are those that would never live around Livestock, go to a rodeo or horse show, donít like Country-Western music and really dislike firearms. Just Thank God this isnít everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robusta View Post
    So you are saying that no one in the aforementioned states have any of the characteristics that you despise. Or that they would and should be discriminated against pointed out have their business boycotted,and be crucified by the likes of you.

My son is a Baptist Preacher. He has several tattoos.
    Do you really think Jesus would not sit and eat with a tattooed pierced Mohawk sporting homosexual? The Jesus I have read about would more than welcome him,and probably cast you away from the table.
    If you sincerely ask for his forgiveness he would gladly welcome you back along with more colorful ones.
    I really would hope that you are praying to your savior that he might help you to develop some love and most of all empathy for those different than yourself.
    We are different than you. Why is that SO, SO hard for you to understand that, like us, people are different. If we choose not to like certain things about people, that IS our right.

My brother is a devoted Christian, yet he dislikes people from India and has no problem telling anyone that.

Different parts of America have different types of people. Los Angeles has all kinds and is really diverse, whereas Billings, Montana definitely isnít and neither is Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Well, I think Iím done with this Thread. From discussing these things in this Thread, I can definitely tell that none of you would want to live in parts of Colorado or in Wyoming, Montana or surrounding States. The serious lack of diversity and other things, that we would like, wouldnít be attractive to most of the members here.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.