Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Do You Have A Friend Of The Opposite Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzkitt View Post
    PVC....That's a long friendship. Just curious, I am assuming you start out with email and progress to skype??? I know of one lady that started out with an online long distance and different country friendship.She was from Ontario and he was from Texas. It progressed over time and they eventually married.
    That's how my wife and I met and began our relationship as well. She was also from Ontario and I from Mass. She was a friend of a friend on fb, I sent a pm to her regarding a thread we had both posted in and it took on a life of it's own from there. We will be married 7 years in December.

On a side note there is an awful lot of judgemental bs going on in this thread. Not sure why some people don't understand that not everyone thinks and lives as they do, some people are actually happy being different. But reading this thread wasn't a total loss, I learned that gay women aren't members of the opposite sex.

Quote Originally Posted by JimW View Post
    That's how my wife and I met and began our relationship as well. She was also from Ontario and I from Mass. She was a friend of a friend on fb, I sent a pm to her regarding a thread we had both posted in and it took on a life of it's own from there. We will be married 7 years in December.

On a side note there is an awful lot of judgemental bs going on in this thread. Not sure why some people don't understand that not everyone thinks and lives as they do, some people are actually happy being different. But reading this thread wasn't a total loss, I learned that gay women aren't members of the opposite sex.
    People will be judgmental, just the way many humans are. I see absolutely nothing wrong with being that way. Sometimes bad things can happen in life when a person isn't judgmental, which is basically associating with the wrong type of people. I think that there are just those that approve more of what many consider "normal" than other types of people. A lot of people have their own ideas of what "normal" is, while others might consider "normal" as just about anything. One person can say, "the person sure seems normal to me", while another person can easily say, "no way".

Charles Bronson is not homely IMO. Not at all. Woody Allen looks homely.

I think we all agree chemistry is crucial and that explains why people with seemingly
    nothing in common and opposing types are couples. The rest is physical.
    Then again, suppose you met a poor man with much chemistry for you. If he has no ambition or a lousy job
    that would change your mind/

As we (or at least me) become seniors, our chemistry dissipates.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

I think we all agree chemistry is crucial and that explains why people with seemingly
    Then again, suppose you met a poor man with much chemistry for you. If he has no ambition or a lousy job
    that would change your mind
    /

That did, sort of, happened to me once years ago, way before meeting my wife. There was a lady at a local nightclub that I was very interested in asking her out. She was definitely good looking, actually TOO good looking for me. I was just about to ask her out and she turned to me and said "Don't even ask, because I will say no. I definitely know you can't afford me". Where some would find that rude of her to say, I really, really appreciated her saying that. She told me the truth............I really, really couldn't afford her! I had a $10 per hour job as a Stockroom Supervisor, temporarily living in a weekly motel room and driving an old truck.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    People will be judgmental, just the way many humans are. I see absolutely nothing wrong with being that way. Sometimes bad things can happen in life when a person isn't judgmental, which is basically associating with the wrong type of people. I think that there are just those that approve more of what many consider "normal" than other types of people. A lot of people have their own ideas of what "normal" is, while others might consider "normal" as just about anything. One person can say, "the person sure seems normal to me", while another person can easily say, "no way".
    Having different points of view and being respectful in voicing them is one thing, being judgemental to the point of being insulting is another.

Quote Originally Posted by JimW View Post
    Having different points of view and being respectful in voicing them is one thing, being judgemental to the point of being insulting is another.
    Well, one person's idea of being insulted is another person's idea of "I'm just stating what I think". Someone, where we live, thought I had insulted my wife by something I said about her. The person looked at me and said "that wasn't very nice towards your wife" and, believe or not, both wife and I started laughing. My wife looked at the person and said "you don't know my husband like I do. He wasn't insulting me at all. He was just stating a fact and said it pretty funny".

Later, she looked at me in our apartment and said, "some people. They just don't have the humor or understanding like we do". She was completely right. My wife doesn't "judge" people and things as much as I do, but she does do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

that would change your mind/

Woody Allen is ugly, and so are Howard Stern and Mick Jagger. I have no chemistry and also no respect for them. I had respect AND chemistry with Bronson. For a long term relationship I would have to have chemistry AND respect AND at least some compatibility. I disagree, I think chemistry lives on into old age if the respect is still there and we still get along. And if he had no ambition but I had chemistry, I would have a wild love affair and then dump him. I am not high maintenance, but I would never want to live paychek-to-paycheck either or have to carry all the responsibility of making a living for the both of us. I happen to be ambitious to get ahead and not live in poverty. All women are different and all men are different, they each have their limits and deal breakers. There are women and men who don't mind being a doormat to their partners or are willing to put up with a miserable relationship so as to avoid divorce. I have known lots of couples like that.

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    Woody Allen is ugly, and so are Howard Stern and Mick Jagger. I have no chemistry and also no respect for them. I had respect AND chemistry with Bronson. For a long term relationship I would have to have chemistry AND respect AND at least some compatibility. I disagree, I think chemistry lives on into old age if the respect is still there and we still get along. And if he had no ambition but I had chemistry, I would have a wild love affair and then dump him. I am not high maintenance, but I would never want to live paychek-to-paycheck either or have to carry all the responsibility of making a living for the both of us. I happen to be ambitious to get ahead and not live in poverty. All women are different and all men are different, they each have their limits and deal breakers. There are women and men who don't mind being a doormat to their partners or are willing to put up with a miserable relationship so as to avoid divorce. I have known lots of couples like that.
    Well, even though I get a fairly small SS Retirement each month (less than $1k), my wife is the main "money maker" on her Mon thru Fri. job. I compensate by taking care of our apartment, doing laundry and most of the cooking as well as running a few errands during the week. She has told me many times, "I don't know what I do if you weren't home doing these things. I know I couldn't do this stuff after working a full 8 hours."

One thing for sure, she has definitely had a much, much better time getting jobs than I did. She has the college degrees that I don't. I wouldn't even compare my resume' to hers.

Well, even though I get a fairly small SS Retirement each month (less than $1k), my wife is the main "money maker" on her Mon thru Fri. job. I compensate by taking care of our apartment, doing laundry and most of the cooking as well as running a few errands during the week. She has told me many times, "I don't know what I do if you weren't home doing these things. I know I couldn't do this stuff after working a full 8 hours."

One thing for sure, she has definitely had a much, much better time getting jobs than I did. She has the college degrees that I don't. I wouldn't even compare my resume' to hers.
    That is fine. You try to help any way you can. You don't sleep all day or lay on the couch, and expect her to come home and do everything and wait on you after working at a job. My father was a typical old world Italian. Here in the US he had a full time job and so did my mother, yet after work he would sit and bark orders at my mother, he wouldn't even get up to get the salt shaker. I was livid but figured if my mother let him get away with it, it was her life to do as she pleased. We each have our limits.

That did, sort of, happened to me once years ago, way before meeting my wife. There was a lady at a local nightclub that I was very interested in asking her out. She was definitely good looking, actually TOO good looking for me. I was just about to ask her out and she turned to me and said "Don't even ask, because I will say no. I definitely know you can't afford me". Where some would find that rude of her to say, I really, really appreciated her saying that. She told me the truth............I really, really couldn't afford her! I had a $10 per hour job as a Stockroom Supervisor, temporarily living in a weekly motel room and driving an old truck.

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    If he had no ambition Iíd have to have a wild love affair and then dump him?
    Thats being brutally honest but you have a very good point. Many couples stay together miserable because they want to avoid divorce. So very true. Some things are deal breakers but once youíre married, you made a commitment for better or worst so Itís not as easy or as cut and dry. Plus it goes both ways. I sure wouldnít want to be cheated on but nor have I ever cheated.

p.s. Those three donít do anything for me either. lol

My best friends are of the opposite sex and all PLATONIC.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.