Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is There A Non-Stick Skillet That Actually Works??!!

Is There A Non-Stick Skillet That Actually Works??!!

I must have 10 skillets, some non-stick and none of them live up to their claim. Can anyone recommend one that does?

The T-fal ceramic skillet works great, no sticking. I have probably used it at least 5 times a week for the last six months, so lots of use, and it is just now starting to stick. I have the one with the lid so it makes it good for simmering or frying.

I have also tried the Heritage Rock, it's good but only for about 3 months or so.

Try this; I love mine.

Orgreenic

orgreenic.jpg

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    The last one I bought was a Green+Life. It has a white finish and nothing sticks.

My main set of pots and pans are by Cuisinart. No Teflon but they don't stick either. Very very heavy and thick, which is good for cooking but sometimes are just too heavy for my achy wrists when they're full.

I have a set of Farberware cookware that I retired to use in the camper. I got it in 1974 and it's still in great shape and cooks well. I'd still be using that set at home but the Spousal Equivalent got me the Cuisinart set a few Christmases ago and he likes that set. So.....
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

I agree that some of the old stainless steel sets are still the best but they do stick. I have a set of Lagostina that has to be over 20 years old. Good heavy duty stuff but I still use the non stick for stuff like frying bacon & eggs.

Seasoned cast iron! Still the best "non-stick" skillet!

Quote Originally Posted by wvnewbie View Post
    I agree. I have a 10 inch cast iron skillet that, according to family lore, my grandmother (born 1884) used when she was a young girl. I still use it often.
    Life is an adventure to those with the courage to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by wvnewbie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by helenbacque View Post
    I agree. I have a 10 inch cast iron skillet that, according to family lore, my grandmother (born 1884) used when she was a young girl. I still use it often.

Yup

we have the 15 incher

'seasoned' is the key
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

We, too, have purchased several "non-stick" pans, in recent years. Perhaps the best one, and the longest lasting, was also the cheapest....been using it almost daily for several months, without a problem

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontin...-Gray/52636788
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

If you use rubber spatulas and nothing metal that will scratch the surface, a non stick pan will stay non stick.

When it gets full of scratches it has lost it's coating and will stick.

I'm looking for one of those Ceramic non stick myself now.

The one I have is five years old. It still works but I just want to try those ceramic ones.

Camper, mine has no scratches, I think it is just the constant heating that causes the finish to lose it's coating over time.

I have now read several reviews of the "best" non-sticks and too many say the pans have lost the not stick property. I never used metal utensils but I have used a Scrub Daddy and perhaps that is the reason but it is nonmetallic so it should not harm the surfaces.

From my experience as a chef: Properly seasoned/broken in cast iron skillet=no stick. Properly seasoned/broken in stainless steel high-end skillet=no-stick. You need to know how to treat your cookware. I use wooden spatulas, rarely metal, pancakes being the exception. I pan flip foods, most of the time, eschewing the use of spatulas, entirely. I never use soap on mine, never scour with pads that scratch, always rub with the press/roll patterns of the steel, on stainless, when cleaning. You can see them, upon inspection. I would never use the chemically derived no-stick pans. You are applying high heat, at times, to chemical compounds that may not be good for your continued good health.

Another vote for cast iron, I have 4 that I rescued from charity shops and flea markets.

A 6" that I use for eggs and grilled cheese sandwiches.

A 9" that I use for everything else including cornbread and pineapple upside down cakes.

A 12" and a 14" that are now too big and too heavy for me to use safely when they are full.

I'm curious about this seasoning of cast iron skillets. Do you mean floating in grease? It probably won't stick if it floats. (Just kidding... )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.