Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Apartment Living

Apartment Living

My wife & I have been home owners all our adult lives. We have just sold our home & will be moving into a nice upscale apartment at the end of this month. It has an island, a common room, an exercise room & there is a nearby park with a walking path along the banks of a river.

We are sick & tired of home ownership & really sick of all the "stuff" we have bought over the years. I have sold some of it but mostly we have given it away to a local charity shop. Both of us love walking but we hated the ice & snow for 6 month of the year (we live in central Canada). Who wants to fall & crack your hip? We decided to rent for the rest of our lives, we did not want to buy a condo.

We would love to hear from people who have sold their homes & moved to an apartment. How do you like it?

Well, Maintenance and owners of our apartment complex take care of appliances that go bad. A few years ago, we got a brand new A/C Unit outside. A year or so ago, a new water heater, oxygen sensor, new thermostat, new garbage disposal and new blinds.
    No property taxes. A landscaping company takes care of the lawns and scrubs.........not us.

Had a house and sold it when we left the state we lived in. Don't have the finances anymore to buy another one or even a condo. Can't use my VA for a Home Loan, because the Veteran (me) has to be on a job for at least 5 years for the bank loan.

Living in an apartment doesn't bother me, unless there are really noisy people that live above us.........then, it's time to talk to management and let the upstairs neighbors know just how loud they are.
    Twirling my drumsticks! Ready to ROCK!!

Lived in many apartments as a kid....divorced mom couldn't afford much else. Then as a young adult on my own did the same. Finally bought a house in my mid 30's. Had this place [2nd house] built when I was 50 and retiring.

I have always been a garage nut & motorcyclist...so garage meant allot too me. Now @ 69[in June] with arthritis....those two things have slipped in importance, as such I too am considering a move ?....Down size / sell off.....so to speak.

My only concern with apartment living again is....Your neighbors are close & a person is at the mercy of their behavior .

At an upscale address ? Better odds in your favor , but of course there are no guarantees regarding people.

I may ? just stay here & hire out what i can no longer do, as it happens ?..Might be cheaper in the long run? And of course max privacy in home remains.

Hi Packerjohn, also from Canada and am on a waiting list for 3 buildings, not upscale, not downscale, just in between scale. But just in case I keep looking daily at listings for mobile homes in nice parks. I just not sure I can adjust to apartment living. I will not be able to use the balcony as I do not like heights, I will miss having a garden, so much will change.

Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    My only concern with apartment living again is....Your neighbors are close & a person is at the mercy of their behavior .
    I am like a caged lion in an apartment

can't

“Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

The only reason I didn't care much for apartment living was that you never knew when the rent was going up, maybe beyond your budget this time, or maybe the whole place would be converted to condos next year. Early in life, that was not so bad. I had enough energy to move. In fact it was often exciting. Not so sure now.

I guess I should add, your taxes might raise beyond your means too, if you own a house. My neighbor's house just sold for way above its value. That means everyone's taxes in the neighborhood will go up. Oh well...

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    If the time every comes that I'm on my own again, it's apartment time for sure. My late husband and I rented a townhouse for a couple of years between owning homes and I really miss being able to call down to the office and say, "YOUR waterheater has stopped working or there's a leak in YOUR toilet or something is running around in YOUR attic" and they send someone over to fix THEIR items.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jujube View Post
    If the time every comes that I'm on my own again, it's apartment time for sure. My late husband and I rented a townhouse for a couple of years between owning homes and I really miss being able to call down to the office and say, "YOUR waterheater has stopped working or there's a leak in YOUR toilet or something is running around in YOUR attic" and they send someone over to fix THEIR items.
    Excellent reason!!
    Twirling my drumsticks! Ready to ROCK!!

"Early in life, that was not so bad. I had enough energy to move. In fact it was often exciting. Not so sure now."

Excellent point !

It suits me now but would not have prior to the past few years. I think that our living needs change as we age and as life circumstances change. and being open and accepting of change adds to personal contentment and peace of mind.
    Life is an adventure to those with the courage to explore.

After owning our own homes for over 50 years I am quite content to be in a rented apartment now.
    My only complaint is that I am responsible for painting the place after being here 8 years.
    I don't have the energy or resources to do that. The public areas are well maintained, what about
    the interior of the apartments, especially in a senior's residence.

At this point, I prefer renting.

One often overlooked advantage of renting there is no compulsion to constantly remodel, and improve your home, it saves a bundle!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    ...One often overlooked advantage of renting there is no compulsion to constantly remodel, and improve your home...
    But that's the fun part! My aim is to get my house perfect, by the day I take my last breath... "

"Here lies her ashes. She finally got that house just right!"

Then they can do whatever they want with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyNGA View Post
    But that's the fun part! My aim is to get my house perfect, by the day I take my last breath... "

"Here lies her ashes. She finally got that house just right!"

Then they can do whatever they want with it.
    I'll stick with renting thanks!

My apartment is a condo. We moved here 3 years ago from a condo townhouse. I miss the garage and that senior community had more things to do than this one.
    Paid for is beautiful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.