Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

tired of diet talk!

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    Having lived on this Earth for 70 years one this I've learned is that if you don't like what the dieticians are telling you you should eat, just wait around for a while and it will change.

"What we've got here, is failure to communicate."

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    Anyone remember Nathan Pritikin? I read one of his books back in the day. Well, I read some of it. What a miserable way to live! About halfway through I slammed dunked it into the trash. Him and his "Pritikin Longevity Center" I was so mad at the guy I felt like hunting him down and punching his lights out. But I got the last laugh. He only lived to be 69. And I'm 70. Even if I drop dead before I make my next keystroke I will have whooped his butt.
    "What we've got here, is failure to communicate."

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I know a guy over 30 who has never eaten a piece of meat, fruit of any kind and no vegetables except potato and refried beans.
    He mainly eats cheese and cheese pizza, burritos. No beverages, only water. He has no curiosity to try food at all.
    I think he's scared of food or something.
    Eats like a 4 year old. Seriously.

Remember the guy, about 5 or so years ago that for one year he lived on cheeseburgers & beer only ?..I do think he included morning coffee?...It was supposedly documented? After the year, he passed all the tests at the docs office, and lost something like 5-6 pounds.

I never did / do not remember,.. a follow-up on the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Trade View Post
    Anyone remember Nathan Pritikin? I read one of his books back in the day. Well, I read some of it. What a miserable way to live! About halfway through I slammed dunked it into the trash. Him and his "Pritikin Longevity Center" I was so mad at the guy I felt like hunting him down and punching his lights out. But I got the last laugh. He only lived to be 69. And I'm 70. Even if I drop dead before I make my next keystroke I will have whooped his butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trade View Post

But then there is this.........

"Nutrition guru Nathan Pritikin met his death by suicide in the face of two different kinds of leukemia last February with arteries like those of a child and a heart like that of a young man, according to results of his autopsy being published today for the first time. ..."But while the extraordinary condition of the vessels supplying blood to the 69-year-old Pritikin's heart is being seized on by advocates of the dietary regimen Pritikin pioneered as proof that his eating habits can cause reversal of hardening of the arteries, the question is likely to remain unresolved and controversial for many more years.

That said....somethings going to get us....we can't win !

Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    I think people should be able to eat what they want....IF they are willing to take the responsibility for supporting any "side effects" their habits may cause. According to the data at the CDC, Obesity, and its attendant problems, accounts for over 30% of this nations health care costs. It is well known, for example, that smoking causes excessive health issues, and smokers have to pay a "surcharge" on their health insurance premiums. Perhaps if people who are overweight had to also pay to support their bad habits, we might not have to pay twice as much for health care as most other nations.
    ABSOLUTELY! We Americans eat way too much junk food and eat a hell of a lot more meat than is required to meet the daily protein need. And we prove it by the obesity and need for drugs and doctors. I think moderation is the key for healthy living. Have that cheesecake or beer or chips or whatever unhealthy food you crave but not EVERYDAY.

On a deathbed, did any one ever say that they wished they had eaten
    more veggies? And more fruit? And no potato chips?

You will never hear this. If I ate only what they tell you to eat
    I would be dead or constantly hungry and totally dissatisfied.

Did anyone ever say I wished I ate less cake and candy?

NO
    Right now I agree with you!!

On a deathbed, did any one ever say that they wished they had eaten
    more veggies? And more fruit? And no potato chips?

You will never hear this. If I ate only what they tell you to eat
    I would be dead or constantly hungry and totally dissatisfied.

Did anyone ever say I wished I ate less cake and candy?

NO
    On the other hand, I rather doubt if anyone has ever said "I wish I had eaten more cake and candy and potato chips" on their death bed. Pizza, maybe, though.

I will probably say ...... "wish I had eaten more chocolate."

That sounds bad. But on the other hands I know people who only eat meat, smoke cigarettes and drink coffee. Nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by DaneWin View Post
    That sounds bad. But on the other hands I know people who only eat meat, smoke cigarettes and drink coffee. Nothing else.
    Sounds like my type of guy/gal if we can add wine to the list.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.