Planning retirement experiences

Smile Planning retirement experiences

Well, I have the financials part planned for a retirement. BUT, I have become one of those empty nestors that is now on his own. Used to be it was going to be two of us, but now she is gone. Our thoughts were for two and now I am on my own to figure out the where, the when, the how, move or no move, stay in the home and go rogue, ....just alot of questions that I have to plan on my own and being alone. Not a groupie nor a condo character, but an outdoorsy type of person. So, I look at what I like to do at this point in my life, and figure I have one more move to make and do not want to flip flop when I make a decision. So, much easier when there was two because there was always a compromise and it was okay, but , now I have to make all the decisions and live with.... So, I am feeling out the next moves.

Dump everything or hang on to some lifeline of stability and go cheap. But, there is always that "Where" question? Just doing a data dump to get some viewpoints and ideas from people with similar sitauations....

My husband has terminal cancer and by the summer, I too, will be alone, on my own. I have come to the decision to give myself a year, minimum, to make all those decisions you have also. Perhaps it will be two years. I’ve realized it is too much to try and make all of the decisions right now.
    Good luck, it sure isn’t easy.

She passed 7 years ago and I just figured I would keep on my current glide path and keep planning and preparing. As time goes on I wonder how I should think. Should I think about doing things I like now or plan to make changes in my activities or living conditions.

If I think the way I am active now I would simply keep working at some level; be active outdoors like I am now; take care of the yard; etc. etc. etc. But that would seem like I am just doing what I do until the end. All of which seems okay, as I am healthy and able.

For instance, I have a friend 60 yrs old who is hell bent on quiting her job and taking low level work and just existing in retirement. I am of the opinion that I want to be productive as long as I am able at a certain level. Then I will know when the time comes. I am not wanting to have a catastrophic event dictate my retirement.

One friend is 73 and still commutes to work from another state on a weekly basis. Certainly he can retire but he likes his work. I think I am trying to identify replacement activities for work that will keep me vibrant into the retirement years. That I have not found just yet. So, I am trying to get some ideas and learn from others......

Quote Originally Posted by Runyun View Post
    Well, I have the financials part planned for a retirement. BUT, I have become one of those empty nestors that is now on his own. Used to be it was going to be two of us, but now she is gone. Our thoughts were for two and now I am on my own to figure out the where, the when, the how, move or no move, stay in the home and go rogue, ....just alot of questions that I have to plan on my own and being alone. Not a groupie nor a condo character, but an outdoorsy type of person. So, I look at what I like to do at this point in my life, and figure I have one more move to make and do not want to flip flop when I make a decision. So, much easier when there was two because there was always a compromise and it was okay, but , now I have to make all the decisions and live with.... So, I am feeling out the next moves.

Dump everything or hang on to some lifeline of stability and go cheap. But, there is always that "Where" question? Just doing a data dump to get some viewpoints and ideas from people with similar sitauations....
    QUESTION------How old are you Runyun? Did you date or meet any ladies after your wife passed? Would you marry again? Do you have children? How did you earn a living? Knowing a little more about you can help us give you some ideas.

You didn't state your age, but remember, never again will you be as young as you are right now. I recommend doing the things that you enjoy while you can, soon enough you may have to limit them. If in the meantime should you happen to find a soulmate, you can look out for each other.

50's; not encumbered with any bills; all things paid off; just me hanging around; do not do anything except work and take care of things; I like MC, outdoor activities; like shooting activities; traveled all my life and do not consider traveling to be a retirement goal, but a method to get from one place to another; I would like to figure out if I move into this same lifestyle going into retirement or something different; often think about staying remote like I am or will I want to be clustered with other similar age. I tend to want to consider living with a wide age range of people with similar ideals like hard work, pay my way and be held accountable for my actions. I would be more at ease in the midwest than in Boston. Stay in house or move and get equity out and enjoy a cheaper house/location and lifestyle. That sort highlights my thoughts as I move closer down the decision tree....

What you want in your 50's/60's may be (and probably will be) quite different than what you will need in your late 70's and through your 80's.

If you are uncertain then take it slow and don't tie yourself - or your money - into something that in 3-5 years turns out to be not what you wanted it to be. Look for maximum flexibility and a moderate amount of change. See how it works out and if small changes will make the situation better, or if perhaps you need to move on to a bigger change.

These are your active senior years. Take advantage of them; they won't last forever. All kinds of new opportunities (and friends) can open up for you if you have the flexibility to look around and try pushing your comfort zone a bit.

Best of luck to you going forward.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.