Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Eating a plant-based diet.

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    Colleen, you eat only once a day? How does that work? Do you eat all ALL the rest of the day? Snacking etc? Are you hungry before time to sleep?

Even though I am a vegetarian, I am still 20 lbs overweight. I blame it on my love of cheese and breads, my age (slower metabolism as you age), sedentary lifestyle. I've read that the French eat their main meal in the day and have time to work it off before sleep. I tried it, but I have very little appetite in the morning and noon, my main appetite is in the evening.
    We eat around noon every day. I don't cook like I use to but then we're not as active as we use to be so we don't need a lot of extra food to try to burn off. Today, we had tuna (not the cheap kind) sandwiches and baked beans. Nothing else until about 6:30pm. My husband makes popcorn with a little unsalted butter and parmesan cheese sprinkled on it for our movie time. Some nights he'll have crackers and cheese and I might have a couple pieces of toast or a bowl of cereal. We've been eating like this for years and it agrees with our digestive system the best. There's days I do cook and I'll fix chicken thighs and we'll split a baked potato or we'll have a pork chop and some veggies. I do have burger in the freezer but it's grass-fed only. We don't get hungry before bed. Our snack holds us and we don't feel stuffed like when we were eating a regular meal at dinner time. It works for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    What can/do you eat on a plant-based diet?? Just fruit and veggies? Have you lost weight doing this? Don't you get hungry? What about proteins? Do you take supplements/vitamins to give you other nutrients your body needs?
    I get plenty of protein from legumes and greens. Some people do not realize how much protein is in greens, we only think about getting our minerals from greens and not protein.
    If you read Victoria Boutenko’s book called Green for Life, she explains completely which greens have the most of which minerals, and also which ones have the most protein.
    Our body has to break down the protein that comes from animal products and then re-build it in a form that our body can use; but from plant proteins, we can start using this protein much easier.

I actually do not get hungry as often because of all of the protein and fiber that I am getting from the legumes. When you eat a hamburger patty, or a piece of chicken, you get grease and protein, but no fiber.
    When you eat a bowlful of beans, you get protein and fiber, and no grease, plus lots of vitamins and minerals.
    We have a picture of a vegan as some pale scrawny person, but if the vegan is eating a healthy plant-based diet, then they do not look like that, and they are very healthy.

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars....... Og Mandino

I eat hardly any meat anymore, but I don't consider myself a real vegetarian. I do eat fish and chicken, but not nearly as often as I used to. I have always liked vegetables, so I don't really miss the meat, and I've found that I actually feel better eating less meat (especially red meat).

I find myself eating less meat and more veggies, fruit, and whole grains.

Has anyone heard of Volumetrics? It came out in, I think, the 90's. It's based on energy density but very easy to follow, healthy, and best of all you can eat a lot of food. It's very sensible, not faddish.

Quote Originally Posted by hearlady View Post
    I find myself eating less meat and more veggies, fruit, and whole grains.

Has anyone heard of Volumetrics? It came out in, I think, the 90's. It's based on energy density but very easy to follow, healthy, and best of all you can eat a lot of food. It's very sensible, not faddish.
    I have a copy of the book and refer to it often.

It is helpful to see how making a few simple changes to your diet allows you to fill up and feel satisfied on fewer calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    I have a copy of the book and refer to it often.

It is helpful to see how making a few simple changes to your diet allows you to fill up and feel satisfied on fewer calories.
    Same here Aunt Bea. I'm glad I never got rid of my book.

Central Coast, New South Wales Australia.
    fmdog44 That is interesting in the advice about sugar I wonder if I cut it out all together if it would do the same for me I have neuropathy and iron overload which is genetic
    I think passed down from one of the parents but not sure which one as they both died from illnesses relating to the iron overload problems too .. anyway I`ll try to give the sugar a go and see if it can stop my joint pain and maybe help lose a little weight too in the long run.. having my daughter here too eating lots of salads as she loves them will be a bonus too , so thanks for sharing your post and its great advice ..
    A single rose can be my garden... a single friend, my world.
    Leo Buscaglia

Quote Originally Posted by Rainee View Post
    fmdog44 That is interesting in the advice about sugar I wonder if I cut it out all together if it would do the same for me I have neuropathy and iron overload which is genetic
    I think passed down from one of the parents but not sure which one as they both died from illnesses relating to the iron overload problems too .. anyway I`ll try to give the sugar a go and see if it can stop my joint pain and maybe help lose a little weight too in the long run.. having my daughter here too eating lots of salads as she loves them will be a bonus too , so thanks for sharing your post and its great advice ..
    Good luck with cutting out the sugar. I've always been skinny and never had a problem with gaining weight until the last 5 years. I think my metabolism just quit but I kept eating the same as I always did. When we retired we traveled around in our 5th-wheel and I didn't get the exercise like I once did and eating in senior RV parks didn't help. I've always had a sweet tooth so it's the hardest thing for me to give up. Now that I'm 71, I've gotten arthritis in my right hip and some days it's worse than others...depending on the weather. I've read that sugar can affect joint pain and also glutton. Basically, my overall way of eating needs to change. Old habits are hard to break, aren't they?

liquid stevia walmart ...nutmeg cinnamon..almond milk

This is a fairly long video, but it does a really good job of explaining about foods that are addicting, as well as how commercial food processing companies use this to their advantage to sell us more and more of their (unhealthy) food products.

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars....... Og Mandino

Quote Originally Posted by Happyflowerlady View Post
    This is a fairly long video, but it does a really good job of explaining about foods that are addicting, as well as how commercial food processing companies use this to their advantage to sell us more and more of their (unhealthy) food products.
    Two hours is indeed a fairly long video. Can you give us the Reader's Digest version? Probably a lot about salt, sugar and fat, yes?
    “The world needs a sense of worth, and it will achieve it only by its people feeling that they are worthwhile.” - Fred Rogers

I am a lucky man. i'm 85. I eat whatever I feel like. No restrictions. No diabetes.

But i don't eat a lot. Very small meals. My weight is almost exactly what it was when I was playing football in high school.

The real secret of course is eating small meals. You don't need huge smorgasbords.

I go on kicks. Every once in awhile I crave pastries. But it doesn't last.

And I don't have regular meal hours. I eat when I am hungry.

Pretty much, I summed it up in the first sentence, Starsong. It talks about the different foods that are in our SAD (standard American diet), and how eating these processed foods has affected our bodies and our overall health.
    It is one of those films that , if you are interested in learning about eating healthier foods, it is worth the time it takes to watch it, and if you are not interested in that, then it is wasted time for you.
    The speaker is very interesting, and easy to listen to, and makes his points very well, and I really didn’t think that I listened to this for a whole 2 hours, it was so interesting.
    I would suggest just trying it out, and watch for as long as you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    I am a lucky man. i'm 85. I eat whatever I feel like. No restrictions. No diabetes.

But i don't eat a lot. Very small meals. My weight is almost exactly what it was when I was playing football in high school.

The real secret of course is eating small meals. You don't need huge smorgasbords.

I go on kicks. Every once in awhile I crave pastries. But it doesn't last.

And I don't have regular meal hours. I eat when I am hungry.
    Lucky you! Live long and prosper

How did people born in 1900 live to old age? I try to eat fairly healthy but the health kick is monster rip off. Just look at the supplements section is stores while it has never been established taking vitamins is helpful. Look at fish oil for example they are everywhere. Why?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.