Personal Profiles

Personal Profiles

You know what really pisses me off? People that join a forum and the leave their profile page blank. Ancient Mariner, I am talking to you and a few others.
    What is so freakin secret that you can tell us absolutely nothing about yourself?
    Nobody wants your bank account balance, nobody is asking for a phone number, nobody needs to know the shape of the birthmark on your cootchie.

What is nice to know is your state, kind of music, rural or urban, left or right,married or single, alive or dead.

Just a little sketch to let others know where your views are based from.

This ain't my board but if it was.........

What makes it funny is that they can make up the whole thing, without a shred of truth, and still nothing.

I'm with you 100%. There are times I would like to respond to a poster, but without even knowing their Gender, or approximate location where they live, it's sometimes difficult to make a proper reply. There is certainly no need for a lot of personal information in the Profile, but I think anyone who posts on these forums should at least supply some "Basic" information.
    "Do Not regret growing older...it is a Privilege denied to many."

Well said Don. MY thoughts also. I think they're rather cowardly.

I'd like to know gender and general area the person is from. If they don't want to disclose anything else, it doesn't bother me; certainly not worth getting upset about.

I try to be as vaguely accurate as possible. I have recently decided to remove my birthdate/year from forums. If I am mandated to put one in, I will often fudge a but. Different date or month, and off by a year or two.
    Don't Stop Believing

I agree with gender and state. I'm disappointed when I read a post that says, "Where I live, we don't pay any taxes" or "Where I live, our barometric pressure is so even that we never feel any arthritic pain..." and then you're left wondering "where?". How are those posts helpful? It can at least be one's state or country they live in. No one can find a person with that info alone, but it adds a lot to the discussions here and is more engaging.

And sometimes I don't respond to someone's post if I don't know their gender because I'd hate to say something geared for men when the poster is a woman. I wouldn't want to offend her. I wouldn't want to say, "You're lucky you can get away with not shaving the hair on your legs" if I'm posting to a female.
    "Nothing is so Kingly as Kindness, and nothing so Royal as Truth"

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    What makes it funny is that they can make up the whole thing, without a shred of truth, and still nothing.
    Yes, and yet some people still attach sooooo much importance to a profile. Anyone can type anything and post as their profile.

As I already said, gender and country/state are nice to know but beyond that I don't see why some people get bent out of shape about it to the extent of name calling, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    I'm with you 100%. There are times I would like to respond to a poster, but without even knowing their Gender, or approximate location where they live, it's sometimes difficult to make a proper reply. There is certainly no need for a lot of personal information in the Profile, but I think anyone who posts on these forums should at least supply some "Basic" information.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by applecruncher View Post
    I'd like to know gender and general area the person is from. If they don't want to disclose anything else, it doesn't bother me; certainly not worth getting upset about.
    Gender is an interesting one. I once joined a forum,and withheld my gender. It was very interesting to note that my reception as a newbie was quite different. The men used to go quite silly over every new female and sounded like ridiculous school boys (it was a seniors forum with mostly Aussies as members). I avoided this nonsense until I disclosed by my posts that I am a woman.

Birthday? Not a good idea because it is a key identifier sought by people who want to steal identities.
    Right or left? That is an impertinence. I believe in the secret ballot and how I vote is my business but if you read my posts you will get some clues.
    Location? My city is enough for people to know the country but not enough for trolls and identity thieves to create mischief.
    My family ? I guard their privacy carefully.

I seldom look at anyone's profile deliberately but occasionally click on their username when I am really after the latest post in a thread. I certainly don't expect to see anyone's autobiography.

On Twitter and Facebook I am even more guarded. I am no coward but have no desire to be stalked by anyone who takes a dislike to me online. If I trust you enough I will sign pms with my given name but never my family name.
    “Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.” - George Orwell

I had to check mine as I’ve been here since late 2014 and I’d forgot what I’d actually added
    I have Im Female ,Married ,and I live in Australia

meh - I think my profile indicates my gender, but I know some folks assume I'm Hoot and hence male, and some assume I'm Annie and female. {shrug} So unless the topic is gender specific, why does it matter? If the topic is somehow gender specific, then share in that post if not in your profile

I'm with Lara on the location thing - if you bring it up in a post, you should share what that location might be in the post. We don't need your street address, but enough info to put your post in some meaningful context

Hoot and/or Annie from the middle of nowhere

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.