Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Zillow Search

Quote Originally Posted by terry123 View Post
    Yes, I am in a 2bdr, 2 bath and feel the need to downsize. A lady starting a bookmobile is coming to get most of my books. I will keep my Gibran ones and others I love. Ferns are easy to grow. When I had a house and greenhouse and my mom came to visit, she wanted to know if I needed 40 ferns. I said, need, no, but want, yes. There were several varieties plus the large staghorns on the trees. I told the kids to only get me gift cards to Krogers, etc for gifts as I don't need anything else to dust.
    For at least the past five years we've asked our kids to only gift us with consumables - and consumables that we'll actually use. (Please no "interesting foods" like pineapple-jalapeno-mint jelly. After sitting in my pantry for 3 months that jar is going to find itself in the trash. Or perhaps the food donation box on the off chance that someone finds it appealing. And no more liquor. We barely drink anymore and our liquor cabinet is so well stocked that we could open a small tavern.)

We are grateful that we've been so blessed as to not need any more "things."
    “The world needs a sense of worth, and it will achieve it only by its people feeling that they are worthwhile.” - Fred Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by terry123 View Post
    Yes, I am in a 2bdr, 2 bath and feel the need to downsize. A lady starting a bookmobile is coming to get most of my books. I will keep my Gibran ones and others I love. Ferns are easy to grow. When I had a house and greenhouse and my mom came to visit, she wanted to know if I needed 40 ferns. I said, need, no, but want, yes. There were several varieties plus the large staghorns on the trees. I told the kids to only get me gift cards to Krogers, etc for gifts as I don't need anything else to dust.
    I would be interested to learn how you make out looking for a 1-1 condo. I wonder if there any in Houston.

My wife and I would really like to downsize. The problem is finding a condo that has ample storage, so that we don’t have to sell or get rid of everything. We have been looking for quite some time.

We looked at a really nice 2/2/2, but the only storage was a space above the garage that had a pull down ladder to access it. At our age and getting older, I think that’s out of the question. It didn’t even have a basement.

We thought about renting a storage shed, but then every time we’d need or want something, we would have to run to the shed. It just wouldn’t suit our lifestyle.
    "SEMPER FI"

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post

My wife and I would really like to downsize. The problem is finding a condo that has ample storage, so that we don’t have to sell or get rid of everything. We have been looking for quite some time.

We looked at a really nice 2/2/2, but the only storage was a space above the garage that had a pull down ladder to access it. At our age and getting older, I think that’s out of the question. It didn’t even have a basement.

We thought about renting a storage shed, but then every time we’d need or want something, we would have to run to the shed. It just wouldn’t suit our lifestyle.

I've thought about down-sizing for years... only to find out that smaller homes in this area cost just as much if not more than my current 2200 sq ft home and those neighborhoods are not near as nice as mine. Since communal living [apartments/condos] is not for me, I've decided to stay put until an alternative arises that is clearly more beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by KingsX View Post
    I've thought about down-sizing for years... only to find out that smaller homes in this area cost just as much if not more than my current 2200 sq ft home and those neighborhoods are not near as nice as mine. Since communal living [apartments/condos] is not for me, I've decided to stay put until an alternative arises that is clearly more beneficial.
    A friend cautioned me about exactly this, KingsX, because my husband and I are thinking of downsizing. She said that by the time her realtor and various fees were paid she was pretty much back where she started price-wise except in a smaller home with less resale value.

Moving to another area is a different matter altogether, of course.
    “The world needs a sense of worth, and it will achieve it only by its people feeling that they are worthwhile.” - Fred Rogers

Sometimes smaller is better. I've downsized twice, and am happy to be rid of the big house, all the upkeep, etc. I'm in a lovely 2 br. 2 bath condo in an immaculate, well-maintained building in a senior community on a golf course. It cost just under 200K.

There are only two negatives that I can think of: no big dogs are allowed (people do have small dogs or cats), and if you want to grill any food, you have to do it in the little park just outside of our building. Obviously, no grilling is allowed in a high-rise. Other than that, there are many advantages, particularly the social activities.

For people who like gardening, we have a community garden where you can rent an individual plot for $5 a year. I am happy with container gardening on my enclosed balcony.

The real estate websites including zillow and images are deceptive and misleading.
    I searched in 3 very different states and found that the condos, apartments, etc images
    did not clearly represent the property. It's what they choose NOT to show you that matters.
    When you go visit, you will see for yourself. The real costs of the property may be hidden also.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post

Had a 105 year old lady give me some great advice: "When I moved from a five bedroom house to a one bedroom apartment it was so stressful. What to get rid of, what to keep, what will fit. All that worry and stress and THIS is what we all end up with: (she points as she lists) a bed, a dresser, a TV and a chair".
    When we down sized that was our mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The real estate websites including zillow and images are deceptive and misleading.
    I searched in 3 very different states and found that the condos, apartments, etc images
    did not clearly represent the property. It's what they choose NOT to show you that matters.
    When you go visit, you will see for yourself. The real costs of the property may be hidden also.
    That is SO true!! When we moved 10 years ago from TX to PA to be closer to family, we found several homes on Zillow in PA to look at. When we got there and our agent was with us, we couldn't believe how deceptive the photos had been on Zillow. Now, almost every home for sale that is listed, the pictures are so terrible because the realtor's use their cell phones to take pictures. The rooms look dark and depressing!

Quote Originally Posted by DGM View Post
    Had a 105 year old lady give me some great advice: "When I moved from a five bedroom house to a one bedroom apartment it was so stressful. What to get rid of, what to keep, what will fit. All that worry and stress and THIS is what we all end up with: (she points as she lists) a bed, a dresser, a TV and a chair".
    When we down sized that was our mantra.
    You're right. This is very good advice. Thanks for passing it along.

Quote Originally Posted by StarSong View Post
    You're right. This is very good advice. Thanks for passing it along.
    She was the only patron I ever kissed........I walked into the apartment building one day and she said she had been waiting for me to get a "Birthday Kiss". I told her I never kissed patrons BUT when she told me she was 104 years of age I made an exception to my rule. She was sharp as a tack and extremely interesting. She outlived all three of her kids. Yes, it is good advice. I've advised many of my retired friends with it.

When you see a stranger, help him with his load,
    and don't go mistaking paradise for the home across the road.

Bob Dylan good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by KingsX View Post
    Eight years before I retired, we decided to hire a contractor and build our dream home and then sell it just after retirement. We built a home with just over 5000 sq. ft. with 5 bedrooms and 6 1/2 baths. It has a pool and is pretty well loaded. It's situated in a development with many similar homes with some that are larger and more expensive. They have had NO problem selling them. (Being located on a golf course helps when it comes to selling.)

Over the 51 years that we have been married, we have accumulated a lot of stuff. We have been looking for a smaller place, preferably a condo. I told my wife that when it comes time to downsize, I am leaving for a week while she tosses away whatever she feels we will no longer be needing the rest of the way. She plans on donating much of it, but some of it is just personal junk that has no use to anyone else, so that kind of stuff will be tossed.

BTW, we also owned a place in Florida at a naturist resort. It was a one bedroom, 1 1/2 bath condo with about 850 sq. ft. It sold in two days. We had owned it for almost 20 years, so we did pretty well price wise when we sold it. No one that I or my wife worked with knew that we owned it because people just do not understand the "naturist lifestyle." To most people, it just means that it's a place that is all about sex, which couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, our association had very strict rules about what a person could or couldn't do. They held it to a zero tolerance and any infractions would likely get you expelled.

I also wanted to comment about pictures of cars being sold. If you are looking for a good used car and you use a website like cars.com, be careful. Some of those guys working in the social media department are very creative and have the ability to make a Chevy look like a Lexus. I drove a long distance to look at a high priced car that I thought was a good deal and I was ready and prepared to buy with cash in hand. The description, however, didn't even come close to the actual car itself. So, be careful.
    "SEMPER FI"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.