Zillow Search

Zillow Search

I just did a search for smaller homes than the monstrosity I have now. So few homes for sale with my criteria in this area (between $100K and $250K, centrally located to town, with 2-car garage, between 1200 and 1500 sq ft). They are either larger than mine or look more run-down than what I have or way out in the sticks.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

That's a shame.

Just a suggestion Deb, but if I were you, I'd look into something like a condo or townhome, something where you wouldn't have to worry too much about maintenance or shoveling snow, etc. I don't think it's a good idea for you to get into another house, especially one that is run down, the one you're in now is bad enough with all the problems and headaches.

I second that!

Sometimes the quality of life is more important than money.

I would also consider investing the money from the sale of the house and renting an apartment in an over 55 complex.

I looked at a one bedroom in a senior citizen complex in my area that had a washer and dryer in each unit, emergency call bell, security entrance that requires a sign in, cable television, garage, shopping shuttle, community activities, etc... A one bedroom with everything included was approx. $1,250.00/month. I'm keeping the place on my list of options for the next move.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    Sometimes the quality of life is more important than money.

I would also consider investing the money from the sale of the house and renting an apartment in an over 55 complex.
    Well said Bea, especially when you get to be our ages. Also think an over 55 apartment or other housing for the senior crowd is an excellent idea if affordable.

I appreciate your advice. Two year ago I investigated senior housing in this area. They have two criteria - subsidized housing where there is an income limit (single person can't earn over $40K a year) or the ones that cost $5K or more a month for rent + utilities. I only net an average of $3K a month, so I'd be losing money in a place like that.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by debodun View Post
    They have two criteria - subsidized housing where there is an income limit (single person can't earn over $40K a year) or the ones that cost $5K or more a month for rent + utilities. I only net an average of $3K a month, so I'd be losing money in a place like that.
    Deb, don't consider it as "losing money", you're not losing anything, you're spending it to make the rest of your years that much nicer, safer and easier for you. Money well spent in my opinion! I suggest you start thinking of such things in a different and more positive way. Remember.....you can't take it with you.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.