Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

3% 5 Year CD @ Mercantil Bank

City Credit Union is offering a 5 year CD at 3.5%

Locations in Texas = Dallas, Denton, Rockwall, Kaufman, Ellis, Grayson and Cooke counties.

Length of term APY

3 Months 1.00%
    6 Months 1.50%
    12 Months 2.50%
    18 Months 2.50%
    24 Months 2.75%
    30 Months 2.75%

36 Months 3.00%
    48 Months 3.25%
    60 Months 3.50%

https://www.citycu.org/en/certificat...t-cd-promotion

phew , PPL lost 22% the last year including the dividends . not good at all for anyone holding it since last year . . in fact if you owned it the last 10 years you lost about 1% a year even with dividends included.

a dividend paid out out without matching appreciation just drives a stock price lower and lower each payout . hope you have better luck , nothing i would entertain owning . these poor investors who chase dividends and think utilities are safe got hammered in it .

over the last 10 years an investor would have had a bigger balance if they put the money under a mattress and just pulled the amount of the dividend out since owning the stock actually lost 1% on average a year more than the dividend paid .

i can't see owning this over an s&p 500 fund , you can't even say it is safer after it lost 22% in one year .

all returns include the dividends

------------ppl-------- -s&p 500

1yr-- - minus 22%-------- plus 13.90%

3 yr--- 4.13%--------- plus 11%

5yr ---5.96% ----------plus 13.54

10yr---- minus 1.44------ plus 9.73

15 ----year 6.03----------- plus 9.21

Quote Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
    phew , PPL lost 22% the last year including the dividends . not good at all for anyone holding it since last year . . in fact if you owned it the last 10 years you lost about 1% a year even with dividends included.

a dividend paid out out without matching appreciation just drives a stock price lower and lower each payout . hope you have better luck , nothing i would entertain owning . these poor investors who chase dividends and think utilities are safe got hammered in it .

over the last 10 years an investor would have had a bigger balance if they put the money under a mattress and just pulled the amount of the dividend out since owning the stock actually lost 1% on average a year more than the dividend paid .

i can't see owning this over an s&p 500 fund , you can't even say it is safer after it lost 22% in one year .

all returns include the dividends

------------ppl-------- -s&p 500

1yr-- - minus 22%-------- plus 13.90%

3 yr--- 4.13%--------- plus 11%

5yr ---5.96% ----------plus 13.54

10yr---- minus 1.44------ plus 9.73

15 ----year 6.03----------- plus 9.21
    Probably missing is the understanding that we live a simple life and don't depend on that stock alone. We are building a way to help assure the well being of our kids. It would take up more space and be useless to explain how platinum & Kraft stock back in the 1980's played their part in our living a comfortable life now. Wealth isn't the be all in our life. Not depending on government for our needs and wants works for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Probably missing is the understanding that we live a simple life and don't depend on that stock alone. We are building a way to help assure the well being of our kids. It would take up more space and be useless to explain how platinum & Kraft stock back in the 1980's played their part in our living a comfortable life now. Wealth isn't the be all in our life. Not depending on government for our needs and wants works for us.
    there is nothing to mis-understand , it has been a risky , poor peforming stock for 15 years and was crushed by a simple index fund that has zero individual company risk to boot .

while a SIMPLE s&p 500 fund has just market volatility risk , a stock like ppl has not only market risk but individual company risk .

if you were compensated for the added risk then great but this has lagged badly . listen it's your money and i won't tell anyone what to do , but you may want to think about this .

" We are building a way to help assure the well being of our kids."

Our "kids" are building their own future's...whatever that may be. We don't intend to risk our "well being" just so they can have a comfortable future. They work. They know what the risks are by not saving or whatever. We've discussed these issues with them and they understand that they will need to have a LOT more money than us when, and if, they can ever retire. They are doing a good job so far.

We're taking care of ourselves and being frugal with what we DO have. No risky stocks, or mutuals, etc. for us. We've been down that road and lost nearly everything back in '08 with bad advice from a "financial advisor". Never again. If you have money you can play with and are in a position you can not worry about losing it....good for you. Not all of us are that well-heeled to take the risk. Good luck.

Nothing to think about mathjak. Our quality of life doesn't depend on this one stock. As a gift to our kids when the time comes, along with the recent shares we bought whatever they wind up with will help them. 38 years of accumulating never to be used or sold hopefully will exceed 50,000 shares or more to be their inheritance along with whatever is left over from our portfolios. Projections of less Soc. Sec. and the way health care costs escalate even though they are doing well now, the future looks bleaker than now. BUT should the need arise to sell there would be no hesitation since our kids are doing well

My intent was to point out buying opportunities exist. There my be some that would like a $2000.00 capital gain less short term capital gains taxes in one month. Long term except for the platinum futures I took a chance on in the !980's & Kraft stock works for us. Positioning us to live well on our 2 Soc. Sec. checks, 2 pension checks, 2 MRA checks each or 8 sources of taxable income each every month is enough. Not actually checks since all that is electronically deposited spread out over each month.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Nothing to think about mathjak. Our quality of life doesn't depend on this one stock. As a gift to our kids when the time comes, along with the recent shares we bought whatever they wind up with will help them. 38 years of accumulating never to be used or sold hopefully will exceed 50,000 shares or more to be their inheritance along with whatever is left over from our portfolios. Projections of less Soc. Sec. and the way health care costs escalate even though they are doing well now, the future looks bleaker than now. BUT should the need arise to sell there would be no hesitation since our kids are doing well

My intent was to point out buying opportunities exist. There my be some that would like a $2000.00 capital gain less short term capital gains taxes in one month. Long term except for the platinum futures I took a chance on in the !980's & Kraft stock works for us. Positioning us to live well on our 2 Soc. Sec. checks, 2 pension checks, 2 MRA checks each or 8 sources of taxable income each every month is enough. Not actually checks since all that is electronically deposited spread out over each month.
    it's your money , good luck with it .

for the others here , this is why you don't chase yield and why you never should think that stocks of any type and cd's are ever replacements for each other .

I like utility stocks but I own eight not just one. I believe in diversity .

Quote Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
    it's your money , good luck with it .

for the others here , this is why you don't chase yield and why you never should think that stocks of any type and cd's are ever replacements for each other .
    Thank you for the good wishes. Were enjoying what works for us & hope you are enjoying what works for you. As we both know others will do as we do figure out what works for themselves.

With inflation at rock bottom CDs are safety and gain.

inflation at rock bottom? we are running at 2.80% annual rate as of last report this month . so you need a cd that covers that plus taxes to break even. you would have to go out 3 years most likely to be a head but most likely you will be behind again 2 to 3 years out

https://www.usinflationcalculator.co...flation-rates/

I have a CD coming due at another bank this week, so I called my local bank who has offered a 3% 5 year CD for a few months now.

Beginning this week, the rate has been increased to 3.50% for new money... how's that for wonderful synchronicity !!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.