Things that make growing old easier, even pleasurable.

Things that make growing old easier, even pleasurable.

Here are a few things that have made my growing older much easier,fun, interesting,educational, exciting, pleasurable.

Internet, Amazon Prime, Uber, On Line Forums,Full Body Massages, You Tube,Face Book, GrubHub, Online grocery delivery, Netflix, ROKU,

For me, it's all about staying active and fit, and avoiding laying around in front of the TV or computer for hours at a time. Keeping the excess weight off, and doing as much physical labor as I can stand is working well so far. Outside of a minor bit of arthritis, my doctor visits are little more than "formalities" and the annual checkups. I just had the Medicare approved low dose CT scan of the lungs last week...checking for COPD or any signs of cancer...and that went well. I hope this regimen keeps me physically fit and prescription drug free for several more years.
    "Do Not regret growing older...it is a Privilege denied to many."

Lon, I like your list
    Sarah

I’m with Don M. but I’m also not as old as most. I’m trying to stay very active and eat healthy to keep arthritis at bay. I’m also learning things about the stages of aging from others here which makes growing old not as scary.

Learning to prioritize things is helping but so is learning to let stuff go. Letting go of stuff that really doesn’t matter can be very pleasurable. I’d love to go for full body massages especially since our insurance pays for it but I’m not quite there yet.

I have learned about services available from helping my parents but I think by the time we are ready to fully retire there will be more options available for when we need assisted living. One thing I know I will not do is go to an old folks home.

Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    For me, it's all about staying active and fit, and avoiding laying around in front of the TV or computer for hours at a time. Keeping the excess weight off, and doing as much physical labor as I can stand is working well so far. Outside of a minor bit of arthritis, my doctor visits are little more than "formalities" and the annual checkups. I just had the Medicare approved low dose CT scan of the lungs last week...checking for COPD or any signs of cancer...and that went well. I hope this regimen keeps me physically fit and prescription drug free for several more years.
    Staying Active and physically fit is a given Don, but you are only76, I was still scuba diving, walking 18 holes of golf three times a week at age 76, AND THEN developed two Auto Immune Diseases that curtailed my staying fit regimen. Now, I am growing old following suggestions from my initial post. I do walk at least two miles daily with my walker. BTW --I am 6 4 175 lbs.

Lon just a query...6 feet 4 inches is very tall.....is that the height you are now..or have you shrunk any?

I was 6'-1"when I entered the military. At 84 now I am 5'-11". My wife, now 82 has dropped 2-1/2" since her height at 20.

I am 6'2", I used to be 6'4". I am a few months older than Lon, so it must be an age thing.

My grandmother used to say she was wearing off on the bottom and shrinking from the top. LOL! Me too!

Grandchildren help a lot. I love that we can just get up and go, and that we can visit places during the week and avoid the crowds. I love not having a boss (not counting the Hubs, who thinks he's my boss, but totally isn't!)

#1 is the Internet. An amazing advance in communications. In fact, it's probably #s 2-10 as well !

#2 health care. We have standing monthly appointments with an acupressurist, an acupuncturist, and a massage therapist. We also take specific supplements, and thankfully have been able to keep the # of prescriptions low.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.