Ask Me About My Assisted Living

Ask Me About My Assisted Living

This is a question that I doubt many living in AL can or would answer. I will in the hope that I have information that may be beneficial to others. Short of just up and dying early, all seniors will eventually reach some level of incapacitation and need to make BIG adjustments in their day to day living. So I pose the following question: Do you want to decide for your self or leave it to some one else as to what those adjustments entail?

My hope is that I'm able to paddle my own canoe to the very end!

I'm like you Aunt Bea, if something were to happen to my husband, I'd still want to stay in the home I have now, and if assistance is needed at some level in my future alone, I would try to have someone reputable come in and help me out. I'm in my mid 60s now, so I still plan on being able to be on my own for quite a long time, hopefully to the very end.

I plan on staying here as long as I can. I would love to be able to live in a place like yours but can not afford to.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    I'm like you Aunt Bea, if something were to happen to my husband, I'd still want to stay in the home I have now, and if assistance is needed at some level in my future alone, I would try to have someone reputable come in and help me out. I'm in my mid 60s now, so I still plan on being able to be on my own for quite a long time, hopefully to the very end.
    "someone reputable "

Is the hard part to find. Whether it is in-home, or nursing / assisted living facility.

Heard just recently on the news about another senior, losing thousands of dollars to some crooked "care-giver". Last they reported, her family was going to take her in. Her family stepping up is very nice , but of course that is the beginning of the end to her independence . Live under someone else's roof..ya live under their rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

Don't delay and wait until the last minute to PADDLE YOUR CANOE. Start making plans right now.

I'll make decisions as long as I'm able to. Have our durable healthcare power of attorney doc in place and on file with the HMO.

Discussed the POLST form with my doctor this last visit but she says I'm a long ways from needing one. Let's hope she's right, LOL.

Although my MIL did not have a POLST form, after her brain aneurysm we knew what she wanted so it wasn't difficult for us. She passed away three days later.

People can "wish" all they want that they'll be making decisions all the way to the end, but I'd guess at least one-third to one-half of people aren't able to do so. So making your wishes known, and putting it in writing as well, is a necessity.

My spouse would have no trouble 'pulling the plug' if my quality of life was suffering, and vice versa. We need to start pulling in our successor agent and make sure she knows what we want, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Don't delay and wait until the last minute to PADDLE YOUR CANOE. Start making plans right now.
    I agree, Lon!

A part of paddling my own canoe is making decisions on my own that will be of help to me in the future.

I want to be the one to choose an AL facility and also be the one to choose to move to a different one if it feels right to me.

I hope that I can identify an enabler that can take over and follow my wishes if and when the time comes.

I'm honestly uncertain about how to do that.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

If this picture is any example of your canoeing skills, I think you'd better put in some practice time before your canoeing is really needed.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.