Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Where We Are Today is because of Choices

I tend to agree....to a minor degree....with Lon, and his assumption that many Seniors are in financial duress due to poor financial decisions they made during their working years. However, there is, IMO, an even larger reason for Seniors living with little financial security....which has NOT been mentioned in this discussion. That reason is DIVORCE. Unless both spouses are lucky enough to have good paying jobs when they decide to divorce, they quickly find that they are both taking a huge "pay cut" by divorcing. Then, if there are children involved, the child support funding, and the need to maintain two households, etc., quickly puts both parties into a "minimum wage" situation....with little hope for building up any reserves for their retirement years.

Marriage, and the ability to remain so, is often the most stressful experience in most peoples lives. Two people cannot live together peacefully, for decades, without having some "eruptions". Choosing a good "life mate", and being able to work through the issues that develop, over the years, is becoming increasingly uncommon. Present statistics indicate that over 40% of today's marriages end in divorce, and I would submit that many of those people are headed for a lifetime of financial problems.
    "Do Not regret growing older...it is a Privilege denied to many."

Don M, the thought of divorce also came to my mind but I didn't post it. I also think some people will forget how lucky they are. I posted this on another senior forum that my own mother snickered that there were people living in their nice adult mobile community on social security only. She seemed to forget, even with her own background, that her income was less than 600 dollars a month. Their comfortable retirement was all from my stepfather's social security and county pension.

I also think people forget that their lives go on with services provided by people who make low wages and work at menial jobs. For example there are people at Lon's nice assisted living who clean and do the dishes. Their services help make his life what it is. Are they lesser people?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitties View Post
    Don M, the thought of divorce also came to my mind but I didn't post it. I also think some people will forget how lucky they are. I posted this on another senior forum that my own mother snickered that there were people living in their nice adult mobile community on social security only. She seemed to forget, even with her own background, that her income was less than 600 dollars a month. Their comfortable retirement was all from my stepfather's social security and county pension.

I also think people forget that their lives go on with services provided by people who make low wages and work at menial jobs. For example there are people at Lon's nice assisted living who clean and do the dishes. Their services help make his life what it is. Are they lesser people?
    Of course they are not lesser people but I know for a fact what staff and workers at my facility earn and it's much more than minimum wage nor is it menial work. Regardless, their working here is by CHOICE.

Sorry Lon as some have pointed out, you just will not get it. There is no use trying to discuss further.

On the last day of school, (I was a teacher) I used to give my kids a pep talk -- the choices you make determine the life you lead. Mostly I wanted them to do the right thing, don't smoke, don't have kids too young, and acquire a skill so they could get a good paying job. I always emphasized that a skill didn't always mean a college degree. if you get all the truly important things right, then it's easier to weather the storms of life. I also told them that in life the playing field wasn't ever level, but hard work can go a long way.

As for the Hubs and myself, we saved for our retirement since we were 25. I give all the credit to him for that. We paid attention in school, showed up on time, worked hard, lived within our income, and stayed married. Neither of us were born to privilege, not even close. Were we just lucky? A little. But we also made a long series of good decisions.

Some yes...others not at all. Some people did everything right but fell on hard times due to unexpected job loss, chronic medical issues that insurance stopped paying for (either themselves or their children). Some people work three jobs but still can't make it in this expensive environment. I read about a homeless couple in my state who lived with several others in a tent city that the city was getting ready to demolish so the people would have to move on. They both had high paying careers and in fact had become millionaires. I believe they were self employed so I imagine either they were under insured or their insurance dropped them when her husband had a catastrophic medical issue. Another man I read about was also a millionaire...forgot what happened...he wound up living with his father. Some people had been living the American dream. Good jobs, nice cars, beautiful homes and along comes a natural disaster which wipes them out. In the case here in N.J. several homeowners are still not back in their homes 5-1/2 years after Superstorm Sandy and the money promised to them by insurance companies and the Gov. Christie has not been forthcoming. So I agree with what others have said about it not always being a case of the choices we make.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.