Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My Tip For ALL Seniors

I got my first personal computer in the early 1990’s , because my daughter was in the Army and stationed in Germany. We had no good way of communication, and the time difference was huge, so even the few phone calls she could make had to be scheduled.
    After I got the computer, I could send her an email on my time, and when she was able to check her computer over there, then she could email me back.
    Instantly, we had every day communication again, and it was awesome for both of us !

Bit by bit, I branched out with using the computer, and found that it was an invaluable tool for learning new things, as well as communicating with my friends and family.
    Around 2011, Robin gave me my first iPad.
    After struggling with learning to use a touch screen, and navigate the different operating system, I fell in love with that thing, and have never used a regular desktop since.

I was sure that I didn’t want a smart phone, either; but when she showed up on my doorstep to trade in my old flip phone for an iPhone, I discovered that it was not a whole lot different than using my iPad, just smaller. I really loved that I could take good pictures with the iPhone, and gave away my digital camera.

My latest “gadget” is my Apple Watch, which Robin gave me when she upgraded to one of the new cellular watches.
    Now, I love that I can answer my phone right from my wrist (just like Dick Tracy did back in the old comic strip), I don’t miss important calls or notifications, and it is the most swesome fitness tracker ever.

I guess you could say that I have been kind of pushed into each new technology, but once I learn how to use it, I am seriously happy that I have it.
    So, I agree with Lon on this, that people who are confined to a house/apartment, or an assisted living facility, can have a lot of new doors open to them if they embrace learning things like computers and cell phones.

Just having a Kindle to read with is a great thing.
    The Kindle is more lightweight than most pocketbooks, and much smaller than any hardcover book; so people who can no longer hold a regular book to read can easily read with the Kindle.
    Plus, you can adjust the print size, so even if your eyesight is getting bad, you can read the extra large size print.
    I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars....... Og Mandino

I've been closely involved with "high tech" since I was 18...much of it has just become part of my normal life. I pick and chose that which will give some benefit...the Internet, for example, is one of the best things ever developed for most people, IMO. However, I've never felt the need for things like a smart phone, Facebook, of some of these gadgets like 'Alexa'.
    "Do Not regret growing older...it is a Privilege denied to many."

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderer View Post
    There are many people, of all ages, who do not embrace technology. They refuse to be herded like sheep, by the advertising industries efforts to push the latest gadgets on them. It's still OK to be an individual, and choose your own lifestyle. People shouldn't be judged by the kind of phone they choose. Technology, in it's worst form, is really a type of addiction.
    Agree. We recently spent a week visiting my sister and BIL in S. GA. They live on a large farm in the boonies; don't have internet (GASP!!!) and barely get cell phone signal. They get satellite TV and that's about the extent of their "technology." Somehow they manage to live happy, productive lives and though my BIL is 80, they are active and planning their next cross-country RV trip using paper maps and campground books. (They do have a non-smart cell phone for when they are traveling.)

I retired in mid 80s which was before computers were an essential part of everyday business. Bought first computer - a Toshiba laptop - in 1992 because of an interest in genealogy and a desire to research and build a family tree - possible with pen and paper but so much easier using a computer program such as Family TreeMaker.

Through the years I've updated my computers and added other electronic toys only if and when I felt it would add to my enjoyment of life. When I traveled, I loved the 18" TV satellite dish on my motorhome but only had the cell phone (read very early - brick size, $1.00 a minute service) at my daughter's insistence. She worried about me.

If I still traveled, I guess I'd have a GPS system but would probably rely more on my Rand-McNally Atlas to plan trips. Small screen wouldn't do it. Now I read with a Kindle and browse TV with a RoKu. I have a smart phone and an I-Pad only because they were gifted to me. Rarely use either. Other toys and activities keep me busy and happy.
    Life is an adventure to those with the courage to explore.

I just got off line on installing a new thermostat and they have Wi Fi systems that work your temperature, your door locks, your phone your home security and I have no sue for any of it. Get off your butt and go adjust thermostat, go lock the door, go start your car! The opposite of "go" is "stop" and if you stop going your heart will also stop.

Quote Originally Posted by fmdog44 View Post
    I just got off line on installing a new thermostat and they have Wi Fi systems that work your temperature, your door locks, your phone your home security and I have no sue for any of it. Get off your butt and go adjust thermostat, go lock the door, go start your car! The opposite of "go" is "stop" and if you stop going your heart will also stop.
    For seniors, this makes sense, since we are usually home most of the time and can easily make adjustments to the thermostats (or whatever) as needed.
    However, for someone who works all day, the smart thermostat is a great advantage. My daughter has one of these, and it warms the house up just before the usual time that she gets up, then lets it cool down while she is at work, and turns the heat (or AC) back up again when it is time for her to come home.
    If she were to get up in the middle of the night to have a cup of tea, the thermostat senses that she is there, and warms up her house for her automatically.

When she comes home at night, she not only opens the garage door with her smartphone, she unlocks her doors and turns on lights.
    Even when she is not home, she can adjust heat/cooling or turn lights on and off so that it looks like she is home.
    I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars....... Og Mandino

Quote Originally Posted by fmdog44 View Post
    Yes, but just think of the opportunities things like these "home WiFi" systems will certainly offer thieves. Once they figure out how to hack your Wifi, they can turn off your security system, unlock your house doors, load your car up with anything of value, and then drive off in your car.
    "Do Not regret growing older...it is a Privilege denied to many."

Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post

Yes, but just think of the opportunities things like these "home WiFi" systems will certainly offer thieves. Once they figure out how to hack your Wifi, they can turn off your security system, unlock your house doors, load your car up with anything of value, and then drive off in your car.

Well-said and so true !

I first learned computers in my 1970s job. I landed my dream career job in 1981 because I knew computers. But I didn't get my home desktop computer until 2000. Back then the internet was still like the wild west.

But now that technology is turning into a 1984 type mind and body control type monster... I am not interested in progressing further down that slippery slope... and can foresee a time in the future, when I might even go back to living like it was the 1960s.

I grew up with technology through my work. So I was exposed to computers very early and developed a bit of an interest in it personally. Now retired I try to keep up with at least the basics of technology; computers, ipads, and smart phones, etc. It still amazes me how powerful a smartphone is, built in GPS, location finder, face time (I talk to my daughter in the UK, every week face to face), built in pedometer for walking distances, picture storage, weather reports, looking up motels when we are traveling or sights in cities we visit, gas station locations and their prices, calendars and reminders, stock quotes, cnn, etc, etc. After a few days with one of these things they are very easy to use, and are not that easy to mess up.
    I look after my Mothers banking, and one of the banks is going pretty well "online", so now for a paper statement every month, they will be charging $2, $24 a year. More and more businesses are going in this direction.
    You don't have to go "all in" with technology, but dip a toe in with a smart phone or ipad, take a free course at the public library, and you are one giant step into current technology.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    Well said Meanderer, I completely agree. Life is more than keeping up with the latest smart phone, some people like myself, don't need or want a device that tracks where they go, what they say, and stores personal information about them. It's a matter of individual choice. There is an addictive factor also with some, their smart gadget becomes their best friend, literally...and sometimes their only friend.

That's true. I don't want all that new stuff, my flip phone works fine for what I need.
    My cat didn't like it when I paid attention to the computer either, she tried to get in between.

My husband had a computer in the house, that was his profession...1980....After 9/11 he had another state of the Art computer to work at home for 3 days a week, he worked across
    the Hudson River so the company had people working at home....It was for safety....It was a terrible time in our life....I worked in a school and we had computers....So when I retired
    in 2006 my husband bought me a lap top....I now have my 3rd one.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.