Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My Tip For ALL Seniors

Quote Originally Posted by connect1 View Post

That's true. I don't want all that new stuff, my flip phone works fine for what I need.
    My cat didn't like it when I paid attention to the computer either, she tried to get in between.

Smart kitty !

for each his/her own!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fmdog44 View Post
    I just got off line on installing a new thermostat and they have Wi Fi systems that work your temperature, your door locks, your phone your home security and I have no sue for any of it. Get off your butt and go adjust thermostat, go lock the door, go start your car! The opposite of "go" is "stop" and if you stop going your heart will also stop.
    Works for fetching water and firewood too

Seems folks have a penchant to create ease...then go to the gym
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

I’m with Lon on this one.

When I read these “evils of technology” threads (and we have a lot of them on here) I am reminded of my Great Uncle Clyde who felt the way about indoor plumbing. 😳 He was sure it signaled the downfall of civilization.

His lovely wife (I forget her name) had the good sense to tell him to get over himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post

When I read these “evils of technology” threads (and we have a lot of them on here) I am reminded of my Great Uncle Clyde who felt the way about indoor plumbing. 😳 He was sure it signaled the downfall of civilization.

When I was a young single mom, my toddler son and I lived in an old country farmhouse for about a year.
    There was no bathroom. The only sink was the kitchen sink. Baths were in a large zinc tub in the kitchen
    and the toilet was outside beyond the back yard [or a "chamber pot" in the bedroom.] Amazingly it worked out
    and I had no problems.

Today, I live in a house with three bathrooms and five sinks. But when I have to pay high plumber costs...
    I think about those good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Embracing technology is not being herded by advertising, it's a matter of individual choice and if it provides a benefit.
    Hey Lon, I have a nice bridge to sell you.

I built my first computer when I was 13 and only mainframes existed. I have been in all areas of the IT profession mostly in a corporate position. I am siting her typing on an Apple MacBook Pro with two Windows PCs and one desktop surrounding me. I have three iPads, an Apple Watch and iPhone. I have a lot of electronic devices hooked up to my home network. Technology was my life and hobby. When I move here none of my fiends owned smart phones or knew how to use a computer. Their wives did tough. It is still pretty much that way with the wives using and learning the technology and the husbands content not to. I found little in common with them as they did not even know much about search engines of social media, email, etc..

My dad died last year at 90. He lived alone for 20 years and unable to leave his house. I kept telling him to learn to use a computer so he could chat with others who shared his interest and communicate with the rest of the world. Computer illiteracy has been my job security for much of my adult life. My dad told me that he retired early because they were computerizing his job and he felt stupid because he did not understand it and retired early with a reduced pension. I once ran a company that I was computerizing and had one women refuse to use a computer and had to fire her despite her being one of the best employees. I offered to hire private teachers who deal with teaching older people how to use a computer at her home buy she flat out refused to accept new technology. I remember when I first setup my company for email. We had no one to email as most people had not even heard of it yet, I was working on the internet long before anyone outside of the government and Universities heard of it. There was such an uproar when we stopped typing memos, photocopying them and then mailing them out to 5 offices. Complaints of how impersonal they were, etc.. Now they cannot live without email. Same when I personally flew out to each office to install computers and teach the staff. They all complained and now they complain if the computer is down and I tell them to type up the documents until the computer or network is fixed.

However, senior citizens are still resistant to new technology. I help when I can and are have free training here but mostly women show up. I still have to email or call a wife to get hold of a male friend and have to bite my tongue when they are doing things that a PC can really help them with. It will get better as the younger generation ages.
    If you obey all the rules, you’ll miss all the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

My dad died last year at 90. He lived alone for 20 years and unable to leave his house. I kept telling him to learn to use a computer so he could chat with others who shared his interest and communicate with the rest of the world.

I used to love the computer that connected me and allowed me to chat with the world.
    But now I am beginning to hate it... because of the abomination the world has become.
    In other words, for me being connected and chatting with the world has become a negative.

Quote Originally Posted by KingsX View Post
    I used to love the computer that connected me and allowed me to chat with the world.
    But now I am beginning to hate it... because of the abomination the world has become.
    In other words, for me being connected and chatting with the world has become a negative.
    But you can always change this by not connecting.

just got my first smart phone last week . verizon is killing off the 3g network and will no longer support my flip phone .

Quote Originally Posted by gumbud View Post
    for each his/her own!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary O' View Post
    Works for fetching water and firewood too

Seems folks have a penchant to create ease...then go to the gym
    Both Gumbud & Gary are spot on!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.