Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Homesteaders

Quote Originally Posted by NancyNGA View Post
    HappyflowerLady, I tried searching for a picture of an old straw bale house and couldn't find one, only new ones. It seems to be popular now. Maybe because they covered the straw with stucco or concrete. I'll keep my eye out for an old photo. Thanks for the information. That was interesting.
    Didn't one of the Three Little Pigs have a house of straw?

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    The government had certain "proving up" requirements and one that I read was for an 8'x10' cabin, I'm not sure if the government provided specs for the cabins.

"The Rev. Vogt had a man take out lumber for the group and build our shacks, which were to be 9x12, but the builder evidently wasn't too good at measuring so they were 8x10.
    The lumber, hauling, and building cost me $12.50. I still have the bill. I had an oil heater, gasoline stove, dishes, store-bought chair, a box for a table, and cot. When I started living there, there weren't any single women on claims near there, but single men and women came fast that spring, also married couples." - Martha Stoecker Norby

https://www.sdhspress.com/journal/so...proving-up.pdf
    Very interesting Aunt Bea. I read quite a bit of her diary, saving the rest for later.

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    Didn't one of the Three Little Pigs have a house of straw?
    Temporarily interrupting this thread for Breaking News! (2015 )

The Ohio Department of Transportation removed three miniature houses a day after they were placed along U.S. 35 in the area where a semi hauling more than 2,000 piglets crashed on June 9, because they were a distraction for drivers, and officials feared they’d cause an accident.

Xenia residents discovered the houses Monday morning. They’d been placed there by an unknown person, and they were modeled after the houses from the Three Little Pigs folktale. One of the homes was made of straw, another was made of sticks and the last house was made of bricks.

Back to normal programming....

OMG, too funny, Nancy!

Quote Originally Posted by NancyNGA View Post
    HappyflowerLady, I tried searching for a picture of an old straw bale house and couldn't find one, only new ones. It seems to be popular now. Maybe because they covered the straw with stucco or concrete. I'll keep my eye out for an old photo. Thanks for the information. That was interesting.
    My estranged younger brother (68) built this home in 1999, shown in a real estate listing I found. It was all straw bale construction. He was a mason by trade, specialized in Finish construction methods. He also worked in Texas with a general contractor building straw bale homes across the border with a Mexican crew constructing homes for the workers at the waste treatment facility that was a joint venture with Mexico & the US. It's been 16 years since I talked to or had any contact with him or my younger sister, bad blood.

Him & his wife had a rather unique outlook on life. After it was finished, he gave an interview with one of the larger local papers. Pictures & all, the article was all about how it was constructed & pointed out the many ecological advantages of the construction methods. Me being a little sarcastic as my nature pointed out that it would have been more pertinent in those days if he hadn't stood in front of his massive fireplace that probably required a forest to keep burning.

He has tried several times to sell but anyone wanting to buy at those prices wants one of those newer tract homes of the same color & style as their neighbors. As my wife found with her crafts, nobody wants to buy just want to find out how it was created so they can do it. Yes, it looks like a firetrap but according to him they don't burn because of the tight packing & stucco covering. Can't say.

https://www.movoto.com/tremonton-ut/630-n-2300-w-tremonton-ut-84337/pid_yxlqb55boh/for-sale/

Jules Allen - Little Old Sod Shanty on my Claim
    Recorded in Los Angeles, CA. April 8, 1929

"Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms

A family off to find and settle their homestead, 1886. Photo from the National Archives

Today, May 20th, is the 156th anniversary of the signing of the Homestead Act by President Lincoln.

Doraville and the Hackenberg Family

Agnes Lamb on the day she filed on her homestead land near the town of Washburn, North Dakota, ca. 1906

Wow. I would love to have the land but times were so hard with survival being the #1 pastime.
    I bet kids were too busy to think about shooting up the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderer View Post
    NOTE: By clicking on the link above the picture, you will find their Family Journal. If you click on full screen and use the magnifier slide, at the bottom, you will be able to read the entries.
    Last edited by Meanderer; 05-21-2018 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderer View Post
    NOTE: By clicking on the link above the picture, you will find their Family Journal. If you click on full screen and use the magnifier slide, at the bottom, you will be able to read the entries.
    I just skimmed through that family journal, but found an interesting poem by William Hackenburg (1894-1967), p 221. He was not a homesteader, a WWI vet, maybe inspired by the Depression years? His poem sounds like my uncle, the WWII vet, always a bit of a rebel.
    wmspoetry.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.