Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Get a Laugh From My Lawnmower

Quote Originally Posted by debodun View Post
    I did find the owner's manual after an exhaustive search in the garage, if this is any help. BTW - the sales receipt was inside. I bought the mower on May 4, 1994 and it cost $339.00.

Attachment 52110
    I took a few minutes, and did a search on "MTD model (XXX) parts", where I entered model numbers from 130 through 148....and every one of them came up with some sort of riding lawn mower. That would indicate that sometime in the past 24 years, MTD has completely changed its model lineup, to the point where you will probably have little or no luck in finding a replacement part for this old mower. In recent years, MTD has begun to supply "entry level" mowers under various brand names...MTD, Yard Machines, Troy Bilt, etc., etc....and most of them are bargain brands with prices in the $150-$200 price range. For the $339 you paid 24 years ago, you could almost get a really good Toro, or Husqvarna mower today for not much more.

Bottom line...scrap this old mower....put a $5 price tag on it at your next yard sale, and go shopping for a new mower. I personally like the Toro brand (Home Depot), and Husqvarna (Lowe's). I have a Toro Personal Pace that I really like....it is variable speed, and goes as fast, or slow, as I chose to walk.
    "Do Not regret growing older...it is a Privilege denied to many."

Thanks for trying, Don. I looked at Lowe's mulching push mowers. This is the one they have that's closest to mine:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bolens-140-...Engine/4188561
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Just buy a big roll of duct tape and start wrapping it around the old wheel. Keep wrapping until it about the right diameter. It will last all summer!

Thanks for trying, Don. I looked at Lowe's mulching push mowers. This is the one they have that's closest to mine:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bolens-140-...Engine/4188561
    Yup, that would probably work, if you have a fairly level yard, where you don't need a "self propelled" mower. Bolens is a brand that has been around for a long time, and it is one of the many "brands" which MTD makes. For that price, you probably won't find one much cheaper...even at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
    Just buy a big roll of duct tape and start wrapping it around the old wheel. Keep wrapping until it about the right diameter. It will last all summer!
    I really like this solution! You can probably get similar results withe lots and lots of rubber bands.

Some photos of the undercarriage where the wheel is:

mower wheel3.jpgmower wheel4.jpg

If this were my maternal grandmother's mower, she probably would
    make a wheel for it out of two mayonnaise jar lids glued together - and it would work!

Evenually you can't get the parts. They don't make them anymore. Can you blame them.

Time for a new mower.

You will love it. No more folling around. Just get out and mow.

I mow for a friend of mine. We replaced the front wheels just before sears went out of business.

Gas or electric?

Gas or electric?
    If you can mow your yard in 45 minutes, or less, electric will work, and is much quieter......HOWEVER
    1. Electric mowers cost 2 or 3 times as much as a basic gas mower.
    2. If you forget to recharge the battery shortly after mowing, the battery life will be reduced.
    3. Replacing the mower battery is expensive...1/3 the cost of a new mower
    4. If you leave the charger plugged in for an extended period of time, you risk a fire....these things use Lithium batteries, which have a history of overheating and burning/exploding.

Personally, the Only battery powered tool I own is a drill....and I am careful on recharging it.

Thanks for the advice, Don.

My front yard is on a knoll. Every year it seems to get steeper. By the time I finish, I feel like the guy in this photo. That's why I prefer a self-propelled, mulcher.

uphill mow.jpg

Thanks for the advice, Don.

My front yard is on a knoll. Every year it seems to get steeper. By the time I finish, I feel like the guy in this photo. That's why I prefer a self-propelled, mulcher.
    Yes, a self propelled mower is the Only way to go...especially as we get older. The Bolens mower you sent a picture of in an earlier post is a simple and basic push mower....not self propelled. To get a quality self propelled mower, you can expect to pay in the $350, or more price range. I would also recommend one with rear wheel drive....the front wheel drive mowers can be difficult to use..especially around trees, etc.

Debodun, A self propelled mower is definitely the only way to go. You’ll pay more for one but they truly are amazing. Yep! I’ve got a Honda Rear Wheel Drive and I just love it. We also have some steep hills and that is tough work. Since you are not getting any younger I’d take Dons advice and purchase one. His advice is spot on. You won’t regret getting one.
    Parts on your old mower will be near impossible to get and possibly be obsolete now.
    Good luck with your new purchase.
    Last edited by Keesha; 05-18-2018 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keesha View Post
    Debodun,
    Parts on your old mower will be near impossible to get and possibly be obsolete now.
    It like trying to find someone that still does VCR repair.

I am a wealthy woman of leisure. Seriously considering hiring someone to do this. Trouble is that I did get some estimates - the least expensive one was "$50 to do the front and I'll do the back lawn for another $40."; the most was $200 for both lawns (my lawns total approx. 1/4 acre). At this time of year I'd need it done at least once a week until the grass goes into its summer funk. That could add up quickly to several hundred dollars. For 50¢ worth of gasoline and 45 minutes of my time, I'd have a psychologically difficult time shelling out for it. Here is an aerial photo of my property (which is narrow but long) with the areas I mow outlined (front yard, side yard on north side of house, backyard, side by garage and a small area in front and to the south of the garage).

lawn.jpg

If you can afford $1000+ per year for yard work, that would be an option...plus, if you are getting up in years, having someone do that chore might save you some future health/injury problems. You might also ask around to see if there are any school kids who are willing to do yard work....but, given that most of them can't quit "texting" for more than a few minutes, that may be wishful thinking. Years ago, starting about age 13, I roamed all over the neighborhood on my bicycle, doing yard work for Seniors...they supplied the mower, and I supplied the labor...for 2 or 3 dollars a yard. Those days are probably long gone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.