Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not Thinking Or Just Don't Care?

Shalimar, "... can certainly discuss which behaviour patterns are toxic to themselves and others,..." that is just about what I worked at teaching my children. My adult son and adult (2) daughters are very conscious of treating others with respect in all situations--whether they feel like doing so or not. However, my youngest adult daughter has a tendency to lose her temper when some ding-a-ling driver cuts her off, or whatever. Yet she still doesn't do anything stupid to retaliate.

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie View Post
    Shalimar, "... can certainly discuss which behaviour patterns are toxic to themselves and others,..." that is just about what I worked at teaching my children. My adult son and adult (2) daughters are very conscious of treating others with respect in all situations--whether they feel like doing so or not. However, my youngest adult daughter has a tendency to lose her temper when some ding-a-ling driver cuts her off, or whatever. Yet she still doesn't do anything stupid to retaliate.
    Sounds like you did an excellent job.
    Love is a verb.

This thread title reminds me of a blog I read, "The Entropy of Wisdom". Here is 3/4 of it but if you want to read the whole thing then here's a link: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dori-...b_4842576.html

...."As I get older, I begin to know who I am in ways that I never had an inkling of when I was younger. And the number one lesson I’ve learned is that I can only be me. Fortunately, being me, for me, has given me a real heads up on what I know works and what doesn’t work — for me. Perhaps this is why people are always saying that older people are stubborn; I bet it’s not because of what is perceived as a resistance to change as much as it is an honest sense of self that develops in people of age — one that says, "Hey, I know what works for me, and this doesn’t work, so I’m not budging."

"....The truth is, I don’t care about the world. I just want to get to the next day with as little drama as humanly possible. I’m not cold, I’m just not interested and that came about as a result of being too interested and stressed to the point of madness. I just can’t do it anymore. I don’t want to leave the world and I’m not that zen-ready for the ascetic life on a mountain. But I am in full knowledge of what I want: a peaceful life. And the only way I can have peace is by shutting out the noise of the world.

I’ve always thought that we, as a race, think too much. We’re too involved in minding each other’s business. One thought too many and all of sudden we’re disagreeing with someone. Shove some more thinking on top of that and before long, you’ve got yourself a full blown war, chocked to the max with people thinking about who owns what land, who deserves what rights, who should do this and who shouldn’t do that. All this over processing is madness, and I don’t want to be sucked into that black hole of voices, opinions, demands and ultimatums. I just want peace, the peace that occurs naturally when I stop listening to everyone thinking aloud and acting on their thoughts.

A few weeks ago, I found myself not caring and it troubled me. I wondered if, at some point, I just wouldn’t care about anything, if perhaps my actions were streamlining me right to the loincloth and the meditation cave. No, that’s not me either. In the same way that it’s always a good idea to pick and choose our battles, so it's a good idea to choose our mental state and how we arrive at that place. The only way I, personally, can go on as a happy, thriving person — a person who creates and enjoys beauty, a person who delights in life’s simplicities — is by saying no to complexities that are beyond my control. There are always enough problems to deal with personally. I never have to look past my own front door for more.

My life is simple. Make art, be a mother, pay the bills. This trilogy of actions has everything I need. It contains all my personal possibilities, both good and bad. But... someone else’s problems? An entire world’s problems? Sorry, I just don’t have it in me anymore.

Knowing this made life easier for me. Living this is as close to peace as I can imagine. This works for me. This is the gift of age. It takes a very long time to get old, but once you’re there, the answers come fast and furious. I guess that’s the entropy of wisdom. Let’s just hope I don’t lose my interest in writing.

Then again, if I stopped writing, would it matter?"

Last edited by Lara; 05-17-2018 at 09:34 AM.
    "Nothing is so Kingly as Kindness, and nothing so Royal as Truth"

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    Which do you think people do more of, "not thinking" or "just don't care"?

My belief is, I think a lot of folks definitely know what they are doing, but they just don't care about others.

Take for instance:

Where you live, your bedroom faces a street or apartment complex parking lot. At 4AM, people come out of their apartment or house and are talking like it is 2PM in the afternoon. They are so loud, that you wake up.
    CR, I think this particular example may be just a case of wanting attention. Same with playing loud music with booming speakers from your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    I was thinking about this very thing over the last couple of days and I don't have an answer.

IMO many people have never been taught these simple things that were drummed into me by my parents.
    Me too. Me either. When it comes to driving I tend to agree, that some never learned manners of the road, never thought about what they are doing in terms of others. I suspect when they get older with a little more experience, they will either learn the golden rule, or develop extreme road rage tendencies. LOL

Lara, This is interesting

This thread title reminds me of a blog I read, "The Entropy of Wisdom". Here is 3/4 of it but if you want to read the whole thing then here's a link:
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dori-...b_4842576.html

All I hope for is room to avoid them -- can't change their behavior because I'm not law enforcement -- if they want the whole road, they can have it.
    Drama-free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.