Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What would you do?

That's why we have a Ring video doorbell. I can answer the door without opening it and talk to whoever, even if I'm not at home. It's a great gizmo.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolfromTX View Post
    That's why we have a Ring video doorbell. I can answer the door without opening it and talk to whoever, even if I'm not at home. It's a great gizmo.
    Did not know about this....will check it out...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie View Post
    How was he dressed--in a suit, in casual clothing?
    A was a very non-descript man - medium height and build with kind of a ferret-face dressed in a dark blue windbreaker (why the jacket on such a warm evening?) and a tan cloth pork pie hat.

BTW - he didn't come back last evening. I told someone at it in Bible study about the incident and she said it was probably someone going around to solicit voters because the town had an election on Tuesday.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    I would not open the door to anyone I do not know, unless they can show me identification that they are a police officer or a fire dept. person. I have decorative wrought iron (burglar bars) enclosing my front porch, so I can open the inside door and ask them what they want. Most people back up quickly when Bonnie (my big black dog) goes out ahead of me. But I would NEVER in any circumstance open my actual front door to anyone I did not know unless they showed me official identification.
    We seem to have similar opinions about security. For almost 30 years I've also had a front door area iron gated off with a double key dead lock and a release buzzer inside the house. Sadly, my big dog died a couple of years ago, but when she was still alive I'd open that front door and she'd lunge at the gate. Despite those iron bars between them and our dog, strangers instinctively backed up halfway to the sidewalk. (FedEx, UPS and USPS regulars would greet her by name and laugh at her shenanigans because they came to know that she was all bark and no bite!)

Even with the locked six foot buffer zone we don't always answer the doorbell. I'm very security conscious because I was brought up that way. Even though I grew up in a very small town where few locked their doors, my parents always did. They taught their children to be alert and wary.

I'd guess the person was a process server or someone casing your house.

Quote Originally Posted by debodun View Post
    A was a very non-descript man - medium height and build with kind of a ferret-face dressed in a dark blue windbreaker (why the jacket on such a warm evening?) and a tan cloth pork pie hat.

BTW - he didn't come back last evening. I told someone at it in Bible study about the incident and she said it was probably someone going around to solicit voters because the town had an election on Tuesday.
    Deb, I don't know why you are so worried about this. Just because somebody comes to your door doesn't mean you have an obligation to open it or interact with them in any way. You live alone, you've said, so IMHO it would be foolish to open the door to a person you do not know. Just don't do it, and quit worrying about it.

We get people coming to the door all the time, even though we have a no solicitors sign. I can talk through my front security door without opening it to someone, the top half is screen. I don't rush to get to it, usually they'll leave a card or pamphlet stuck in the door if I don't get there in time. If they're just selling something they get the bum's rush. I like the way you described him Deb , can't say I pay that much attention to detail. Yes, it could be political during certain times of year.

On Halloween I put an old scissors child gate across the steps of the porch then a heavy piece of furniture in back of it. Most people get the idea, but one year my doorbell rang and it was a woman with three kids in tow demanding treats for them. I asked her if she noticed the gate which she apparently threw to the side and moved the table behind it to get through. She said "Yeah. What's that all about?" I replied that I don't give out treats and put those deterrents there for that reason. She became agitated and that it was Halloween and everyone was obligated to give treats. I reminded her that there was no law
    in regard to that and if she didn't leave, I would call the police. She grudgingly left after making a rude hand gesture. Nice example for those kids!

gate.jpg
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

By me, the people who don't want to give out candy just keep their front porch light off and the kids don't bother to go up to the door. The welcoming houses keep their lights on.

what would you do if he returns?
    What I would do no doubt isn't what you would do
    but if I were you
    and he returns I would answer the door
    with it closed and still locked
    and a phone in your hand ready to call 911

in my case of course it would be a firearm in my hand.

On Halloween I put an old scissors child gate across the steps of the porch then a heavy piece of furniture in back of it. Most people get the idea, but one year my doorbell rang and it was a woman with three kids in tow demanding treats for them. I asked her if she noticed the gate which she apparently threw to the side and moved the table behind it to get through. She said "Yeah. What's that all about?" I replied that I don't give out treats and put those deterrents there for that reason. She became agitated and that it was Halloween and everyone was obligated to give treats. I reminded her that there was no law
    in regard to that and if she didn't leave, I would call the police. She grudgingly left after making a rude hand gesture. Nice example for those kids!

gate.jpg
    I would not have interacted with that woman at all. Simple fix -- just don't answer the door. People go away if you don't answer the door. If they don't, call the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    By me, the people who don't want to give out candy just keep their front porch light off and the kids don't bother to go up to the door. The welcoming houses keep their lights on.
    Same here.

While we're on the subject though, Halloween was one of my all time favorite holidays when I was a kid and remains so as an adult. As one of my sons said when he was little, "Halloween? What's not to love? You get to dress in a clothes you can't wear in public any other day, people are happy to give you free candy just for knocking on their doors and asking politely for it, and there are always leftovers in your own home's candy bowl." (A boy after my own heart!)

That said, people are not obligated to participate in the holiday and their wishes should be graciously respected. I'm sorry that the woman was so rude to you, Deb, and didn't take your pretty broad hint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.