Ah yes Revenue Canada indeed

Ah yes Revenue Canada indeed

So I receive a message on my phone from "Revenue Canada". Apparently if I do not return the call I am in BIG trouble.

So, after a bit of time, I decide to call the number 226-242-3741.....Lo and behold...

''Revenue Canada. This is agent Robert Smith, badge number RN 3423.....How may I help you?"

"Well, I'm returning your call. Glad you FINALLY got back to me. When will I be receiving my refund of $ 9,300.00?"

"What?"

"My refund. When will I get it ?"

At this point dead silence from "Robert Smith", who sounded a lot like an East Indian guy but I digress.....Finally he replies...

"May I have your name?"

"Sure. It's Maurice Richard. "

"Alright Mr. Maurice, I will look up your file....."

Then silence for a while as this "agent of the government" looks up MY file....He then comes back...

"Mr. Maurice, the reason for the call is to inform you that you are in arrears for the tax years of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015."

"Really? How much do I owe?"

"Mr. Maurice, you owe $6, 453.26. Now, I have to ask you did you do this intentionally to defraud the government or was it an honest mistake?"

"Are you serious? All you have to do is deduct what I owe and send me the rest.....When can I expect the refund?..."

This caused the "agent" to go into a rant about my defrauding the government and, If I did not pay, I will have my bank account frozen, my passport cancelled, my home and property seized and my parrot held hostage. Oh, and my driver's licence cancelled. There goes any chance to become an Uber driver.

So I told this agent that, if I had to pay how was this to be done? Simple, he told me. all I had to do was go to Wal Mart, buy $7,000.00 in "I tune cards" and all would be good. If not he would send the cops (his words) to arrest me and take me away in handcuffs......

Getting rather tired of this game I finally told this person what I thought of him and I knew it was a scam and that he should be ashamed of himself for trying to con people out of their money......He was not impressed. He ranted on that he was sending the R.C.M.P. to get me in the next 40 minutes.....I asked him to be sure it was Dudley DoRight....I hung up....AND, I'm still waiting for the knock on the door from Dudley....

Long story short please, folks, be very careful when answering the phone....

I had a similar call a couple of years ago, but I heard about the scam previously. I let him talk and threaten until the end when I told him off and told him he should be in jail behind bars. I guess some people pay these scammers off, very foolish thing to do. The IRS doesn't operate that way.

That was great Moosehead !!!!! Especially the Dudley DoRight part . HAHAHAA !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
    So I receive a message on my phone from "Revenue Canada". Apparently if I do not return the call I am in BIG trouble.
    So, after a bit of time, I decide to call the number 226-242-3741.....Lo and behold...

''Revenue Canada. This is agent Robert Smith, badge number RN 3423.....How may I help you?"

"Well, I'm returning your call. Glad you FINALLY got back to me. When will I be receiving my refund of $ 9,300.00?"

"What?"

"My refund. When will I get it ?"

At this point dead silence from "Robert Smith", who sounded a lot like an East Indian guy but I digress.....Finally he replies...

"May I have your name?"

"Sure. It's Maurice Richard. "

"Alright Mr. Maurice, I will look up your file....."

Then silence for a while as this "agent of the government" looks up MY file....He then comes back...

"Mr. Maurice, the reason for the call is to inform you that you are in arrears for the tax years of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015."

"Really? How much do I owe?"

"Mr. Maurice, you owe $6, 453.26. Now, I have to ask you did you do this intentionally to defraud the government or was it an honest mistake?"

"Are you serious? All you have to do is deduct what I owe and send me the rest.....When can I expect the refund?..."

This caused the "agent" to go into a rant about my defrauding the government and, If I did not pay, I will have my bank account frozen, my passport cancelled, my home and property seized and my parrot held hostage. Oh, and my driver's licence cancelled. There goes any chance to become an Uber driver.

So I told this agent that, if I had to pay how was this to be done? Simple, he told me. all I had to do was go to Wal Mart, buy $7,000.00 in "I tune cards" and all would be good. If not he would send the cops (his words) to arrest me and take me away in handcuffs......

Getting rather tired of this game I finally told this person what I thought of him and I knew it was a scam and that he should be ashamed of himself for trying to con people out of their money......He was not impressed. He ranted on that he was sending the R.C.M.P. to get me in the next 40 minutes.....I asked him to be sure it was Dudley DoRight....I hung up....AND, I'm still waiting for the knock on the door from Dudley....

Long story short please, folks, be very careful when answering the phone....
    You have a lot of patience.

Trust me. Do not respond. When you do they know they have a 'live wire'.

Ignore, ignore, ignore is the way to go.

We get the same rubbish down here. That is why we use caller ID to screen all calls. I don't know anything about Revenue Canada, but the IRS in the states never phones anyone.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.