90 Year Old Woman Lying on the Sidewalk

90 Year Old Woman Lying on the Sidewalk

A couple of weeks ago, I was out running some errands. My husband had been working on our Jeep, changing out a thermostat because it was overheating. He went to give it a short test drive in our neighborhood and he saw an elderly woman lying on the sidewalk, on her back. It was around 80 degrees that day and she was wearing a coat, which is typical for many elderly women, overdressing for the temperature outside and inside their homes.

She had two large bags (purses) she was carrying. He pulled over to see what was wrong and she said she was okay and just wanted him to help her stand up again. He lifted her carefully, as he had experience with his own mother who was thin and fragile, but she swayed and was not able to stand on her own. He ended up moving her onto a lawn in the shade until he could get her help. It was unclear where she lived or where she was going, but he knew she couldn't be left lying there alone.

He didn't have a cellphone with him, so he started ringing people's doorbells, starting with the house where the woman was on the lawn in the shade. He said it sounded like he heard kids in the house, but nobody answered the bell. After a couple of other houses, a man came out and talked to him about the woman. She wasn't familiar, he called 911 and they took her in to make sure she was alright, and would contact someone who may be related or help her.

They told my husband not to worry, that she would be okay and they had many calls like that on a daily basis, it was confirmed that she was 90 years old. Elderly folks that wander off, get confused and have a medical episode (or fall) in a public place. This isn't the first time he's helped older folks in trouble, and we felt good that she was taken care of. Harsh reminder of what may happen to any of us in the future. I hope if I'm in trouble like that, someone will help. He would have happily given her a ride home, if he knew where she lived, he didn't want to invade her privacy by going through her purse or pockets.

Has anyone here had something like this happen to them, or did you have to help someone elderly who was in need?

Awww.... thatís so sweet of your husband to do. What a caring man.
    I canít recall anything Iíve done except help someone in a car accident.
    Nothing out of the ordinary or heroic in any way.

He's a good guy, but anyone with any compassion would have done the same. Just glad somebody passed by before too much time passed, it a neighborhood in the suburbs on a week day, not many around.

Your husband sounds like a sweet man. Now a days there are so many people who refuse to get involved.

Nice of your husband, SB. Poor woman.

Long time ago I was going to my car (about 9PM, dark, cold winter night) and I heard a soft voice calling a name. I looked and it was an older woman laying on the icy parking lot. I tried to help her stand, but just then another woman came out (her friend) and together we were able to help her.

One sunny day couple yrs ago I was walking down the street and tripped & fell on an uneven spot in the concrete. A man & woman happened to be driving by and stopped to help me. I skinned my knee but was otherwise okay.

OTOH sometimes people don't want to help/get involved because they fear it might be a trick or scam OR if they touch/move a person they may be liable for further injury or asked to come to court.
    Last edited by applecruncher; 05-17-2018 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Typo

I'm glad you went to help that lady at night AC, in a parking lot she might have been run over. Happy to hear that some people also came over to help you out when you fell. I know what you mean about people fearing to get involved, these days there are some scammers who would be low enough to do something like that for the money. It's a shame anyone has to think twice before assisting someone who's hurt, I don't remember it being that way years ago.

It is a shame you have to think twice these days about helping people.
    Think of how afraid the lady was and how relieved she was to be helped by good people. Kudos.

Yes it did happen to me SB. I had backed out of my driveway and started up,the street and a large lady was flat on her face in her driveway. I ask her if she was hurt and she said no, they she loses her balance all the time. I had one heck of a job getting her to her feet as she was so big. Anyway, got her up and back into her house.

I notice as I get older, I’m starting to stumble more. In fact, my wife likes me to carry a cane when I walk in the morning now. Guess it’s just an age thing and we all face it sooner or later.
    I ate beans and onions....ended up with tear gas.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.